The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 2022 Olympics IIHF Hockey

Olympic Hockey format  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My personal feeling on this one if I am the owner: the owner should get whatever compensation for their service.  If IOC refuses to make any deal with NHL then I wouldn't let my own players play in the Olympic as they are my investment and my money and if they lose to the long-term injury, my investment is gone for the year.   I would protect my investment at all cost.   My ultimate money-maker is the playoffs so I protect my interests in term of making profits.  That is the reason why the NHL refused to let the players play in the Olympics.   If the players wants the Olympics, they'll have to be bargained for in the CBA to protect my interests as well.  

Now, as a fan, I think that the Olympics hockey is overrated and does not determine which country is the best in the world, even with NHL playing in the Olympics in the past as a lucky fluky goal can knock out a country, ie: Belarus goal against Sweden in 2002 via Salo as an example .   I hate that format as it's too short to determine a Champion.   Personally, I dislike the international competition.   I hate to cheer against my own players that plays for different nation.   

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Now, as a fan, I think that the Olympics hockey is overrated and does not determine which country is the best in the world, even with NHL playing in the Olympics in the past as a lucky fluky goal can knock out a country, ie: Belarus goal against Sweden in 2002 via Salo as an example .   I hate that format as it's too short to determine a Champion.   Personally, I dislike the international competition.   I hate to cheer against my own players that plays for different nation.   

Belarus beat Sweden 4-3 so it's not like the entire win was a fluke. And I'm not sure how Belarus is supposed to beat Sweden without any luck involved. And if you want the better team to always win then what's the point of even playing? Upsets are one of the best parts of hockey IMO

The winner of the tournament is the team that plays well enough to win when it matters most. This is another thing I like about international competition.

Also I don't see how it's bad to cheer against players on your favourite NHL team who play for a different nation. Couldn't it be argued that it's bad to cheer against your own nation's players who play for other NHL teams?

I cheer for players on the Canucks because I want the team to succeed. But in the Olympics, the Canucks aren't a team.

Archived