The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Nylander

With no contract signed, word that the parties are far apart, and Toronto needing to save cap space to sign Matthews and other players.... Nylander could end up being moved out.

Do we have the pieces and willingness to make a deal.  Nylander is still young and fits with a new core.  A top line of:

Nylander-Horvat-Boeser

would look really nice for a lot of years.

It would obviously start with Tanev, but what other piece or pieces would have to go the other way?

Does Tanev, DiPietro, and a late pick get it done?

It would certainly get fan interest revved up if a Karlsson deal (dreaming) and then this move happened.

Nylander (Double Flamingo) is not a player that a team wins playoff rounds with.  He’s much like Ehlers that way.  When the going gets tough, those to disappear.  

The only Leaf I would truly want is Marner.  Matthews will be way overpaid.  

If they trade Nylander they will look for someone who is younger and has more years of control than Tanev. It will be a deal similar to Jones for Johansen or Hall for Larsson.

We don't have a young established defenseman to trade and if we had one we wouldn't be trading it for Nylander. There is no deal to be had here, both teams are looking for D.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nylander (Double Flamingo) is not a player that a team wins playoff rounds with.  He’s much like Ehlers that way.  When the going gets tough, those to disappear.  

Not a big enough sample size to make that claim I think.

8 points in 13 playoff games isn’t too shabby and is hardly a drop off from his regular season numbers (less scoring in the playoffs so everyone’s PPG numbers drop off somewhat).

I don’t think Marner will be on offer, and you are absolutely right that Matthews will get overpaid.  I am still not sold on him being a franchise level player to warrant a $12 million dollar max term contract.

Dubas says 'we can, and we will keep all 4'.  He made it clear that these 4 players are their core and none of them are going anywhere.  Tavares signed because of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  He talks about how the 3 of them are so young and will only get better.  It keeps their window opened for so long.  That's how they sold Toronto to Tavares.  The so-called Shanaplan is to build around Nylander, Matthews, Marner and there's no indication that it has changed.

The Province wrote earlier in the summer that the offers received for Tanev were ridiculous - late round picks or 4th line grinders.

Not only his injury history hurts his value but maybe also the way the game is evolving.  Trotz was explaining that you have to play 5-5-5 in all zones now to be successful.  The Ds have to be able to work with the Fs to generate offence otherwise it's too difficult to score.  Teams are defending with 5 players so offence has to also be generated with 5 players.

More and more teams pair PMDs together.  Also the kids for the draft now model their game after Karlsson.  Nashville is regarded as one of the best D-corps in the league.  They don't have defensive Ds.  Babcock was asked about them and their system getting production from the blue line.  He answered it's called being better and says it's not the system.  I am not sure Babcock is interested in adding a defensive D and it wouldn't be at the cost of Nylander.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I'm happy they plan on keeping Nylander. That means TOR will not be winning a Cup anytime soon.

Bingo!  Anyone who actually played hockey, especially tough hockey, knows the responsibility each player has to his teammates.  We have hear Jake Virtanen say he needs to prove to his teammates he can play hard ever shift.  Nylander is a Double Flamingo.  His teammates will have zero respect for him.  It’s a tough friggin’ game, especially at the NHL level.  Nylander reminds me of Inge Hammarstrom.  Very similar players.  The Leafs never won anything with him either.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kasperi Kapanen for me Alff. he seems to be the odd man out.

Took 600 faceoffs last year, won 51%, could even make a solid duo center with Pettersson (They swap off faceoff duties depending on the side of the ice since one is righty and the other is a lefty) and Virtanen can play LW or something. I'd happily pay Tanev, DiPietro and a 2nd for him. He had 12 PP points last season, so he could easily bump up his point totals to 70+ on a decent PP unit. His playoff numbers aren't bad, 8 points in 13 games. But we don't really know how he'd do in a 2-4 round run. For the price in the OP I'd do it though. 

6 hours ago, Toews said:

If they trade Nylander they will look for someone who is younger and has more years of control than Tanev. It will be a deal similar to Jones for Johansen or Hall for Larsson.

We don't have a young established defenseman to trade and if we had one we wouldn't be trading it for Nylander. There is no deal to be had here, both teams are looking for D.

Gudbranson.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

Doesn't bring that kind of value. Tanev is an established top pairing D. A younger Tanev is what they are probably want.

No one is giving them that return.  I couldn’t see Winnipeg trading Trouba for example, even if they needed more scoring (which they don’t)

A winger is just less valuable than an equivalent D.

Gudbranson is clearly worth less than Tanev for sure...

Tanev plus a blue chip goalie prospect is solid and helps now and in the future.  They can also have whatever of our bottom end roster pmYers to fill in holes.

I don’t think Toronto wants to trade him, but math comes into play and hard choices will have to be made.

23 minutes ago, Toews said:

Doesn't bring that kind of value. Tanev is an established top pairing D. A younger Tanev is what they are probably want.

I don't know if I'd say Tanev's a top pairing D. He certainly has some value, but there are a lot of teams where Tanev would be more like a top 4. We just kind of have a crappy defence core at the moment. ;) lol

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I thought so. I believe every time we've gotten to the conference final, we made it through to the cup final.

That's bodes well for when we get back to the Conference Finals at least. I knew we had a pretty miserable existence overall, but didn't think all our Conference Finals appearances were in the Cup runs. Dang. Lol.

Archived