The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Top 20 Canucks Prospects Ranked in Pronman's Tiers

Derp...

Put Together Your Own Ranking of Our Prospects
Based on the NHL Farm System Rankings By Corey Pronman

Here are the Tiers:

Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league
Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.
High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.

Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.

This is my list. What's yours?

all these threads assume close to 100% success rate

at worst every player appears to be a depth player and have some value

why not add a category of "busts"

cuz there will be many

and if you are asking people to project outcomes

let's be a bit more realistic and include the negative possibilities as well

using only value outcomes

sets everyone up for disappointment

cuz there the downside is not factored in

if people project a player to be a bust and that player makes it

that would be a very positive and happy outcome

but i think no one wants to project anyone to be a bust

and all keep wearing rose coloured homer glasses about prospects

and then freak out when a corrodo gets lost through waivers

or shinkaruk gets traded (for a better player as it turns out)

and both likely will end up being busts

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

cuz there will be many

cuz there is only downside

It's a fair point. I'll pass this on to Corey Pronman. He is setting expectations to high for emotional fans like me!

54 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Here are the Tiers:

Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league
High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.

Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.

Pretty good list. I would move Gadjovich up one tier after seeing him skate at the prospects summer camp.  That’s it. 

I like your list, although I think I'd place DiPietro in the Legit section and place Manukyan and Madden in the Depth section (although they're obviously highly volatile due to young age and recent pick status). I'd also move Brisebois into the Have a Chance section, but he's definitely treading closely to Depth.

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Here are the Tiers:

Special > Pettersson

Elite > Hughes

High End > Demko

V Good > Juolevi

Legit > Dahlen, Gaudette. DiPietro, Woo, Brisboois

Have a chance > Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu, Jasek, Rathbone, Lockwood, Utenen, Manukyan  

Edit, forgot depth.  Call them prospects, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte

Out of Mix > Chatfield, McEneny, Mac Ewan

* Several guys have upside ahead of where I have them listed. Notably Rathbone & Dahlen.  Manuyyan & Utenen might also qualify? But I'm not convinced odd's are high they will achieve consistent high end performance. Brisbois on the other hand, I believe projects as a 2knd pairing D. I don't think he will be prolific in any way. But 2knd pair is 2knd pair & solid! I believe the chances are strong he will get there. So I rated him legit.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

cuz there will be many

cuz there the downside is not factored in

I think he left it up to the reader to infer the bust players. If OJ, EP40 and Hughes were listed in the depth category then I think that would be his way of saying they will be busts. 

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Here are the Tiers:

Nice List, I agree with what you have here.  If we have 7 legit or better NHL players in the system, we are in great shape.  Hopefully we see 2 or 3 of the bottom 2 tier players rise.  I think the best candidates for that would be Woo, Lockwood, Jasek or Brisebois.

18 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Nice List, I agree with what you have here.  If we have 7 legit or better NHL players in the system, we are in great shape.  Hopefully we see 2 or 3 of the bottom 2 tier players rise.  I think the best candidates for that would be Woo, Lockwood, Jasek or Brisebois.

Thanks, ya I think Palmu will eventually carve out a top 9 role. He's got a lot of things going for him. I also believe Rathbone has top 4 upside. Both will need to develop well this year to continue that trend in my mind. Palmu over 0.7 P/GP in the AHL and Rathbone up near 0.7 P/GP as a Rookie NCAA D man.

14 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

People are really sleeping on Jasek.. This kids got the tools and work ethic to be a middle 6 forward in the NHL

Agree, he can a solid third line guy with some offense. He's learned the pro game well already, and just needs to start producing some offense with regularity. 

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

People are really sleeping on Jasek.. This kids got the tools and work ethic to be a middle 6 forward in the NHL

Jasek was listed at #14 on Pronman's list. It just goes to show you what amazing depth we have now. I remember years ago Jasek would've probably been rated in the top 3 of our prospect pool.

29 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Jasek was listed at #14 on Pronman's list. It just goes to show you what amazing depth we have now. I remember years ago Jasek would've probably been rated in the top 3 of our prospect pool.

Pronman hasn't put out his top 10 for the canucks yet.  the top 20 list is being done by J.D. Burke and Ryan Biech.

Archived