The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Defining Trade

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Talon turned down a deal involving Patches from MTL for the Borg. Doubt Sutter and an unproven goalie get Borgstrom + 2017 10th over all pick Tippett

You could be right, but why would we trade Demko anyway?  

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Proposal  is Trade to Florida Sutter, and Demko for Borgstrom and Tippett . Why? why not!

Yup, that would be a defining trade for sure.   Trading a reasonably priced veteran C who can play in all situations and one of the best goalie prospects in hockey for two forward prospects who would arguably only be decent depth prospects (Lind comparable) in compare to existing Canuck elite forward prospects/young NHL forward talent would indeed be defining.   It would define the Canucks as idiots.   

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, that would be a defining trade for sure.   Trading a reasonably priced veteran C who can play in all situations and one of the best goalie prospects in hockey for two forward prospects who would arguably only be decent depth prospects (Lind comparable) in compare to existing Canuck elite forward prospects/young NHL forward talent would indeed be defining.   It would define the Canucks as idiots.   

For the record Markstrom was also considered one of if not the best  NHL goalie prospect in hockey for some time in Florida. Demko is far from a sure thing to be a starter let alone an Elite one. Here's to hoping. But let's not laud too many expectations on the kid.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

For the record Markstrom was also considered one of if not the best  NHL goalie prospect in hockey for some time in Florida. Demko is far from a sure thing to be a starter let alone an Elite one. Here's to hoping. But let's not laud too many expectations on the kid.

He has a better chance at being a superstar than either Borgstrom or Tippett...that's for sure.   None of the three are NHL for sures - no question.   However, Vancouver does NOT need more forward prospects so trading away such a blue chip netminder prospect that doesn't address their real need (D prospects) seems nonsensical.   

44 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Typical CDC...we got one of the best goalies on the planet not currently in the NHL and someone wants to get rid of him before we even see what he's truly capable of.  

No, typical CDC would at least wait until DiPietro becomes Demko’s backup first.

Also, Jonas Gustavsson was once considered the best goalie not in the NHL. But I agree. Two forwards doesn’t really help our cause.

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Proposal  is Trade to Florida Sutter, and Demko for Borgstrom and Tippett . Why? why not!

I would not make that trade. Demko should be a top 12 goalie in the NHL for the next 10 years.

Not easy to find as great prospect like Demko who should be NHL ready anytime now.

I realize you must give up something good to get assets like Borgstrom -C - 21 6'3 and Tippett RW 6'1-19

I would trade Dipietro 19 G, Sutter 29, Goldobin 23 LW

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I would not make that trade. Demko should be a top 12 goalie in the NHL for the next 10 years.

Not easy to find as great prospect like Demko who should be NHL ready anytime now.

I realize you must give up something good to get assets like Borgstrom -C - 21 6'3 and Tippett RW 6'1-19

They laugh in your face. Borgstrom is untouchable for them. It’s been stated numerous times that Florida TURNED DOWN PATCHES AND MCDONAUGH for Borgstrom, so why would they accept a deal involving 30 point shut down man Sutter, NHL no show Goldy? Let alone adding Tippett on top of Borgstrom.

Sutter is only so highly rated lately cause fans want to trade him for top prospects.  4 months ago he was a joke around here. Goldy is on his last legs. Worth little more than what Pouliot fetched probably.

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Typical CDC. Pettersson will win the Hart and the Calder next year I'm sure of it. Hughes is better than Erik Karlsson. And of course, Hunter Shinkaruk is the next Patty Kane.

Chill the expectations lets see how these kids actually do. It's fun to be excited but irrational too. 

If we are trading Demko, I think it should be under several conditions, 1) we only do so if DiPietro shows he's the real deal and 2) we get an all-round stud D-man prospect back.  Borgstrom is pretty hyped and many fine prospects have not panned out (not saying he won't but at this point like many blue-chippers he won't come cheap, and we'd be paying a premium for an asset that might not be for sure).  We have several young/ youngish guys up the middle in Elias, obviously Bo and Adam, don't really think we need to get another for someone who may well be our future in net.  If we can fix the back end by moving Thatcher I'd argue that's a different story.  

Also agreed about both the Patches for Borgstrom comment and Lind - Tippett comparable. 

Shrink the deal. Remove Demko and Tippet. With Boeser locked in as out top line RW, Pettersson playing most of his record breaking SHL season on RW, and Virtanen, Lind and Jasek all playing RW and likely duking it out for middle six minutes within the next couple of seasons, it makes targeting another RW prospect pretty redundant, especially when you're talking about moving one of the best goalie prospects in the league for him.

We'd  still have to add something, but Borgstrom would make a really nice pick up though. Can't have enough centers.

Archived