Sign in to follow this  
vannuck59

[Proposal] Virtanen for Sanheim

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

I hear you , your saying Jake will be Todd Bertuzzi  like and Im saying Sanheim will be a stud # 1 or 2 D man for us fair trade. 

 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

I hear you , your saying Jake will be Todd Bertuzzi  like and Im saying Sanheim will be a stud # 1 or 2 D man for us fair trade. 

 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

I hear you , your saying Jake will be Todd Bertuzzi  like and Im saying Sanheim will be a stud # 1 or 2 D man for us fair trade. 

I don’t know him so tough to comment, I do know Jake has an extremely rare combination of size speed and skill. Completely untapped so far. Juolevi should be good and Hughes could be a Norris trophy winner. A player like Jake is unique. He may be the fastest player in the league and is becoming impossible to check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Ok fair enough than USE Jake on the second line. 

 

Goldobin - Pettersson - Virtanen

I really like Jake with Pettersson too.  No to Goldy though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I really like Jake with Pettersson too.  No to Goldy though.  

I agree. I think Petersson could make a Baertschi and Virtanen line look great for years.  

 

I am really struggling with Goldobin.  I just don't see him do anything.  He looks great in the shootout or once a game when he breaks free. But he is like those guys in the long drive competitions, lots of skill to entertain by himself, but cant play golf at the highest level.

Edited by Dixon Ward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrtripdarren said:

Last year Virtanen had .57 goals per 60 mins playing even strength. Baertschi had .53. So that alone would say Virtanen is better. Moreover, Baertschi played more than 50% of all his shifts with Horvat and Boeser. Virtanen never played on that line and was often paired with Dowd and Gaunce. 

 

Green just misplayed the fastest player in the league with the slowest players on the team. Virtanen is a much better player than people give him credit for, and Green is hung up on Baertschi who is weak on the puck. He is an opportunist much like Gagner, put them on with good players and they do something. Ask them to drive the offense with lesser players and they disappear. 

You know there is a real chance Virtanen gets cut from the roster right? You are just really lucky both LE and AR got injured. And here you are praising him like he is the second coming of Kassian. We all know how that thread went. So many people jumped off the praise Kassian boat it was a psychology phenomenon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-09-21 at 9:58 AM, vannuck59 said:

Yup you heard me time to Fish , we are done cutting bait.Trading youth for youth Jake is floundering need a new start ,Travis Sanheim would up grade our D and give us PP puck distributor . add Hutton if necessary 

Jake is not a flounder.

 

He’s a Big Tuna!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You know there is a real chance Virtanen gets cut from the roster right? You are just really lucky both LE and AR got injured. And here you are praising him like he is the second coming of Kassian. We all know how that thread went. So many people jumped off the praise Kassian boat it was a psychology phenomenon.

Kassian...you're kidding me.  Jake's now up to Bertuzzi proportions!:o

 

Seriously though, I don't see Jake leaving Vancouver anytime soon 'cause homeboy and JB's 1st pick and all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, Canckelhead said:

Virtanen has size and speed like no others and he is still way to young to trade away. There is a reason Jim picked him so high in the draft, to trade him away now for next to nothing would be idiotic 

Who said anything about giving him away for next to nothing???  The proposal offer another 1st rounder of the same year, a puck moving defenseman, nonetheless, which are considered hot commodity nowadays.  I wasn't even commenting on the return, just on the fact that Virtanen is far from untouchable is the return is good.

 

But hopelessly wishing Virtanen becomes the savior of this team and expecting him to be another Cam Nelly is idiotic.  Yes he was picked high, yes he's an nhl caliber player, but he's far away from being the 30/40 goals power forward everyone here seems to think he is going to be.  For every Bertuzzi or Neely that were traded away too early, there is approximately 50 guys that were hold on to far too long and the guy was lost to waivers or traded for a 3rd rounder. 

 

I'm not on the TRADE VIRTANEN band wagon, I'm just saying he's far from untouchable and if he can fill a void somewhere else and we get fair return, I won't mind.  I trust Benning on making that judgement call if he has too.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Who said anything about giving him away for next to nothing???  The proposal offer another 1st rounder of the same year, a puck moving defenseman, nonetheless, which are considered hot commodity nowadays.  I wasn't even commenting on the return, just on the fact that Virtanen is far from untouchable is the return is good.

 

But hopelessly wishing Virtanen becomes the savior of this team and expecting him to be another Cam Nelly is idiotic.  Yes he was picked high, yes he's an nhl caliber player, but he's far away from being the 30/40 goals power forward everyone here seems to think he is going to be.  For every Bertuzzi or Neely that were traded away too early, there is approximately 50 guys that were hold on to far too long and the guy was lost to waivers or traded for a 3rd rounder. 

 

I'm not on the TRADE VIRTANEN band wagon, I'm just saying he's far from untouchable and if he can fill a void somewhere else and we get fair return, I won't mind.  I trust Benning on making that judgement call if he has too.  

 

Exactly Virtanen getting us a upgrade on D yah I would be all in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You know there is a real chance Virtanen gets cut from the roster right? You are just really lucky both LE and AR got injured. And here you are praising him like he is the second coming of Kassian. We all know how that thread went. So many people jumped off the praise Kassian boat it was a psychology phenomenon.

I'd still have Kassian over Hodgson. I would make that trade again and again and again, and hindsight just makes it even more so. Did you know that there's even a chance Kassian could bi-pass Hodgson in points this year? And, if not this year, next year is even more likely. Kassian's actually been good for Edmonton, probably because he doesn't have the expectations there that he did here.

 

And the likelihood of Virtanen getting cut from the roster is slim to none. There's going to be that chance still, but not enough to really worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Lock said:

I'd still have Kassian over Hodgson. I would make that trade again and again and again, and hindsight just makes it even more so. Did you know that there's even a chance Kassian could bi-pass Hodgson in points this year? And, if not this year, next year is even more likely. Kassian's actually been good for Edmonton, probably because he doesn't have the expectations there that he did here.

 

And the likelihood of Virtanen getting cut from the roster is slim to none. There's going to be that chance still, but not enough to really worry about.

The trade was never about Kassian vs Hodgson, which player is better. So many people are missing the point. It is about value management, trading for value with right timing. Hodgson no matter how good or bad he is was thriving on our team. He was a 0.50ppg in his rookie and had attention on him around the league. If we wanted to trade him, we should have gotten something much better than Kassian. Kassian was 7 points in 27 games in his rookie year and looked out of place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

The trade was never about Kassian vs Hodgson, which player is better. So many people are missing the point. It is about value management, trading for value with right timing. Hodgson no matter how good or bad he is was thriving on our team. He was a 0.50ppg in his rookie and had attention on him around the league. If we wanted to trade him, we should have gotten something much better than Kassian. Kassian was 7 points in 27 games in his rookie year and looked out of place. 

Hodgson wasn't thriving on the team though. He was stuck as a 3rd line center behind Sedin and Kesler and it didn't look like he was going to get a break in a top 6 role, which is where his skill set was more suited for. He simply didn't fit on the team; therefore, it made sense for us to trade him. Hodgson didn't really have a good looking future with us, and I actually wondered if that was going to be the case even before he traded him. It was always in the back of my head "what do we do with Hodgson?" because he simply didn't fit on our team... at all....

 

If we are to go by your logic of "which player is better", Kassian was a solid player to trade for at the time. He was a prototypical power forward with hands and a nose for the net. While he hadn't played as many games in the NHL as Hodgson, he was also a year younger. Therefore, value for value, it was actually a pretty equal trade.

 

The people against Kassian seem to want to focus on who is better at the time, yet completely forget about potential. Kassian had a lot of potential and anyone who thinks otherwise is missing the point. Hodgson had a lot of potential too, but given he had smarts but an evident lack of hockey talent itself (he had to work harder to develop his skills essentially) along with injuries, his potential would have been much harder to realise, This is even being compared with a power forward in Kassian, a hard position to develop and play to begin with. Hindsight actually proves this as he was given a very good chance in Buffalo, but couldn't deliver.

 

And don't get me wrong either: I am not pro-Gillis. I liked some things that he did, but he definitely seemed to limit his trading ability by doing more "business" deals than "hockey" deals. He seemed to learn how to draft near the end, but I would not say his Kassian for Hodgson was one of his bad deals at all. I remember even breathing a sigh of relief when that deal took place. lol

Edited by The Lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 9:06 AM, Alflives said:

I really like Jake with Pettersson too.  No to Goldy though.  

Switch Virt to LW and throw on Erickson for the calming influence:

Virtanen - Petterson - Erickson

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, smokes said:

I would rather wait until I know that Jake is a wash before trading hin.

Yah then a bag of pucks would be coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Switch Virt to LW and throw on Erickson for the calming influence:

Virtanen - Petterson - Erickson

This would be an exceptionally good line 5 on 5.  Let's stalk Travis Green until he listens.  :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try Virtanen anywhere in the top 6 on the wings that is, if it transforms him into the player we thought he was when he was drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-09-21 at 9:58 AM, vannuck59 said:

Yup you heard me time to Fish , we are done cutting bait.Trading youth for youth Jake is floundering need a new start ,Travis Sanheim would up grade our D and give us PP puck distributor . add Hutton if necessary 

Not feelin any trade involving Jake.

I called it before camp and I'll say it again.

Jake's gonna have a break out season this year.

40+ this season.

He's the one player I'm looking to get bigger minutes and a bigger role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this I hope your right but if Green dosnt start using him in the top 6 he is starting to look like a player we should have been picked in the second round not the first.

Edited by vannuck59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.