The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2018-2019] Canucks Prospects Stat Tracker

Hard to get excited about prospects when the Canucks' best one just received a concussion, but I've updated the thread through Sunday night's games.

Brisebois off to a really good start with the Comets... might be earning the first d-man call-up of the season. Zach MacEwan is another guy that I'm sure we'll see shortly. 

DiPietro has been hot and cold. Allowed just 2 goals in the two games he won, but has struggled in the games that he has lost. 

Based on Gaudette's call-up, I've added him to the "With the Club" spreadsheet. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/22/2018 at 4:45 PM, JamesB said:

Thanks a lot for doing this @Down by the River. Great job as always. I will be interested to see the list you put up for this year. And of course at this stage we are not sure where some of the guys will be playing.

Just to echo a request that others have made in the past, if it was possible to squeeze in plus/minus that would be a nice addition. 

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Hard to get excited about prospects when the Canucks' best one just received a concussion, but I've updated the thread through Sunday night's games.

Brisebois off to a really good start with the Comets... might be earning the first d-man call-up of the season. Zach MacEwan is another guy that I'm sure we'll see shortly. 

DiPietro has been hot and cold. Allowed just 2 goals in the two games he won, but has struggled in the games that he has lost. 

Based on Gaudette's call-up, I've added him to the "With the Club" spreadsheet. 

Thanks a lot for adding plus minus. And thanks again for doing these updates.

Good decision to put Gaudette with the club. I expect he will be there for a while in light of Beagle's injury. Right now he is taking EP40's spot, but let's EP is not gone too long.

Before Beagle was signed almost everyone assumed Gaudette would make the 23 man roster this year. But being in Utica for a few games probably helped him and now I don't expect him to look back.

Losing him creates a big hole in Utica, though. I hope they can still contend for the Calder.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thanks a lot for adding plus minus. And thanks again for doing these updates.

Good decision to put Gaudette with the club. I expect he will be there for a while in light of Beagle's injury. Right now he is taking EP40's spot, but let's EP is not gone too long.

Before Beagle was signed almost everyone assumed Gaudette would make the 23 man roster this year. But being in Utica for a few games probably helped him and now I don't expect him to look back.

Losing him creates a big hole in Utica, though. I hope they can still contend for the Calder.

At least since I started following the Canucks' farm team, this is the first time I can recall in which the team had too much depth. There are a lot of fwds sitting out because they are too good for the ECHL but not too good to really need to be in the lineup (e.g., Gadjovich). Gaudette coming up will help reduce the logjam down in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

OP updated.

I'm not sure how Brisebois is at a positive +/- when seemingly every other player on Utica is a minus.

I've added draft eligble players to watch. I did not include Hughes/Turcotte because there is not a lot to keep track of right now for US hockey players not playing college. For they guys that are on the list, I am definitely willing to change things as we move through the season and other prospects begin to make a name for themselves. 

On October 23, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Down by the River said:

OP updated.

I'm not sure how Brisebois is at a positive +/- when seemingly every other player on Utica is a minus.

I've added draft eligble players to watch. I did not include Hughes/Turcotte because there is not a lot to keep track of right now for US hockey players not playing college. For they guys that are on the list, I am definitely willing to change things as we move through the season and other prospects begin to make a name for themselves. 

We should get another elite player in the 2019 draft this year..

1. Hughes-c, 2. Kakko -w 3. Cozen-c, 4.Dach - c, 5.Byran- D Vancouver Giants, Other top picks.

Podkoizin - W,  Turcotte, Suzuki-c, Newhook c, Foote w,...

Vancouver should be drafting in the top 8..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

We should get another elite player in the 2019 draft this year..

1. Hughes-c, 2. Kakko -w 3. Cozen-c, 4.Dach - c, 5.Byran- D Vancouver Giants, Other top picks.

Podkoizin - W,  Turcotte, Suzuki-c, Newhook c, Foote w,...

Vancouver should be drafting in the top 8..

I don't have any concrete numbers, but I've seen it said multiple times that this year's top 5 would bump down most of last year's. Dahlin would still go #1 and Svechnikov would probably go #3, but then after that there would be a stretch where the 2019 players are taken until Zadina is taken around 6-7.

And again, the fact that there are so many centers this year likely plays a big part in that. Position matters and teams love to draft centers at the top end of the draft. 

EDIT: Just realized this isn't the 2019 draft thread. My bad. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

OP updated.

Petey challenging for the Cy Young Award (7-3).

DiPietro improving his numbers since being named to Team OHL in the Russia Superseries. 

Utica. Woof. A lot of guys in the minus. A lot of lineup turnover as well it seems. Might be hard for develping chemistry.

Tryamkin, at least by the numbers, is struggling in the K. Get on it Goldobin. 

• Upvote 1

Had some time to do a quick "where are they now" edition of the tracker. Picked some random prospects/former prospects that were at one time the property of the Canucks.

Joe Labate:

Now with the Senators AHL affiliate. Two points in 10 games and a handful of PIMs.

Rodrigo Abols:

The heir-apparent to Ronalds Kenins. His parents' failure to give him an 'S' at the end of Rodrigo has limited his production. He is now in Sweden's top league and is just under a p/pg. 

Carl Neil:

At one point was one of the Canucks' most promising offensive defencemen (shudder). He is now in Montreal playing for Concordia University. He is third on the team in scoring.

Dimitry Zhukenov:

One goal in the KHL (15 games). If people thought Pettersson was slight....

Gustav Forsling:

The trade that brought in Adam Clendening looked like it was going to be really bad, especially after Forsling's WJHC performance. Fortunately for Benning, Forsling is often a healthy scratch in Chicago (has not played a game this year) and has no points in three games down in the AHL. Clendening, shockingly to me, is still in the NHL (CBJ)

Hunter Shinkaruk:

Benning's best trade. Shinkaruk, after being traded to the Flames, is now in MTL's system with the Laval Rocket (great name). He has two points in ten games. 

Jordan Subban:

No doubt powered by Gagner, Subban is improving his offensive contributions from last year. He has six points in nine games for the Marlies. He had just five points in 36 games with Utica last year. 

Nick Jensen:

Now in the KHL with Helsinki, Jensen seems to have carved out a decent career. He is tied for the team lead in scoring. 

Jordan Schroeder:

Will there be any Canuck draftee that is (a) not with the team but (b) still playing in the NHL? Jordan Schroeder is doing nothing to change this answer; He is currently playing in Rockford of the KHL. 

Jared McCann:

The combo breaker. McCann is with FLA and has a goal and two assists in nine games. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

On 2018-11-01 at 2:15 PM, Down by the River said:

Had some time to do a quick "where are they now" edition of the tracker. Picked some random prospects/former prospects that were at one time the property of the Canucks.

Joe Labate:

Now with the Senators AHL affiliate. Two points in 10 games and a handful of PIMs.

Rodrigo Abols:

The heir-apparent to Ronalds Kenins. His parents' failure to give him an 'S' at the end of Rodrigo has limited his production. He is now in Sweden's top league and is just under a p/pg. 

Carl Neil:

At one point was one of the Canucks' most promising offensive defencemen (shudder). He is now in Montreal playing for Concordia University. He is third on the team in scoring.

Dimitry Zhukenov:

One goal in the KHL (15 games). If people thought Pettersson was slight....

Gustav Forsling:

The trade that brought in Adam Clendening looked like it was going to be really bad, especially after Forsling's WJHC performance. Fortunately for Benning, Forsling is often a healthy scratch in Chicago (has not played a game this year) and has no points in three games down in the AHL. Clendening, shockingly to me, is still in the NHL (CBJ)

Hunter Shinkaruk:

Benning's best trade. Shinkaruk, after being traded to the Flames, is now in MTL's system with the Laval Rocket (great name). He has two points in ten games. 

Jordan Subban:

No doubt powered by Gagner, Subban is improving his offensive contributions from last year. He has six points in nine games for the Marlies. He had just five points in 36 games with Utica last year. 

Nick Jensen:

Now in the KHL with Helsinki, Jensen seems to have carved out a decent career. He is tied for the team lead in scoring. 

Jordan Schroeder:

Will there be any Canuck draftee that is (a) not with the team but (b) still playing in the NHL? Jordan Schroeder is doing nothing to change this answer; He is currently playing in Rockford of the KHL. 

Jared McCann:

The combo breaker. McCann is with FLA and has a goal and two assists in nine games. 

Thank you for doing this work I like to know how the former Canuck property is doing time to time. One thing that I know was just a typo is that Jo-Schroed is indeed playing for Rockford (Chicago’s farm team) but it is in the A and not the K. But everything in this post is awesome and thank you Matt Foley and keep up the great work!

3D58284E-63F1-4113-BC83-04DA419D396F.gif

On 01/11/2018 at 2:15 PM, Down by the River said:

Hunter Shinkaruk:

What a slow developer Shink has turned out to be. All that offensive skill and skating ability in the highly competitive WHL with Medicine Hat and he can't even produce at the AHL level. I thought he was a steal at 24th overall. Had a great start in Utica before he was traded to Calgary. 

When the trade of Shinkaruk to Calgary for Granlund was made I was very skeptical about whether it was a good one or not. In hindsight it obviously was. I'm no longer convinced that Hunter Shinkaruk will ever be more than an AHL player whereas Markus Granlund is; and will likely continue to prove his worth in the NHL.

OP updated.

DiPietro has really turned things around since a tough start to the season. He also played very well in the Can-Rus series, which hopefully will help put him in as the starter here in Vancouver for the WJHC.

Lots of the WHL guys had quiet weeks to the WHL leg of the Can-Rus series.

Dahlen is starting to look strong in Utica. Juolevi keeps putting up points. He hasn't improved his +/-, but the fact that it hasn't continued to decrease in the last 2-3 weeks suggests he is at least staying above water.

Gadjovich with his first goal as a professional. 

OP updated. Didn't have time to do the draft-eligible guys.

DiPietro continuing to give reason to make him the starter at the WJHC.

Palmu with his first point in the AHL.

The AHL prospects on my list are a combined -73. I know we've done away with emphasizing plus/minus.... but that is less than good.

Goldobin has been on fire lately.

Demko with a win in his first game after suffering a concussion.

Gaunce back to the AHL, Reid Boucher gets the call-up. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m probly speaking for a lot of people by saying I love this thread and the updates.

its great to see our prospects stats in one place rather than looking at each player individually.  Despite not a lot of replies on the thread we all appreciate it.

can we get an update? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

OP updated through last night's games. 

EP is putting up a p/pg pace that rivals his performance in Sweden last year. Boeser is racking up the points yet still not playing his best, IMO. I think he has another level to his game that will come with an offseason where he can spend more time working on his conditioning. 

The number of injured Utica dmen is really astounding. I think Demko is NHL-ready, but getting him out of Utica was extra important given that he is playing behind a lot of guys that are probably better suited for the ECHL. 

Jet Woo continues to show Tim Hunter what's up. 

Kappo Kakko was thought by some to be a potential rival to Jack Hughes for the #1 overall pick. I haven't seen much of Hughes, but I wasn't that impressed by Kakko. Of course, the WJHC isn't the best indicator of future performance (Jordan Schroeder says hi). 

I still don't think the Canucks make the playoffs, but as long as EP stays healthy, I can't see this team falling into the bottom 7-8 in the league. I might change up (or at least add) a few more prospects that will be more in the range of where the Canucks pick (probably around 11-12, IMO). 

• 2 weeks later...

Where Are They Now (2019 Edition)

Cole Cassels

The former OHL and Mem Cup champion was released by the Canucks last summer. He has 17 points in 38 games for Wolfsburg? of Germany's top league. He sits fourth in team scoring, just behind former Vancouver Giant hero Spencer Machacek. Cassels was on a stacked Oshawa Generals team, but the only guy to really make an impact at the NHL level is Anthony Cirelli, who had the GWG for Oshawa in the Mem Cup despite not being one of the leaders on that team (he was in his rookie season).

Kyle Petit

The man behind Conor McDavid (and apparently the son of Cory Schneider) is now playing for the University of Western Ontario and has 8 points in 18 games. 

Jordan Schroeder

AHL. Meh.

Guillaume Desbiens

The former Manitoba Moose and long-time Vancouver Canuck (13 games) after lighting it up in the EIHL for the Sheffield Steelers. 

Adam Polasek

Known for a one-punch KO, he is now an offensive dman in the KHL (What?). He has 23 points in 45 games for Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik, which sounds like something Don Taylor would utter after a big save doing the highlights for Sportsnet. He is fourth on the team in scoring, which begs the question, who needs Tryamkin?

Billy Sweat

Forgotten because of the heroics of Lee Sweat, B. Sweatt is now with Jonkoping  of the SweHL. He has been in the SweHL for five years and seems to have established a pro career over there. 

Anton Rodin

The former SweHL MVP came over to North America, had a horrible time, and has failed to regain his form. Now in Davos, he has just four points in 18 games. 

Ludwing Blomstrand

I remember when Canucks fans were excited about him. I can't imagine how bare the prospect cupboards must have been to be excited about a guy that had 2 points in 15 games in the AHL. He is now in Sweden's second tier professional league. 

Frankie Corrado

This "asset" has 4 points in 26 games. 

Alexander Grenier

The ideal winger to play alongside the Sedins, Grenier is now with the Laval Rocket and has 11 points in 30+ games. 

Kellan Lain

Lain had his first NHL fight before his first touch of the puck. We then got to watch Torts storm the Flames' locker room. He retired from the AHL two years ago.

Anton Cederholm

Famous for breaking a medicine ball against a wall during a prospects camp (I think), he is now not playing hockey. 

Curtis Valk

Gary's kid! Poached by the Panthers last year, he played one game for them before leaving for the KHL this season. He is putting up a respectable 0.5 p/pg.

Hunter Shinkaruk

Ten points in 30ish games in the AHL. playing with Grenier in Laval.

Dane Fox

Who needs to skate? 100+ points for Erie has blossomed into a career in Nuremburg of the top German league. Playing with NHL greats Will Acton (former Comet) and Tom Gilbert. 

Zach Hamil

Invited to training camp in the 2013-14 season, the Vancouver product and former top 10 draft pick has, since 2013-2014, played for the following teams:

Utica Comets (AHL-13/14)

Astana Barys (KHL-13/14)

HPK Hameenlinna (Liiga-14/15)

Fribourg-Gotteron HC (Swiss-15/16)

Ambri-Piotta (Swiss-15/16)

Iserlohn Roosters (Germany-15/16)

Bjorkloven IF (Tier Two Sweden-16/17)

Dukla Jihlava (Czech-17/18)

Bad Nauheim EC (Tier Two Germany- 18/19)

That's nine different teams and eight different leagues in about 5-6 years. Nobody said that the search for the best European cocaine would be easy. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2