The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser or Pettersson rookie totals

cuporbust

Who will have more rookie goals ?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys. First off , i dont think this topic necessarily makes any difference long term , just bored and curious if u think Pettersson will fall short , duplicate,  or even surpass Boeser s 29 goal (55 point) rookie year in 62 games  (Thats assuming Pettersson makes the team and is given equal opportunities,  but i think its safe to say thats a very good possibility.)

I went boeser for goals 

Pettersson for assists 

Pettersson for overall points 

Boeser for PPG average 

I dunno . Lol . 

Feel free to explain your votes 

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Keep in mind that Boeser's rookie season was his draft +3 season, while Pettersson's will be his draft + 2 season. Also important to factor in that Boeser was already well acclimated to North American ice, while Pettersson won't be when he makes the team.

One could counter argue that Pettersson allso had the advangatge of playing against professionals. North dakota in  not on par with The swedish eilite league 

NCAA is the ninth ranked league in the world

The swedish elite league is 3rd .......so

Add that he broke all rookie scoring records in that league id say Boeser s extra year in the NCAA doesnt mean anything 

Will not be the slightest disappointed if Pettersson have less points in his rookie season than Brock. 

New country, different ice rink size, draft+2 v draft+3 etc. 

Brock had an incredible rookie season and it will be hard to emulate. 

In saying that the potential is definitely there for Elias to break the door down... just like he did in Sweden. 

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

One could counter argue that Pettersson allso had the advangatge of playing against professionals. North dakota in  not on par with The swedish eilite league 

NCAA is the ninth ranked league in the world

The swedish elite league is 3rd .......so

I don't necessarily buy that the NCAA should be that low. Seems to me that guys who excel at that level tend to make the transition relatively well. Obviously there are exceptions, but if a player is a PPG at the NCAA level in their draft year, seems to me that player is usually a shoe-in to go in the first round.

Also, the difficulty of a league doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how a league compares with the NHL. I would argue that a player coming out of the AHL will have a much better idea of what to expect at the NHL than a player coming out of the SHL, despite the SHL obviously being a superior league.

And again, draft +3 vs draft +2.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys. First off , i dont think this topic necessarily makes any difference long term , just bored and curious if u think Pettersson will fall short , duplicate,  or even surpass Boeser s 29 goal (55 point) rookie year in 62 games.  Thats assuming Pettersson makes the team and is given equal opportunities,  but i think its safe to say thats a very good possibility.  

I went boeser for goals 

Pettersson for assists 

Pettersson for overall points 

Boeser for PPG average 

I dunno . Lol . 

Feel free to explain your votes 

Same as you. PPG was the hardest. Went with Boeser to but believe Pettersson can do better...

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't necessarily buy that the NCAA should be that low. Seems to me that guys who excel at that level tend to make the transition relatively well. Obviously there are exceptions, but if a player is a PPG at the NCAA level in their draft year, seems to me that player is usually a shoe-in to go in the first round.

Also, the difficulty of a league doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how a league compares with the NHL. I would argue that a player coming out of the AHL will have a much better idea of what to expect at the NHL than a player coming out of the SHL, despite the SHL obviously being a superior league.

I do not think ice surface alone makes up for the gap in talent level between the two in terms of NHL prep. I think the cream will always rise no matter what league they start out in , but i dont think the NCAA ice size with much lesser talent prepares a player better . Thats just me i guess . I dont think Boesers extra year prepared him more then Pettersson playing in one of the best pro leagues in the world and dominating.  He will be just as if not more prepared. Boeser had to adapt to a massive bump in speed and talent , and pettersson has to adapt to less space and time. 

Yeah smaller ice , slower and less skilled players and defenders . 

Anyways .....thats my opinion. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Scowered a little to see what was out there on this subject.  Thought it was interesting.....

Projecting Junior Hockey Players and Translating Performance to the NHL

How difficult is it to score a goal in the National Hockey League relative to another league? With half of NHL players coming from the minor leagues, a quarter from European Elite Leagues, 20% coming directly from Canadian Major Junior and 10% from the NCAA, that’s a question NHL teams try to answer every day. In evaluating these players, it is critical to know how a player’s performance translates to the NHL.

One way to evaluate the difficulty of one league relative to another is examine the relative performance of players who have played in both leagues. Players rarely play significant time in two leagues in the same year, but they often play in one league in one year and in another the next. As long as a player’s skill level is approximately constant over this two year period, the ratio of his performance in each league can be used to estimate the relative difficulty of the two leagues.

Historically, the only statistics available are goals, assists and games played. With so little data, the best quantity to compare is a player’s Point-Per-Game rate (PPG). The difficulty of a league relative to the NHL can be determined by dividing the PPG that a player had in that league in one year by the PPG he had in the NHL the next year, or vice-versa. The PPG should be adjusted for the assist per goal rate in each league since European leagues don’t award a second assist as often as the NHL does.

The SHL has a lot of career players who would most likely have a shot in the NHL had they chosen to leave Sweden. Competitiveness is pretty much similar, there are cities with strong hockey talent pools that may sometimes beat up on others. By and large all teams have a shot and can move themselves out of the basement of the league. Mostly through a strong defensive game and good goaltending, hence European players being good two way players. Large ice surface and the play style breeds these players

20180830_002023.jpg

I hate to be honest here , but the truth is it is getting easier and easier for Europeans to transition to the North American game , because that style of hockey is what the NHL is transitioning towards . 10 years ago, there would be a rude awakening for any swedish player not ready for the open ice hits and physical play of the NHL game . It is still different,  but not nearly as much as it used to be . U have less time to think , and higher overall talent , but i dont think Pettersson would be nearly as ready if he had spent two years playing for North Dakota as he is right now. 

Boeser (More Goals)

Pettersson (More Assists)

Pettersson (More Points)

Boeser (Better PPG)

I gave Boeser the edge in PPG because that pace is incredibly difficult to reach and maintain. Boeser could generate goals all by himself. It will depend on who Pettersson is paired with and if he's given top PP time. I believe he's a sure fire 45 point guy even if he spends time in Utica. If I were to guess today I'd say he finishes around the 65-75 point mark.

If Travis Green doesn't place Pettersson on the first unit PP in Henrik Sedin's spot I am going to cry. I understand wanting two decent powerplays but lets load up with those 2 and give Goldie, Virt, and Leipsic time on the other. I want to see Eriksson on the PP with Pettersson and Boeser imo. He'd be great down low. Maybe good in Danny's old spot. He can slide in and out of the front of the net as opportunities arise as someone else screens.

Virtanen and Horvat both looked good as screens last season. Olli will probably be on the 2nd UNIT PP before the season is out. Probably by the new year. :D

7 minutes ago, khay said:

My projection for Pettersson: 35 goals 70 assists for 105 points. :P

NHL MVP.

NHL scoring leader.

NHL rookie of the year.

I love the optimism. lol

I would be happy with 75 points :D Anything around 55 points or over I'll be over the moon.

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Boeser (More Goals)

Pettersson (More Assists)

Pettersson (More Points)

Boeser (Better PPG)

I gave Boeser the edge in PPG because that pace is incredibly difficult to reach and maintain. Boeser could generate goals all by himself. It will depend on who Pettersson is paired with and if he's given top PP time. I believe he's a sure fire 45 point guy even if he spends time in Utica. If I were to guess today I'd say he finishes around the 65-75 point mark.

If Travis Green doesn't place Pettersson on the first unit PP in Henrik Sedin's spot I am going to cry. I understand wanting two decent powerplays but lets load up with those 2 and give Goldie, Virt, and Leipsic time on the other. I want to see Eriksson on the PP with Pettersson and Boeser imo. He'd be great down low. Maybe good in Danny's old spot. He can slide in and out of the front of the net as opportunities arise as someone else screens.

Virtanen and Horvat both looked good as screens last season. Olli will probably be on the 2nd UNIT PP before the season is out. Probably by the new year. :D

I will be very surprised if they don't put him there. It's like 1+1. I will lose some faith in Green if he doesn't put EP on Henrik's spot.

I like Eriksson down low in Danny's role. He was a good player around the net prior to coming here, I think getting him on the PP down low may be the way to revive his scoring touch.

Horvat     Eriksson

Boeser          Pettersson

Edler (Juolevi?)

Archived