The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic suppression of black voters.

canuckster19

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Good for you. For many, $36.25 is their food budget for the week. 

Voting is not a privilege; it’s a right.  Voter required ID should be FREE to every eligible voter.  If it’s not, then the society is not truly a democracy, is it?  

Anyone arguing that this isn’t happening should just google “republicans admit voter suppression” or a similar search and they’ll find dozens of reports, including several with republican lawmakers and officials openly admitting that these voter ID laws are targeted at suppressing the votes of minorities and other groups that tend to vote democrat.

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

God forbid they ask you provide I.D when voting.

Also, when Trump ran...meaning it was Obamas administration that had to gut it... So what does that have to do with Trumps administration? When has the republican party ever gone on the record to say they want to suppress black voting? Where in the laws does it single out African Americans. This is bull**** news with a bull**** narrative.

You really believe that the GOP has not and is not trying to suppress segments of the American society ability to vote ? 

You are either ill informed or willfully ignorant of their behaviour in regards to this issue.

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

There's only unfair rules when the left loses. The push in Canada for proportional voting died when the people pushing for it got elected. Hillary would have won if she wasn't so corrupt. The Democrats literally rigged their own election against Bernie.

Squabbling amongst themselves is not rigging their own election.

4 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

IMO they are connected. As the CBC headline states "horrific efficiency". It's a win at any cost mentality. 

So gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc.. isn't necessarily done with racist intentions. The result is racist. But they will distance themselves and argue it was not the intent. 

The intent is to disqualify as many voters who may vote against them. Which is about as anti-democracy as it gets. Race issues aside this is wrong. 

I kinda see your point but I believe the GOP believe more African Americans will vote democrat rather than Republican.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm a bit surprised that this is even a debate. Voter suppression targeting the poor and minorities is well established as fact. So is Gerrymandering and the closing of voting locations in poorer districts, all with the aim of making it more difficult for low income Americans to vote.

I don't know if the premise of this thread is ignorance, or a disingenuous attempt to bait "the left", but it doesn't really matter....and frankly, I have a hard time deciding which is worse.

As I have stated before this happens in Aus re the Changing of electoral boundaries.

Both parties do this when in power.

Ignorance is worse than baiting IMO brother.

Who really cares about what someone you have no respect for states.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

It was a valid topic, most of which  has been covered in the immense "Trump" thread, but I wouldn't ask anyone to go through those 2816 pages. I didn't think you were trolling or anything like that, unfortunately a few respondents seem to like to stir it up. Don't worry, you are not being lumped in with them, at least not by me.

I believe many people not just here on CDC but in general think if you do not agree with their opinions/ beliefs you are a troll and/or trying to stir them up.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think it's that hard to understand. The most common form of photo ID is a driver's license. If you can't afford a car, why have one?

I question why it is that simple mate.

I have the long held belief that the only thing that seperates us from slavery is our vote, our chance to elect the people who govern us, even though that choice seems to be between the lesser of 2 evils.

If I was a African American, with their history I would do everything I can to enable me to have that choice.

In stating that I have a passionate driven nature.

I realise after generations of suppression a lot of African Americans would not feel the way someone like Malcolm X did 

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The biggest issues with black voters is gerrymandering by conservatives and felons not being allowed to vote. There are districts in Florida where 40-50% of the damn population cannot vote.   I get not being able to vote while imprisoned but after you've done your time and probation you should get your rights back

That is another issue, the percentage of African Americans convicted of crimes compared to their white counterparts.

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I don't want to like or plus this post because I feel empathy for your situation Brother 

Oh, I wasn't referring to myself. While I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about where my meals are coming from. 

But that is reality for a lot of Americans.

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I question why it is that simple mate.

I have the long held belief that the only thing that seperates us from slavery is our vote, our chance to elect the people who govern us, even though that choice seems to be between the lesser of 2 evils.

If I was a African American, with their history I would do everything I can to enable me to have that choice.

In stating that I have a passionate driven nature.

I realise after generations of suppression a lot of African Americans would not feel the way someone like Malcolm X did 

I have little doubt that many African Americans (and Hispanics) do exactly that...

....the point being, that they shouldn't have to. Government should enact legislation to make it easier for people to exercise their rights....not make it harder.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Oh, I wasn't referring to myself. While I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about where my meals are coming from. 

But that is reality for a lot of Americans.

Relieved to hear that.

It is becoming a reality for more Australians as well.

Don't start me on the distribution of wealth, I could go on for pages !

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

....the point being, that they shouldn't have to. Government should enact legislation to make it easier for people to exercise their rights....not make it harder.

Totally agree Brother.

Edit 

Bit of irony here, just happening to be listening to Rage Against the Machine ablum first ablum and the track, take the power back.

Snore.  Regardless of how deliberate this is, let's ask this important question: how much does it really matter?

I read somewhere over 3 million Americans don't have government photo ID.  Assuming they are all voting age, that is about 1.5% of eligible voters.  Not a large margin here.

5 of the states in the map that do not require any ID account for almost a third of the country's population (and the three largest of those 5 are so blue it wouldn't impact the election anyhow).  So, if those 1.5% are spread evenly, then over 900,000 of those who don't have ID don't need it to vote.  Perhaps it could account for more, since poverty can concentrate in high-population areas like LA, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

Considering those states that do require ID, again, with poverty converging in higher-density cities, those people would have easier access to places like the DMV.  So, while it can be complicated for some people to get the free ID that many states offer, a significant portion of the remaining 2 million would not struggle much to get it.  

Then let's look at voter turnout.  Typically running 55-60% of registered voters, one could estimate about 40% of these people not taking the time to vote if you ignore any ID laws.

So, after considering the 3M+ people who do not have photo ID, we can be talking a few hundred thousand votes.

Looks more and more like a molehill to me.  I can imagine some of those directly impacted outraged, but for the rest of us... meh.

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Good for you. For many, $36.25 is their food budget for the week. 

Well that is one way to look at it.  Or you can look at it as 2 cents a day over the 4 years. If someone really wants to vote bad enough, they will find a way to do it.

Besides, look at many of the voters who voted for the Democrats. Some of them are dead and they still managed to vote. :lol:

I like our system in Canada.

Any government photo ID card is enough.

And even if you don’t have government issued ID, you can just basically just show up on Election Day, with no preregistration needed, and bring pretty much whatever you have in your wallet (debit card, library card, etc) or whatever came recently in your mailbox (phone bill, utilities, etc) and they will let you vote.

Heck, you don’t even need ID really. You could just bring your phone. Your provider account would be considered acceptable ID. Or pretty much anything else you can pull up online to show them that verifies your address (bank account, student account, etc).

And if you don’t have anything in your name with your current address, you can bring whatever you have, and just get somebody with current ID come along with you and they can vouch for you.

I think you can even use a personal cheque as your ID. Or even a pill bottle with your name on it.

And the folks at the polls are usually super helpful suggesting options for people showing up without standard photo ID. They want you to vote.

The goal in any democracy should be getting as many citizens as possible to participate in the election process.

10 hours ago, Kragar said:

Snore.  Regardless of how deliberate this is, let's ask this important question: how much does it really matter?

I read somewhere over 3 million Americans don't have government photo ID.  Assuming they are all voting age, that is about 1.5% of eligible voters.  Not a large margin here.

5 of the states in the map that do not require any ID account for almost a third of the country's population (and the three largest of those 5 are so blue it wouldn't impact the election anyhow).  So, if those 1.5% are spread evenly, then over 900,000 of those who don't have ID don't need it to vote.  Perhaps it could account for more, since poverty can concentrate in high-population areas like LA, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

Considering those states that do require ID, again, with poverty converging in higher-density cities, those people would have easier access to places like the DMV.  So, while it can be complicated for some people to get the free ID that many states offer, a significant portion of the remaining 2 million would not struggle much to get it.  

Then let's look at voter turnout.  Typically running 55-60% of registered voters, one could estimate about 40% of these people not taking the time to vote if you ignore any ID laws.

So, after considering the 3M+ people who do not have photo ID, we can be talking a few hundred thousand votes.

Looks more and more like a molehill to me.  I can imagine some of those directly impacted outraged, but for the rest of us... meh.

Right....people being denied their constitutional rights....NBD....

3 Million? Interesting number. Isn't that exactly how many illegals voted for Hillary, costing president Pinocchio the popular vote? It all makes sense now....

Archived