The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Top 20 Canucks Prospects Ranked in Pronman's Tiers

Derp...

12 hours ago, Derp... said:

Put Together Your Own Ranking of Our Prospects
Based on the NHL Farm System Rankings By Corey Pronman

Here are the Tiers:

Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league
Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.
High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.

Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.

This is my list. What's yours?

You forgot Sautner on list who should turn out to be a #6-7 D man soon..

I think the guy everyone is underrating here is Dipietro. I think he has a very realistic chance to be a starting goalie in the NHL which would put him at least in the "very good" category. 

My thoughts....

Special Talents:

I just don't think any of them will be Crosby/Mcdavid level although Pettersson could be very close...

Elite:

Pettersson

Hughes

High End:

Demko

Juolevi

Very good:

Dipietro

Dahlen

Lind

Woo

Legit:

Gaudette

Gadjovich

Have a Chance:

Jasek

Rathbone

Brisebois

Palmu

McEneny

Lockwood

Utunen

Depth:

Madden

Manukyan

Chatfield

Sautner

i don't think it's a matter of wearing rose coloured glasses but rather offering each prospect a chance to make it or not.  i'ld hate for people to call me a bust before i entered a competition. if a prospect fails to make his mark in the nhl, i can still appreciate the effort on his part, it took to get that far. i don't think i've ever had that kind of talent, desire or made those sacrifices in anything i've done.  maybe others have. if that is true then, i guess i've been a bust in life. 

Maybe it's the homer in me but I see Woo, Gadjovich and DiPietro as Legit. 

The description on Special is pretty vague, vague enough that I could even consider throwing Hughes in there. When you say "projects to be one of the very best at that position" what does that mean? Centers are the premier position of the league. Is Barzal considered special? Cause if so I could see Pettersson being considered special. In my mind special is like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid and Kopitar. The real cream of the crop players. Not like Bergeron, Couturier etc. The elite guys but not quite in the upper echelon. 

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Maybe it's the homer in me but I see Woo, Gadjovich and DiPietro as Legit. 

The description on Special is pretty vague, vague enough that I could even consider throwing Hughes in there. When you say "projects to be one of the very best at that position" what does that mean? Centers are the premier position of the league. Is Barzal considered special? Cause if so I could see Pettersson being considered special. In my mind special is like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid and Kopitar. The real cream of the crop players. Not like Bergeron, Couturier etc. The elite guys but not quite in the upper echelon. 

I think his definition of special is around top 5 at their position. So Pettersson would have to be a top 5 Centre. Hughes would have to be a top 5 Dman. Both Hughes and Pettersson definitely have the skill to be special, however both of them still have question marks which prevented them from being a guarantee which is why I think they are Elite.

4 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

I think his definition of special is around top 5 at their position. So Pettersson would have to be a top 5 Centre. Hughes would have to be a top 5 Dman. Both Hughes and Pettersson definitely have the skill to be special, however both of them still have question marks which prevented them from being a guarantee which is why I think they are Elite.

If that's the criteria that's pretty heavy praise. Malkin and Crosby are bound to drop off. Kopitar is getting older too. Hmm. I could see him being special once those three are gone and with how young he is once he hits his prime they'll be less than they are now. So the only long term Special player I see is McDavid. Eichel and Matthews aren't quite there yet but have the potential. Pettersson as special isn't over reaching, Hughes might be. Defenseman are so hard to get a read on.

14 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Elite

Pettersson

Hughes

High-End

Demko

Juolevi

Very Good

Dahlen

Woo

Legit

Gaudette

Lind

Have a Chance

Palmu

Brisebois

Gadj

DiPietro

Rathbone

Lockwood

Madden

Depth

Utunen MacEwen Chatfield McEneny Jasek Manukyan

edit;   I misread the top category...i actually don't agree....everybody should move up one category....EP and Quinn are going to be SO Special we won't believe our eyes....!

i like your list...my only difference would be to put everyone that is in your 'depth' section into the 'have a chance' section...with Ant man being the only one i don't think has much of a chance.

That is 8 prospects at legit or better and at least another 2 prospects who will beat the odds....\

like i have been saying...that is 10 NHL regulars within 2 and a bit years....AND I believe that is pretty much unheard of...to have 10 prospects from any given year eventually make the nhl....

Prepare for takeoff....

Brisebois is gonna surprise some people I think in the next couple of years, since he's been drafted he has quietly become one of our top prospects imo. I think he has top 4 upside if he continues with his progression. 

My list:

Special:
Pettersson

Elite
Hughes

Demko

High-End
Juolevi

Very Good
Dahlen
Lind

Legit
Gaudette
Woo
Gadj
DiPietro

Have a Chance
Palmu
Jasek
Rathbone
Lockwood
Brisebois
Utunen

Depth
MacEwen
Chatfield
McEneny

Manukyan

Madden

I think Juolevi will be a solid #2 Dman still. The 2011 Hamhuis of our D Core.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Matt Brassard getting no love in this thread.

Is he in the Canucks plans ? They have a year to sign him, but so far, no hint of which way they are leaning. ( overage year in OHL ? )

PS.....no love for Sautner either !

He still hasn't listed Vancouver, Detroit, Montreal, Carolina, Buffalo, the Islanders and St Louis. Vegas was 8.

Not trying to predict anything - and I don't think that's the point of the thread -, but he rates goalies really low. Carter Hart was listed as a Legit NHL Prospect. I would think Demko would fall in the same category. Also, he has only listed one Elite prospect from the other 24 teams ranked: Henrik Borgstrom, from Florida. 

Nonetheless, in my list I would have Pettersson as a Special prospect. Hughes is Elite. I agree Demko should be considered High End, then Juolevi, Lind and Dahlen would be Very Good.

I think Pronman will have Pettersson and Hughes as Elite, no High End prospects, Dahlen and Juolevi as Very Good, and a bunch as Legit.

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Is he in the Canucks plans ? They have a year to sign him, but so far, no hint of which way they are leaning. ( overage year in OHL ? )

I think Brassard is very much still in their plans. I just think they didn't sign him this year because he got injured in his last game with the Gens. Otherwise, I suspect he'd have been with Utica on an ATO after his junior season finished and very likely inked to a 2018-19 effective ELC. But with his shoulder injury, and reportedly a recovery timeline that takes him somewhere into December before he'll play again, it makes sense to send him back for an overager season with Oshawa and then decide on a contract next year (sometime before his draft rights deadline).

I was just surprised not to see his name on any of the top-20 lists in this thread. I think The Athletic's rankings by Burke and Biech have Brassard at #16.

Not sure whether or not I'd put Sautner in the top-20. It's a pretty tight group to crack, given how deep our current pool is. He definitely deserves some consideration though.

21 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that OJ (if he is in Utica) and Sautner will be the first D call-ups this year.  I was really impressed with Sautner last year when he played with the Canucks.

Special

Demko

Elite

Pettersson

Hughes

**Boeser

High-End

Dahlen

Juolevi

**Horvat

Very Good

Gaudette

Lind

Woo

Legit

DiPietro

Gadjovich

Seem Legit

**Stecher

**Goldobin

Have a Chance

Palmu

Brisebois

Brassard

Rathbone

Lockwood

Madden

Sautner

Good Depth

Utunen MacEwen Chatfield McEneny Jasek Manukyan

**NHL experience

Special....................

Elite.........................Pettersson, Hughes

High End.................Juolevi, Demko

Very Good................Dahlen, Gaudette, Rathbone, Lockwood, Jasek

Legit..........................Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, Di Pietro,

Seem Legit................Palmu, Brisbois, Sautner, Chatfield

Have a Chance..........Brassard, Madden, Utunen, McEneny, MacEwen

Depth.........................Manyukan,

On 2018-08-21 at 3:13 PM, coastal.view said:

all these threads assume close to 100% success rate

at worst every player appears to be a depth player and have some value

why not add a category of "busts"

cuz there will be many

and if you are asking people to project outcomes

let's be a bit more realistic and include the negative possibilities as well

using only value outcomes

sets everyone up for disappointment

cuz there the downside is not factored in

if people project a player to be a bust and that player makes it

that would be a very positive and happy outcome

but i think no one wants to project anyone to be a bust

and all keep wearing rose coloured homer glasses about prospects

and then freak out when a corrodo gets lost through waivers

or shinkaruk gets traded (for a better player as it turns out)

and both likely will end up being busts

Playing the devils advocate to save us from disappointment (and to shed a little reality) is ok.

But at this point my lists of guys that are for sure going to make it (although possibly somewhere else if traded) are:

Petterrsson, OJ, Hughes, Gaudette (hobey baker winners have good odds) Dahlen, Palmu (rookie of the year and I can't help thinking wow this guys really, really good and fun to watch) JG, Demko.

Possibly going to make it or could bust:

Lind, Brisbois, Lockwood, Diepeitro.  Woo.

Now if im wrong I promise to keep my chin up and avoid the desire to write things on this forum that suggest he was never given a chance etc., or Benning blocked him with his signings etc.   At least now we don't have to whine about Schroeder, Corrado and Shinkaruk.  Or Forsling but why did we give up on him, he's doing just fine UGH!!

Archived