The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Finnish winger Kaapo Kakko might be the 1st overall pick in 2019, not Jack Hughes.

Blade Paradigm

Last year I REALLY wanted Hughes because I knew Dahlin would never come to us. This year, as much as I would LOVE Jack on the team I think I would almost be as happy if we somehow landed Kakko. I've been watching this kid for awhile now and he is the real deal, a total package. Very likely he is NHL ready next year.

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

If Pettersson pans out at centre this season, then we should be looking at Bowen Byram more than the guys. 

Best Player Available regardless of position. Then when we have too much in one position, we deal from a position of strength. 

I'd still take Jack, the prospect of having brothers (again) is a marketing dream (again) and they have been playing together for their whole lives, something that can not be taught, and offers an intangible sum is greater than the parts type of scenario (again).

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Great post OP

I think it depends on the team drafting 1st.  For a team like Canucks we are set at C with EP Horvat Gaud

We need more size and Kakko is 6'2 around 190. Need a big RW power forward like him on this team. 

Kakko is more of a complete package than Hughes and would most likely play in the NHL right away.  He would be my vote for 1st overall.

If we win the lottery, we'd be hard pressed not to take Kakko.  He's exactly what we need moving forward.  Though, I can see management making a decision based on marketing and pick Hughes.

Kakko looks like a stud.  This year will be similar to 2017 where the first player chosen may not be the best player in the draft.  I also like Byram as he's a local boy and the best defenceman in the draft so I wouldn't mind at all if we ended up with him.  Would be great from a marketing perspective to be able to draft Byram right here in Vancouver at Rogers Arena.

6 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Kakko shot up my personal rankings to number 1. I factor lack of competition and injuries for Hughes as my big reasoning. I think Kakko can play in the middle as well much like Pettersson made the switch, he's that skilled to do so.

If we do get lucky and draft Kakko, does that allow us to trade Bo for an elite (and young) winger?

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we do get lucky and draft Kakko, does that allow us to trade Bo for an elite (and young) winger?

No we need BO as our #2 centre as they are very hard to find.  If we can somehow luck out and get the #1 overall pick I would take Kakko.

Pearson   Pettersson    Boeser

Leivo        Horvat          Kakko

Roussel   Gaudette      Virtanen

Motte       Beagle         MacEwen

Edler         Tanev

Hughes     Myers

Hutton      Stecher

Markstrom    Demko

That's a playoff lineup.

Kakko at the draft and sign Myers as a UFA and we are set I think.  Juolevi, Sautner, Brisebois, Woo and Tryamkin still waiting in the wings on defence and we have Lind and Gadjovich as well up front with Madden on the way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

A Patrik Kane like player intrigues me more then a guy like Kakko.

Its an over-sell to say he is Patrick Kane type player. He is built like Kane and has the 'puck on a string + stick-handle in a phone booth' ability to him like Kane. However, his shot is nowhere close to PK territory and most likely, will never be.

I am not too interested in the brothers dynamic, predominantly because the Sedins didn't have the brothers dynamic, they had the TWINS dynamic. Which is entirely different in the X-factor stuff. 

Besides, if we get JH, along with QH and EP, we are gonna be mince-meat next March. We don't just need tough wingers who can stand up for our kids as well as play good hockey, we also need wingers who are big enough to take a hit to make a play and won't be roughed up so easily. 

Kaapo is the clear-cut choice for me. 

26 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

If you were the Canucks and you got the #2 overall pick, would you trade up to ensure you draft Jack Hughes or stay put and take either Hughes or Kakko? Either way would be a huge win for the Canucks (duh).

maybe, depends on the price and partner of course. I doubt Colorado would make a deal with us, but Detroit might, but they'd probably want Hughes since he's a home town kid. 

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

If you were the Canucks and you got the #2 overall pick, would you trade up to ensure you draft Jack Hughes or stay put and take either Hughes or Kakko? Either way would be a huge win for the Canucks (duh).

I'd take either one at 2 over giving up an asset for either one and I prefer Kakko myself, would be just as happy with Hughes though. 

Archived