The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Virtanen for Sanheim

vannuck59

On 9/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Trade away but don't trade Virtanen unless the haul is massive as you will regret it.   Such a unique combination of speed/size/skill and with this team projecting to be playoff competitive in the next few years, having this sort of player is almost essential for success.   Few of these players are ever acquired by trade - they are more typically homegrown and patiently.  

something this market doesn't have much of among many (not all) of its fans. 

On 9/21/2018 at 3:52 PM, timberz21 said:

So because of one mistakes 32 years ago, we shouldn't trade any young players?  

Based on that logic, we should have never traded Stojanov for Naslund.  Might has well been more patient with Schneider too instead of trading him for Horvat...

Win some, lose some.

POWER FORWARDS TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP!!!

yes I had to scream because people just don't get it. These young power forwards need to get their MAN STRENGTH before they can really bully a men's league.

Add his speed and shot into the equation, in 3-5 years he could be the best power forward in the league. Call me crazy all you want, you don't trade away that potential,  especially if he's a hometown kid!

11 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

yes I had to scream because people just don't get it. These young power forwards need to get their MAN STRENGTH before they can really bully a men's league.

Add his speed and shot into the equation, in 3-5 years he could be the best power forward in the league. Call me crazy all you want, you don't trade away that potential,  especially if he's a hometown kid!

Crazy!

On 9/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, Brock Botanen said:

I'm sorry but if your going to be the best power forward in the league, it won't take 6-8 years to reach that goal.  If your really meant to be that, it will take 3-4 years max.

I know, I know, you'll feed me that line of POWER FOWARDS TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP.  I bet you can't even name a few top recent power forwards that took longer to develop (and I don't want to hear anything about Bertuzzi and Nealy.).

That line might have been true in the 90s and early 2000.  But the game is shifting toward speed, skills.  If Virtanen has so much skills ans speed he should already be a superstar.

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I'm sorry but if your going to be the best power forward in the league, it won't take 6-8 years to reach that goal.  If your really meant to be that, it will take 3-4 years max.

I know, I know, you'll feed me that line of POWER FOWARDS TAKE LONGER TO DEVELOP.  I bet you can't even name a few top recent power forwards that took longer to develop (and I don't want to hear anything about Bertuzzi and Nealy.).

That line might have been true in the 90s and early 2000.  But the game is shifting toward speed, skills.  If Virtanen has so much skills ans speed he should already be a superstar.

I think that one of the things that has hurt Virtanen's numbers and thus confidence is our lack of playmakers.  Fitting with the Sedins was tough, it was a very specific game not tailored to Jake.  After that, we didn't really have any really good passers. I love Horvat and he is a great all around player but not an outstanding passer. Now with Petersson, Boeser, Goldobin and Hughes on the way, I think Jake's set of skills will be better utilized.  He is a north/south player not a cycle player.  He needs to play with fast guys with high hockey IQ that can make plays.  I don't think that we would even know the names of John Leclair or Kevin Stevens if they didn't have Lindros and Lemieux passing to them.  They also had great dmen starting the play.  Jake's head seems to be right and his fitness is there, he just needs to find the right guys to play with and I still think he will take off. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Virtanen for Sanheim

Once again its time for my monthly rant- Trade, Jake + Sautner to Flyers for Travis Sanheim , sorry Jake's skating into bust territory, and while your at it Tanev + Granlund to Toronto for Holl and Kapanen. Retain on Tanev. There I feel better, We get Size and some Grit on the back end, Scoring for our top 6 

Goldobin - Pettersson - Kapanen .

Archived