The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser or Pettersson rookie totals

cuporbust

Who will have more rookie goals ?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree that Leipsic has more of a chance to help us than 

Goldy.  I’m not a Baer or Granlund fan either.  I think those guys are simply place holders, until the younger guys are ready to push them out.  Hopefully, that happens quickly too.  I’d like to see Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovic, Palmu, Jasek, and the other young guys push into our team, and force out the older vets (Gagner, Baer, Loui) and the tweeners (Leipsic, Goldy, Motte, Baer) alike.  I accept it will take time, and (by the length of some contracts JB has for those guys) it’s likely to take another two to three years.

The great thing about Leipsic is he performs well when you don't notice him. He's good defensively. If he can get his offensive game going at a consistent rate, he would be fire. Those stints of brilliant plays from him a few times last season were amazing.

I'd really like the top two lines like this:

Baer - Bo - Brock

Goldy - EP - Jake

If Jake and Goldy make the progression I really think they're going to make next year this can be an absolutely dynamic second line.  With the first line taking the other team's shutdown line, this alleviates the pressure off these three.  Jake would be the zone entry machine, EP will be the playmaker and Goldy the sniper.  This line could possibly outscore the first line since they would have the easier role.

Goldy - 30 goals, 50 points over 82 games

Jake - 20 goals, 55 points over 82 games

Elias - 25 goals, 70 points over 82 games

Even those these are optimistic, I can see these actually be realistic with the signs Jake showed at the end of last year, what Goldobin and his agent stated after the year, and obviously what EP did in the SHL last year.

7 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I'd really like the top two lines like this:

Baer - Bo - Brock

Goldy - EP - Jake

If Jake and Goldy make the progression I really think they're going to make next year this can be an absolutely dynamic second line.  With the first line taking the other team's shutdown line, this alleviates the pressure off these three.  Jake would be the zone entry machine, EP will be the playmaker and Goldy the sniper.  This line could possibly outscore the first line since they would have the easier role.

Goldy - 30 goals, 50 points over 82 games

Jake - 20 goals, 55 points over 82 games

Elias - 25 goals, 70 points over 82 games

Even those these are optimistic, I can see these actually be realistic with the signs Jake showed at the end of last year, what Goldobin and his agent stated after the year, and obviously what EP did in the SHL last year.

I could see that line giving up more goals than they get. Jake seemed to be just starting to get it last season. Goldy's play without the puck is what may keep him off the roster. I haven't seen much of Pettersson's play but by all reports he plays a responsible game. Even still, he'll be a rookie and prone to mistakes. As a result I don't see that line happening. Pettersson will more likely have at least one veteran on his line.

If Pettersson's line-mates are Sutter and LE, and he plays a full season with no first line PP time I'd say 55 points would be a great first year....(and both Sutter and LE will have banner years as Canucks).

If he gets first line PP duties within the first month than he will easily surpass Bures rookie record.

An amazing time to be a Canucks Fan.

We have a Calder runner up last year, and could have won if not for injury

We have a Calder favorite this year in Pettersson

We have a Calder contender next year in Hughes

Add Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen, Gaudette and Demko means a sharp upward trend after this year... kinda like the direction of a hockey stick..:)

Who wouldn't be excited for this team imo.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

I could see that line giving up more goals than they get. Jake seemed to be just starting to get it last season. Goldy's play without the puck is what may keep him off the roster. I haven't seen much of Pettersson's play but by all reports he plays a responsible game. Even still, he'll be a rookie and prone to mistakes. As a result I don't see that line happening. Pettersson will more likely have at least one veteran on his line.

Yes Goldy may be a bit unresponsible, but the other four players on the ice should be.  Virtanen is one of the best forwards in the league at shot suppression, and if Tanev is one of the defensemen on the ice at the time, those are two of the best shot suppression players in the game.  The one question about Virtanen's game is offense and I think he'll have a breakout year next year to add to his stellar defensive game.

1 hour ago, groovy said:

No rush. Elias is still bulking up.

Jokes aside , dont look for elias to be much heavier coming into camp . Ryan Johnson was quoted saying they want him to put on 4-5 pounds a year max because anything more will effect his mobility.  They want him to put on lean muscle and gain strenth over time , not bulk up. 

7 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yes Goldy may be a bit unresponsible, but the other four players on the ice should be.  Virtanen is one of the best forwards in the league at shot suppression, and if Tanev is one of the defensemen on the ice at the time, those are two of the best shot suppression players in the game.  The one question about Virtanen's game is offense and I think he'll have a breakout year next year to add to his stellar defensive game.

Your user name is appropriate if you think Virtanens defensive game is stellar. I watched last seasons games. He did make some strides in the latter part of the season though. I'll be extremely suprised if Pettersson doesn't have a veteran on his line. I'll be somewhat surprised if Goldy makes the team.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Your user name is appropriate if you think Virtanens defensive game is stellar. I watched last seasons games. He did make some strides in the latter part of the season though. I'll be extremely suprised if Pettersson doesn't have a veteran on his line. I'll be somewhat surprised if Goldy makes the team.

Hero charts back me up.  Virtanen is rated a 9 out of 10 in shot suppression.  Although, this does not account for playing on the fourth line for large parts of the year, the only other two forwards I was able to find rated a 9 in that category were Patrice Bergeron and Alexander Barkov.

I think that the Canucks will give goldy a shot next year cause he has the offensive asset, but if he doesn't work out after a few months I agree he is off the team.

6 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Hero charts back me up.  Virtanen is rated a 9 out of 10 in shot suppression.  Although, this does not account for playing on the fourth line for large parts of the year, the only other two forwards I was able to find rated a 9 in that category were Patrice Bergeron and Alexander Barkov.

I think that the Canucks will give goldy a shot next year cause he has the offensive asset, but if he doesn't work out after a few months I agree he is off the team.

This is the problem with advanced stats. Individually they can often be misleading. Shot suppression doesn't mean much without taking into consideration quality of linemates and quality of competition. Coaching and systems plays a role as well. For example, NJ plays a heavily defensive game while TB plays a very aggressive offensive game. NJ has low shots per game against while TB has high shots per game against. Which is actually the better team? This is why individual stats, particularly stats with a number of influencing variables, don't hold much weight for me. Nothing really beats the eyeball test.

28 minutes ago, Baggins said:

This is the problem with advanced stats. Individually they can often be misleading. Shot suppression doesn't mean much without taking into consideration quality of linemates and quality of competition. Coaching and systems plays a role as well. For example, NJ plays a heavily defensive game while TB plays a very aggressive offensive game. NJ has low shots per game against while TB has high shots per game against. Which is actually the better team? This is why individual stats, particularly stats with a number of influencing variables, don't hold much weight for me. Nothing really beats the eyeball test.

Well even by that when I watched Jake the last month of the season, he seemed like he was usually the best player on the ice.  Especially that last two weeks he was dominant.

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

Well even by that when I watched Jake the last month of the season, he seemed like he was usually the best player on the ice.  Especially that last two weeks he was dominant.

I don't about best on the ice, but as I said, he made strides towards the end of the season. I'll play wait and see how it carries over to the coming season.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Seemed like 40 points was roughly the average here, as long as he stays healthy he should easily beat Brock, and if he keeps it up will probably break Bures record. @IBatch nice prediction!

Pettersson continues to be a shining light this year, can’t believe he can hit the puck that hard when he’s that wiry, guess physics isn’t his strong suit becuase he is an Alien.  Favourite goal so far is his Gretzky long bomb wind up, although his penalty shot one is just as impressive (against arguably the best goalie in the world right now too).  Calder is the toughest trophy to win as it’s so exclusive, he’s well on his way...

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Pettersson continues to be a shining light this year, can’t believe he can hit the puck that hard when he’s that wiry, guess physics isn’t his strong suit becuase he is an Alien.  Favourite goal so far is his Gretzky long bomb wind up, although his penalty shot one is just as impressive (against arguably the best goalie in the world right now too).  Calder is the toughest trophy to win as it’s so exclusive, he’s well on his way...

Yes when he comes down the boards and wires a slap shot definitely resembles Gretzky it's nice to watch, personally I'm more of a wrist shot guy and we'll EP does that as well lol, I like when EP gets some time to decide where he wants to shoot and then just snipes top corner on the goalie, if EP gets more than a couple seconds before he takes a shot infront of the goalie chances are it's a goal, can't always say that about a Canuck player. As for the Calder looks like it could be closer then originally thought, fingers crossed EP stays healthy.

On 12/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes when he comes down the boards and wires a slap shot definitely resembles Gretzky it's nice to watch, personally I'm more of a wrist shot guy and we'll EP does that as well lol, I like when EP gets some time to decide where he wants to shoot and then just snipes top corner on the goalie, if EP gets more than a couple seconds before he takes a shot infront of the goalie chances are it's a goal, can't always say that about a Canuck player. As for the Calder looks like it could be closer then originally thought, fingers crossed EP stays healthy.

I think at this point we could give the championship to Pettersson,  Boeser is awesome, and is a big part of our next core, but Pettersson is at another level entirely.  At first I wasn’t sure about the Alien moniker, but now I’m growing to like it, it’s fitting because he doesn’t things that are jaw dropping...one of the best passes yet this year, and several goals that also are up for consideration as the best so far this year too.  Most of his points are primary, but the little things he does impress too, and he sure could have a lot more...

Archived