The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Go After Panarin?

Rindiculous

So today Artemi Panarin told the Columbus Blue Jackets that he will not be resigning and will be entering free agency.  Now in free agency, Panarin will likely fetch somewhere in between 8 and 10 million, and I'm thinking he might be a good fit with the Canucks.

The Canucks currently do not have a #1 LW or one in the system who projects to be a true #1 LW, but landing a guy like Panarin can complete a lethal top line.  I assume we will likely get another top 10 pick this year, and that would be the last piece we need before we start competing again.  Therefore, I don't find a problem making a big scoring signing next year and then that year we can actually try to run 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown line rather than 2 and 2.

We should be fine for cap space next year since Edler is coming off the books and I think they probably resign him for 2 or 3 mill.  That will give us about 20 mill cap space to sign Boeser, which will probably be about 7 or 8 mill.  That leaves us with 12 or 13 mill left to spend on Panarin.  Year after we wouldn't be bad off either because Gagner is coming off the books and really all we have to sign is Gaudette, Stecher, and Tanev (if he's still on the Canucks).  After that we might have a few Canucks to sign in Pettersson and Hughes, but that shouldn't be too hard and worst case scenario we waive Eriksson and have plenty of extra cap space as well.  So basically cap probably won't be a problem.

Especially if we show off our young guys this year, we can attract Panarin this year, and then be set for many, many years after.  Thoughts?

He's probably gonna go back to Chicago. Robin is missing (not statistically) Batman. They'll have like 20mil in cap space next season, and they could fill out their roster with ELCs/Cheap vets.

Edit: Our best chance at getting him would be taking a risk and trading for him and hoping we can convince him to stay. NBA reference but that's what happened with Paul George and OKC. He was all but assured to go to the Lakers but he found he really enjoyed his time in OKC enough to re-sign there. So all in all I'd say our chances in the Panarin sweepstakes are extremely low because I am not down for trading for a guy we can lose after one year. Especially when we are one more top 5 draft pick away from completing this rebuild, if things go well with Dahlen, Pettersson, and Demko.

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

We have the Luongo recapture to worry about too.  Better to wait until we're actual contenders and not have to overpay as much.

I am not too worried about that anymore. Players don't seem to want to screw teams over on their way out. Zetterberg hasn't technically retired cause he doesn't want Detroit to get hit with that recapture. Lu seems like a good dude. Worst case scenario is Florida asks us to take him back when he can't play and we get a good young guy to take that contract. Not to mention the current CBA is up in 2 years (I think) and Lu has 3 years left, so I think they look at removing that restriction since teams have circumvented the rule anyway through LTIR. Hossa and Zetterberg being a couple of the more recent guys that retired but didn't retire.

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Yes, but it depends on what his priorities are. He cited that playing on a legitimate contender was a big reason why he signed with Chicago. If he is leaving the Jackets then that's likely what he is looking for, a team that has a shot at a Cup.

Thing is Chicago won't be a contender anymore and will start a rebuild.  Us on the other hand are at the tail end of a rebuild.  I think we'll be a fringe playoff team in 2020 and then we'll be a contender for the remaining 6 years or so of Panarin's contract...which should be enticing, because all our best players are younger than him.

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Yzerman has or is retiring. In case you missed it.

Actually did miss that, reading he's staying on the remainder of the year in an advisory role while Brisebois takes the reins.

So honestly...little to no change at all.  Same management core.

As good as a player he his, I'm not sure he's worth the money he will get.   8.5M$ would be the max I would give him and I wouldn't give him 7 years either.   When your talking about that much money, you want that player to be your leader, the one you rely on when things get tough and i'm not sure Panarin is that guy.   He reminds me of Kessel with Toronto.  He will get his points but he won't necessarily make everyone around him better, he does his thing on his own, but when you pair him with Crosby and Malkin, that's when he's more effective, just like Panarin with Toews and Kane.  

I'd rather keep the cap space, I'm not convince Panarin makes us contenders and if we are going to spend that much money, he should be.

If he's interested in Vancouver you've gotta take a good hard look at what he wants tbh. That being said, I'm reluctant to give long term to anyone not named Brock Boeser at this point and he'll probably want max term.

Also gotta be wary of the Luongo bit, recapture penalty could be a big wrench on the off chance he retires.

Archived