The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Behind the creation of the Canucks Orca Logo

Rush17

Haven’t seen this before. Kinda cool.

I really liked one similar to the logo at the 36 second mark. A “V”, shaped by the ice breaking; Canucks written over top in the center; and a orca Fin just above water at the top.

Happy with what we have now, though. The blue and green is a perfect colour scheme. The logo could improve but it’s been around long enough that’s time to stick with it.

I’ll try to find in on google...

Never liked the Free Willy logo, the Orca Bay era had some real low points under the less than interested Seattle billionaire John McCaw. Trevor was actually chucked out of town in 1998 to Long Island who had butt ugly uniforms too.

Green and Blue are our provinces colours, the stick in the rink is our heritage and our destiny - full circle!

I'll believe the fact its an Orca had nothing to do with Orca Bay when rainbows fly out of my butt.

The skate jersey is the best they ever wore but I would not be upset of they went back to the stick in the rink logo permanently. Time to ditch the Orca and the VANCOUVER jersey.

This is one team that I know of that has a identity crisis. 

The orca isn't my taste nor is the color scheme I hate the blue, green and white scheme just not appeasing to watch just my opinion. 

Before that the black alternative was pretty cool I do like the Canucks in black and I don't know why. Its like the black sheep of the NHL.

Canucks can't win. 

- I like stick in rink!

- I like downhill skate!

- I like orca!

- I hate the orca!

- I hate downhill skate!

- I hate stick in rink!

- We need to draft big fast players!

- We need to draft skilled players regardless of size!

- I hate absentee owners!

- I hate meddling owners!

Want more cheese with your whine? Only thing fans agree on is they are never happy. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Canucks can't win. 

- I like stick in rink!

- I like downhill skate!

- I like orca!

- I hate the orca!

- I hate downhill skate!

- I hate stick in rink!

Want more cheese with your whine? Only thing fans agree on is they are never happy. 

is this a bad time to mention that I never liked the current logo but love the idea of a killer whale?

from a design pov I wish they would separate the need to create a "C" shape (too much like the Habs imo) from the Orca itself, I think many better designs would come from that. I'd like to see a first nations artist get a crack at it too, a Haida design could look amazing. 

I am a Canucks fan, but I hate our whale logo...it's the worst logo in the league.   A logo, should, imo, reflect the team nickname.  Most NHL logos do just that...except the Canucks.  We are not the Vancouver Orcas....we are the Canucks and a Canuck is not a whale!   A Canuck is Johnny Canuck, or how about just the Stick and Rink.  Clean and simple and trad.   

One thing we have right is the colors...absolutely perfect.  Keep the colors, change the logo.  

1 minute ago, Zedlee said:

I am a Canucks fan, but I hate our whale logo...it's the worst logo in the league.   A logo, should, imo, reflect the team nickname.  Most NHL logos do just that...except the Canucks.  We are not the Vancouver Orcas....we are the Canucks and a Canuck is not a whale!   A Canuck is Johnny Canuck, or how about just the Stick and Rink.  Clean and simple and trad.   

One thing we have right is the colors...absolutely perfect.  Keep the colors, change the logo.  

the new stick in rink is a joke

I never understood the hate with the Orca. Don't understand the hate with the V, sure it could be refined a bit but overall I like it. The black, orange and red colour scheme will forever be my favourite. But that doesn't mean I don't like any of the other colour schemes/jersey. Just seems like you either love something or you hate it. People can't just like something and like another thing less. Lol.

I guess it's fair though, people are free to love and hate whatever. Just interesting that there is so much divide among fans about jerseys and logos and such. Probably has to do with the team's success, or lack thereof, during those times. If I recall the V era was pretty, pretty dark. Same with the Orca time, despite having the West Coast express there were some dark days. Skate era had that 94 team that has a ton of nostalgia behind them so it's easy to tell why that is pretty unanimously agreed upon as the best logo/jersey. 

52 minutes ago, Screw said:

Orca sucks and the word VANCOUVER bowed across the front of the jersey is even worse.   If we must live with the whale lets please drop the redundant Vancouver lettering. 

I always thought the " Vancouver " or " Canucks " on the jersey was cool. :unsure:

14 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I don't care how it was made, I am just glad it was. Best logo in the history of the Canucks. Before this all we had was an orange plate of spaghetti and a stick in a box ("rink"). At least now we have a good logo.

I kinda hope the Flying V makes a return 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Canucks can't win. 

- I like stick in rink!

- I like downhill skate!

- I like orca!

- I hate the orca!

- I hate downhill skate!

- I hate stick in rink!

The Canucks' next jersey should just have a digital screen where the crest should be so fans can select the one that they like from a menu of Canucks logos.

7 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

A Canuck is a Canadian, not a cartoon character.

The Orca forms a C which stands for Canucks. Thus the team nickname is represented in the shape of Orca logo. A stick in rink isn't a Canuck either, but forms a C for Canucks. The only difference is one represents the sport played and the other represents where the team plays. It's a complete contradiction, or perhaps even hypocritical, to say one image that doesn't mean Canucks forming a C is ok but another image that doesn't mean Canucks and forms a C isn't. Either both represent Canucks in forming a C or neither does. Making it truly a lame duck point of argument.

Archived