The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suspect Charged in 13 Year Old Girl's (Marrisa Shen) Murder

DonLever

40 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yup. If you live in this province, more so as a younger person, there is no real future. Especially if you get murdered by a Syrian refugee. 

As well,

its irresponsible commments like this that are counterproductive to any reasonable conversation.

i have my concerns with how the gvt is handling immigration but to shed some perspective:

two men men confirmed dead after gone missing on van island this summer. Police treating it now as murder.

one man from Duncan still missing, this summer, vehicle found with blood inside.

an attempt of the above in Courtenay a month ago, the young man escaped.

thats 4 violent acts on young men in one summer on an island.

so what are the comparative numbers via Syrian immigrants?

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

This is bull$&!#.  Are you throwing in the towel?

it takes guts, integrity, and work ethic.  If you have an education that is applicable you are another step ahead.

put your head down and grind.  

Math can not be defeated...

Check out the appreciation of real estate and rental costs  over the last 5 years.

16 years of BC liberals selling out our province has destroyed it for our youth / future generations. 

Its just Math. 

Sadly the workers ( including the middle class )  in BC are defeated....

image.jpeg.e94bdfb0d3ddb8051d0a53c2f47b98c3.jpeg

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Check out the appreciation of real estate and rental costs  over the last 5 years.

16 years of BC liberals selling out our province has destroyed it for our youth / future generations. 

Its just Math. 

Math is not my strength.

I’m playing my game and winning.

hard work though.

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its just Math. 

Hmmm...I don't feel defeated....

Of course I live on the north coast which isn't really part of BC according to popular sentiment here on CDC.:rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmm...I don't feel defeated....

Of course I live on the north coast which isn't really part of BC according to popular sentiment here on CDC.:rolleyes:

Just came through an amazingly beautiful summer in a beautiful place.  Family is healthy (hope yours is too) Life is good.

Funny how the right winger nutcases always use the exception to prove the rule and avoid any semblence of logic.

"A Syrian Refugee may have murdered a child, therefore all Syrians are child murderers and should be sent back to Syria."

Of course, this neglects to consider the fact most crime in Canada is committed by native born Canadians.

How come the OP didn't mention Robert Pickton and his victims?   Who by the way probably included minors.  No one was jumping up and down about the estimated 60 women killed by the Sexual Predator with a good Canadian Anglo Saxon background.

Or what about Clifford Olson, and his 11 child victims?  "Clifford Olson"... a nice Nordic name for you... white as they come.

A look at the most famous BC Serial killers reveals a whole heck of a lot of White Guys murdering people... but nowhere do I see the right wingers calling for all Anglo Saxon types to be deported back to England, Germany or wherever their ancestors came from.

https://www.narcity.com/ca/bc/vancouver/lifestyle/9-of-the-most-notorious-criminals-in-british-columbia-history

Typical knee jerk right wing hypocrisy.  This thread is clickbait for the Trump wanna be's.

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

False

People need to open their minds and be realistic.  I’m not saying there isn’t an inflated market.  I grew up in north van and was priced out along time ago.  Ironically I wouldn’t live there now if I had the money.

but there are many places offering reasonable prices and lifestyles outside of the gvrd/lower mainland/valley

It's literally not false. It's quite common. But you know, that takes money too, resources, and simply moving away isn't a solution to the obvious bigger picture. 

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

As well,

its irresponsible commments like this that are counterproductive to any reasonable conversation.

i have my concerns with how the gvt is handling immigration but to shed some perspective:

two men men confirmed dead after gone missing on van island this summer. Police treating it now as murder.

one man from Duncan still missing, this summer, vehicle found with blood inside.

an attempt of the above in Courtenay a month ago, the young man escaped.

thats 4 violent acts on young men in one summer on an island.

so what are the comparative numbers via Syrian immigrants?

Relax, I'm not being serious about that

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Funny how the right winger nutcases always use the exception to prove the rule and avoid any semblence of logic.

"A Syrian Refugee may have murdered a child, therefore all Syrians are child murderers and should be sent back to Syria."

Of course, this neglects to consider the fact most crime in Canada is committed by native born Canadians.

How come the OP didn't mention Robert Pickton and his victims?   Who by the way probably included minors.  No one was jumping up and down about the estimated 60 women killed by the Sexual Predator with a good Canadian Anglo Saxon background.

Or what about Clifford Olson, and his 11 child victims?  "Clifford Olson"... a nice Nordic name for you... white as they come.

A look at the most famous BC Serial killers reveals a whole heck of a lot of White Guys murdering people... but nowhere do I see the right wingers calling for all Anglo Saxon types to be deported back to England, Germany or wherever their ancestors came from.

https://www.narcity.com/ca/bc/vancouver/lifestyle/9-of-the-most-notorious-criminals-in-british-columbia-history

Typical knee jerk right wing hypocrisy.  This thread is clickbait for the Trump wanna be's.

With the Syrian screenings, it's supposed to filter all any potential problem individuals from coming into Canada to begin with.  

You don't just go, "Well.... 5% of the Canadian population commit crime, thus it's expected that 5% of Syrian refugees will commit crime too".  The investigation process is supposed to eliminate that 5% group right off the top... thus 0% of Syrian refugees commits any crime.  

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

With the Syrian screenings, it's supposed to filter all any potential problem individuals from coming into Canada to begin with.  

You don't just go, "Well.... 5% of the Canadian population commit crime, thus it's expected that 5% of Syrian refugees will commit crime too".  The investigation process is supposed to eliminate that 5% group right off the top... thus 0% of Syrian refugees commits any crime.  

The only investigation process that can happen is making sure that these people are not on a terrorist watch list.

Any other investigation would have to go through Damascus and Assad is not helping with that.

Another day another white person murdering people :(

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/man-charged-belgian-tourist-hitchiker-1.4825553

Oh...oh wait sorry, my bad.  We are only super concerned with murderers if they look different sound different worship a different sky fairy or somehow don't conform to some peoples preferred societal look

They caught the murderer of a belgian tourist who was killed a few weeks back.  No hot topic format stories for him.  No right wing regalia screaming terror in to the night.

The murder of an individual is a heinous, reprehensible act.  the ONLY thing as vile is using the murderers identity to score points with a political base who is already so ignorant and afraid they can barely stand to see their own dark shadows.

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Another day another white person murdering people :(

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/man-charged-belgian-tourist-hitchiker-1.4825553

Oh...oh wait sorry, my bad.  We are only super concerned with murderers if they look different sound different worship a different sky fairy or somehow don't conform to some peoples preferred societal look

They caught the murderer of a belgian tourist who was killed a few weeks back.  No hot topic format stories for him.  No right wing regalia screaming terror in to the night.

The murder of an individual is a heinous, reprehensible act.  the ONLY thing as vile is using the murderers identity to score points with a political base who is already so ignorant and afraid they can barely stand to see their own dark shadows.

You can't control who is born in Canada.... but you can control who enters Canada.  

16 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

You can't control who is born in Canada.... but you can control who enters Canada.  

I don’t get the argument when people compare native born killers to those that immigrated.

There are bad people everywhere of course, that goes for every ethnic group, race, religion etc.

My point has always been, since we have plenty of American born gang bangers, criminals, drug dealers, terrorists etc.

No need to import people like that from Mexico, El Salvador, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Italy,  Somalia etc.

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

37 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t get the argument when people compare native born killers to those that immigrated.

There are bad people everywhere of course, that goes for every ethnic group, race, religion etc.

My point has always been, since we have plenty of American born gang bangers, criminals, drug dealers, terrorists etc.

No need to import people like that from Mexico, El Salvador, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Italy,  Somalia etc.

I see you both missed the importance of my post.

A man horribly murdered a backpacker.  he is white.  He is canadian.  There are no stories regarding this persons background, religion, city or area of origin.  Just a name.

A person barely a man murders a girl.  He is not canadian.  he is a refugee privately sponsored (privately is important to understand here) and the stories coming out regarding his race, ethnicity, background, failures on the part of the government are quite literally now in their dozens.  

Why?

Why is one murder for some people more important than another?  A person is dead either way.  Using the murderers background as a platform to further perpetuate a divide when a family mourns is disgusting.  But I see that some don't seem to let up on it.

In a day and age where identity politics seem to be so important, playing in to that divide only further divides us.

You CAN control who comes in to canada.  But then if that's so important, why can we not control the people here committing these horrific crimes?  

We DO have gang members, drug dealers and rapists already from home and our southern neighbours.  But propagating stories that some how some way this is the fault of the government or a specific group of people as some media is doing is utterly ridiculous because at no point in time will anyone ever look at an individual and ask if they plan to rape and or murder someone and get a straight answer.  

People are sick.  this is not the fault of anyone but the killer.  The greater evil is the media who is using this as an ever larger piece of their wedge to further said divide

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

unless you've figured out how to make Minority Report reality that statement doesn't mean much. On the whole recent immigrants cause less crime than Canadian citizens so if we took your statement at face value we should be kicking Canadian citizens out of the country to lower the crime rate.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

unless you've figured out how to make Minority Report reality that statement doesn't mean much. On the whole recent immigrants cause less crime than Canadian citizens so if we took your statement at face value we should be kicking Canadian citizens out of the country to lower the crime rate.

Its just crazy (though I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore) that study after study comes out showing that immigrants are less likely to commit crime, that crimes rates are lower in neighborhoods with a higher concentration of new immigrants, etc., yet some people just want to die on their sword.

Archived