The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your plan on Rebuilding our attrocious D (Discussion)

KKnight

Hey guys its pretty clear our D is going to be very bad again this year offensively. With our only hopes being Eddy, a resurgence in Hutton (he has looked good moving the puck) and anything from Stech. 

I think we're out of it, by at least early February. So what would your plan be, knowing we are most likely heading for another top 5 selection? 

We trade Sutter, Tanev or Guddy, potentially Edler depending on plan for extension ( I know he has a ntc, but if we tell him were not signing you either way),  Del Zotto if you can get anything.

Returning D : If Hutty has a decent year, I could see him as a bottom pairing dman next year for us. Stech? One of Tanev/Guddy? 

How would you build the right side?

Lets say we gain at least a late first, couple seconds and some prospects. 

What would your plan be? 

I'd rather keep Guddy and Del Zotto over Hutton.  

I hope his improved conditioning translates to a better game on the ice.  He was atrocious last year. 

I dont think we need to rebuild our defence, rather let it develop. I personally believe Hutton, at 24, is as good as he gets. and same goes for Pouliot. Most D-men only get marginally better after 24, save Giordano. The Canucks have some pretty good d-men coming up the pipes with Juolevi and Hughes in the works. Despite what some people say, we have a pretty solid player in Juolevi, would he go 5th OA in a redraft? No, but he's still definitely going to be a minute muncher in the NHL. Juolevi, in my opinion has already eclipsed Pouliot in terms of depth. Sadly Pouliot just didn't look a cut above the people fighting for a spot, and at his age he shouldn't be fighting for a spot on a bottom feeder team, like the Canucks.

The brightside is we have guys like Brisboise, who will probably have a career in the NHL, which is nice, you don't need to trade or overpay a free agent to get him. Sautner, as far as I could see, was honestly one of the best d-men in the first and second game. He was a lot of fun to watch, I think his positioning needs work, but that's teachable. AHL for him, but if he keeps this pace he could find himself a few games in the NHL this season, knowing our luck. 

I guess my stoned late night rant is, just let it chill. Edlers good insulation on D for the young guys. Like the Sedins, let the young players earn their time over Edler, like Horvat did with Henrik.  It's foolish to be like Edmonton, and just hand players top 6 roles just because they were a high pick or scored a few goals. If the Canucks suck because of the defence, then we just get better draft picks to draft better d-men, and then we'll end up even better for even longer. 

P.S. Tryamkin WILL return to the Canucks, and make an huge impact. He's going to be a star in this league. (I just really like Tryamkin, please come back :( )

I think waiting and developing is the only way to revamp the defence.

1. Incorporate Juolevi into the lineup by mid season.

2. Bring Hughes in at the end of Michigan's season.

3. Re-sign Edler.

4. Re-sign Tanev if possible. If he doesn't want to stay, then trade him to a contender at the TDL, which should yield a late first rounder (25-31 OA). I'm sure teams like Tampa, Washington, Toronto, and Pittsburgh can all use a defenceman like Tanev for the playoffs. Hopefully one of Briesbois/Sautner are ready to make the team if Tanev is traded.

6. Do not re-sign MDZ. Lose Hutton and Pouliot unless one of them proves their worth this season.

7. Convince Tryamkin to come back.

Next season, go with Hughes, Juolevi, Edler, Gudbranson, Stecher, and one or two of Tanev/Tryamkin/Briesbois/Sautner.

We are likely to be headed for another top 10 pick in 2019 and next season with two to three rookies in Hughes, Juolevi (depending on how many games he plays this season), and Briesbois/Sautner, we will likely be missing the playoffs for one more season of top 15 pick. Pick another defenceman in this year's or the next. Infuse them.

Or, we can sign Karlsson for 12 million dollars.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I think waiting and developing is the only way to revamp the defence.

1. Incorporate Juolevi into the lineup by mid season.

2. Bring Hughes in at the end of Michigan's season.

3. Re-sign Edler.

4. Re-sign Tanev if possible. If he doesn't want to stay, then trade him to a contender at the TDL, which should yield a late first rounder (25-31 OA). I'm sure teams like Tampa, Washington, Toronto, and Pittsburgh can all use a defenceman like Tanev for the playoffs. Hopefully one of Briesbois/Sautner are ready to make the team if Tanev is traded.

6. Do not re-sign MDZ. Lose Hutton and Pouliot unless one of them proves their worth this season.

7. Convince Tryamkin to come back.

Next season, go with Hughes, Juolevi, Edler, Gudbranson, Stecher, and one or two of Tanev/Tryamkin/Briesbois/Sautner.

We are likely to be headed for another top 10 pick in 2019 and next season with two to three rookies in Hughes, Juolevi (depending on how many games he plays this season), and Briesbois/Sautner, we will likely be missing the playoffs for one more season of top 15 pick. Pick another defenceman in this year's or the next. Infuse them.

Or, we can sign Karlsson for 12 million dollars.

Well< you saved me the trouble of typing most of what you said here.  I agree with most of what you said here (don’t here that much on CDC). 

I think we are stuck with Guddy so hope he can stay healthy and improve. Would also bring back Edler if the price is similar to Guddy. 

Would have OJ in this year and frankly probably early. 

With Hughes coming don’t think you can keep more than one of Pouliot, Stetcher, Hutton or MDZ. Don’t think we should keep more than two of them now. 

Wont see Tryamkin next year. Maybe the next. 

‘Probably next prospect we will see knocking after OJ and Hughes is Chatfield or Brisebois. They will likely get some games this year because of injuries and look to crack the lineup next year (one or the other not both)

i hope we will see a little more movement of players this year but most of our good prospects are so raw that we may pretty much need to go with the mediocre vets we have and pray that Cull is really, really good at developing NHL players. 

We will be fine.  We have an elite guy in Hughes who will be in the lineup in a year, and others who project potentially better than what we have. I wouldn't mind continuing to build it (as every team should) but what is the current mess won't last for too much longer.

I think that Benning is going to let it develop.  You can't rebuild by moving out assets at this point in the rebuild.  

Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson are medium term place holders.  Edler can be re-signed short term.  

Stecher is a keeper

Hutton and Pouliot are with the team for now and we're hoping for improvement

MDZ is a short term place holder.  Gone at trade deadline imo

The future:

• Hughes - next season
  • Juolevi - mid season call up imo
  • Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner - all 3 have a decent chance of becoming NHL D
  • Jett Woo - disappointed we didn't see him at camp due to injury.  Plenty of potential here.

In 2-3 years:  The D is rebuilt

Hughes Woo

Juolevi Stecher

Brisebois Chatfield

Sautner Gudbranson

Hutton has been good at moving the puck? As a puck handler? Cause as a passer he has been pretty rough. Seeing Boeser and Pettersson constantly receive Hutton's passes on their backhand was frustrating to watch on that PP.

As for revitalizing our abysmal d-core all we can really do is wait for Juolevi and Hughes to become (hopefully) top 4 D-men. Would go a long way drafting Victor Soderstrom as well, still my early favorite for a draft pick this year.

Not much can be done via trade. Maybe Karlsson will sign here this offseason, but he wants to be the highest paid D-man in the league. That's 11mil as a starting point. No thanks imo.

I think they should stay on the same course.  Let OJ and Hughes develop.   One more high draft year and then they will have enough assets to either trade for a top 4 guy or go after one on the UFA market.  Keep in mind that the Canucks will be far desirable UFA destination if its perceived as a young and up and coming team.

The bonus (if you want to look at it that way) is that this current D + goaltending almost guarantee at least another top 10 pick.

If we can get a couple extra picks for June, great. The whole back end is disposable. The dynamic offensive Hughes is the hard part to find. He`ll join the club in the spring. The other supporting pieces are easier to find. Keep developing through the draft with the odd UFA if and when needed. Soon ready to turn the corner.

I think its going to be a little better than what we've seen so far.

Edler-Guddy: seems to be working and EG looks to be in good shape. Edler may be done here after this season. 

Hutton-Tanev: if Huttons apparent resurgence is real this could be a nice pairing.

Del Z - Stecher: Del Zotto is what he is, we'll only see 1 more year of him at the most. Stecher is becoming a solid player as well.

So the only thing really to do is wait. Juolevi is on track to start next season for sure, Hughes likely as well. Saunter is a nice 6/7 surprise. Rathbone, Woo, Breisbois might all be competing for jobs in 2 seasons. Maybe Tryamkin comes back.

After this season the d group gets younger and more dynamic so its not going to be that long of a wait.  

I see a fist full of potential on LD

MDZ brings very little in the mold of a consistent 2nd line #3/4, and I would move him at the TDL

I wouldn't mind us moving/waiving Pouliot and letting Juolevi, Brisebois and Saunter fight for that spot 

Hutton has potential, whether that can be achieved or not is the question, but his time to show is now or never

All in all......the youth movement is on its way, and Hughes potentially take over the #1 on this team, Juolevi #2 LD....both pretty young for that responsibility

Edler does provide that stability.....short term, and it would be foolish not to resign short term

Honestly, I would give him a 2 year NMC …..his absence was noticeable last night IMO

We are at least 2 more years away from a complete turn over on Left Defense

RD, is a totally whole different story...……….

With Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher...our top 3 spots are full for 3 or 4 years, and unless we are picking a 1st round prospect in 2019 or 2020

they have little competition as of now...……….key words are right now!

Chatfield will be a 5/6 at best, and Woo has potential that is yet to be determined, and Tryamkin is a question mark???

So bottom line on RD...…….Middle of the road defense in that position, and with middle of the road defensive "potential" replacements

Overall......Edler and Tanev are our only 2 solid dependable Dman as of right now

Hughes and Juolevi are our future top end Dmen, with Woo being undetermined

Brsiebois, Saunter, Chatfield will be 5/6 if given a chance

MDZ and to a greater extent Hutton, Pouliot, Biega are just place holders

Tryamkin is a puzzle and will have to return to even be evaluated, having been away 3 years, and with questionable development his placement is 

unknown. Huge potential, or huge bust....maybe he is where he wants to be.....That is the question

IMO, outside of another Center prospect, our focus should be on another RHD.with the upcoming 2 drafts, first rounders.....That or move a pick later on to get some potential into the top of our RHD...…..but either way, we need an elite RHD in 3 to 4 years...………."IF" they don't move Hughes over there????

Or I could just be wrong...…....but that is how I see it.

Do not under any circumstances resign Edler!  Please no!  The Zamboni driver can out skate him and he gives us the puck, at the point way too easily resulting in breakaways, two on ones or hooking penalties.  Play the young guys and let them swim.

Archived