The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Systemic suppression of black voters.

canuckster19

36 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and it isn't just black voters....the GOP wants to make sure First Nations voters are disqualified as well:\

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45795108

Hey now, if they really want to vote they can always just completely overhaul their community's infrastructure, go through the process of having it recognized officially by the state government, then update all their IDs accordingly. 

On 9/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, HerrDrFunk said:

A significant number of low income people in the states can't afford the fees involved with getting an ID. But I'm sure you already knew that. 

Obviously you should have to show ID to vote but there shouldn't be a monetary barrier to entry as well.

Why can't they afford it?

51 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Why can't they afford it?

The unfortunate reality is for a lot of people, the associated costs of getting an ID that can be used for voting is the difference between being able to eat or not. In those cases, I think the government should be working with people to get them proper ID rather than adding obstacles.

56 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The unfortunate reality is for a lot of people, the associated costs of getting an ID that can be used for voting is the difference between being able to eat or not. In those cases, I think the government should be working with people to get them proper ID rather than adding obstacles.

I wonder what their budget for cigarettes, booze, etc. is? Plenty of people that I know would rather smoke and drink over having food to eat. It just so happens, many of them are perpetually broke too.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎10 at 1:20 PM, RonMexico said:

Plenty of people that I know would rather smoke and drink over having food to eat. It just so happens, many of them are perpetually broke too.

Those people are called addicts, and it is a terrible thing to become. 

Edit to add:  They should still be able to vote, every citizen should be.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/politics/georgia-voter-lawsuit-brian-kemp/index.html

A coalition of advocacy groups has launched a lawsuit to block Georgia from enforcing a practice critics say endangers the votes of more than 50,000 people in November and potentially larger numbers headed into the 2020 presidential election cycle.

The Campaign Legal Center and Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law argued in the suit, which was filed in a federal district court on Thursday, that the state's "exact match" requirement violates the Voting Rights Act, the National Voter Registration Act and the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

The office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, who is now running for governor in a hotly contested race with Democratic former state House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams, used the system from 2013 to 2016 but stopped in 2017 as part of a settlement stemming from separate litigation. But the Republican-held state legislature soon stepped in and passed the protocol into law. A recent Associated Press report found around 53,000 people -- nearly 70% of them African-Americans -- had their registrations placed in limbo because of some kind of mismatch with drivers license or social security information. Kemp, in a tweet, said, "The 53,000 Georgians on our 'pending' list can vote in the Nov. 6th election."

Of course, we all know that these voters are just lazy bums who'd rather buy booze and cigarettes, amirite?:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/politics/georgia-voter-lawsuit-brian-kemp/index.html

Of course, we all know that these voters are just lazy bums who'd rather buy booze and cigarettes, amirite?:rolleyes:

And drugs... dont forget the drugs which they take and then join MS-13 on behalf of George Soros, the Clinton Foundation and the Obamas who lead

the global cabal in an effort to overthrow the president.

I just ask that everyone please stop bullying Melanie. 

Oh look....Georgia has found some more lazy bums, who just want to buy booze and cigarettes....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/politics/gwinnett-county-absentee-ballots/index.html

One suburban Georgia county has become a flashpoint for concerns over voter suppression for rejecting hundreds of mail-in absentee ballots weeks before Election Day.

Gwinnett County, located northeast of Atlanta, now faces two federal lawsuits and accusations from voting rights activists who say the rejections disproportionately affect minority voters, particularly Asian Americans and African Americans.
The county has rejected 595 absentee ballots, which account for more than a third of the total absentee-ballot rejections in the state, even though Gwinnett County accounts for only about 6% of absentee ballots submitted in Georgia, according to state data analyzed by CNN Friday. More than 300 of the rejected ballots belonged to African Americans and Asian Americans.
Officials tossed out the ballots due to missing birthdates, address discrepancies, signatures that do not match those on registration records and other issues, according to the data.

Nothing to see here folks...just some patriotic Georgians, making sure that George Soros can't pay "illegals" to vote Democrat six times....<_<

https://lawandcrime.com/civil-rights/gop-removes-sole-polling-place-from-famous-hispanic-majority-city-in-kansas/

Key point: removed the only polling station and moved it out of the town, well away from any bus stations. Town is one of the only Hispanic majority towns in state. Hispanics vote Democrat.

Everyone gets the picture.

I guess these folks should have "tried harder" to vote::rolleyes:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/10/17/17990110/georgia-senior-citizens-bus-removal-black-voters-matter-suppression

As early voting began Monday in Georgia, a group of black senior citizens gathered for a voter outreach event at Jefferson County’s Leisure Center. Members of Black Voters Matter, one of the groups behind the event, offered to drive the group of about 40 seniors to the polls.

But shortly after the seniors boarded the organization’s bus, county officials stopped the trip, prompting new accusations of voter suppression in a state already dealing with several such controversies.

The event, according to ThinkProgress’s Kira Lerner, was a part of Black Voters Matter’s “The South is Rising” bus tour across seven states to host voter outreach and engagement events. Black Voters Matter is nonpartisan, and the group’s leadership did not encourage the senior citizens to vote for a particular candidate or political party, according to LaTosha Brown, the organization’s co-founder.

Jefferson County Administrator Adam Brett countered that the Monday event constituted “political activity,” noting that a local Democratic Party chair helped sponsor it.

“This is voter suppression, Southern style,” Brown told ThinkProgress. According to recent Census figures, Jefferson County is 53 percent black, and voting rights advocates cite a lack of transportation as a particularly high barrier to voting for black Georgians. Civil rights groups most recently raised this point in August when a majority-black Georgia county proposed closing all but two of its polling places.

Honestly, this is such blatant voter suppression that it doesn't surprise me that the "try harder", "booze and cigarettes" crowd have crawled back under their rocks...

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess these folks should have "tried harder" to vote::rolleyes:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/10/17/17990110/georgia-senior-citizens-bus-removal-black-voters-matter-suppression

Honestly, this is such blatant voter suppression that it doesn't surprise me that the "try harder", "booze and cigarettes" crowd have crawled back under their rocks...

They push back on the first instance and the second instance and even the third instance.

Then the fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. instances come out and even they can't keep the wool over their eyes any longer. 

As I said earlier in this thread, there are a lot more Democrats than Republicans in the US. They have to suppress votes and gerrymander and game the system in order to win because they refuse to improve upon their policies. Between the garbage on fox news, conniving to stack the supreme court (and lesser courts), and preventing the populace from voting for who they want, the Republicans are making a mockery of democracy. 

I have to give it to them for the genius of it. They've got huge swaths of poor people completely convinced that giving up what little they have to rich folk is the right thing to do.

4 hours ago, Duodenum said:

4 hours ago, Duodenum said:

They've got huge swaths of poor people completely convinced that giving up what little they have to rich folk is the right thing to do.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Archived