The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers | Preseason Game #6 | 6:00pm | SN1

Roger Neilsons Towel

I think the people who dislike Gagner that much are the people who want all of the prospects to make the team. They don't understand balance on a roster or the benefits of experience.

Whenever I feel the Canucks are bad and it appears they're lacking, I think of what the Sens fans have to endure, and then I feel better.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the people who dislike Gagner that much are the people who want all of the prospects to make the team. They don't understand balance on a roster or the benefits of experience.

Whenever I feel the Canucks are bad and it appears they're lacking, I think of what the Sens fans have to endure, and then I feel better.

As much as i dont like Gagner, he has successfully defended his spot on the roster. Prospects need to bang down the door and force their way onto the roster but no one did... 

Gagner on the other hand has looked better than our prospects so it's hard to advocate for a prospect in that case. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

As much as i dont like Gagner, he has successfully defended his spot on the roster. Prospects need to bang down the door and force their way onto the roster but no one did... 

Gagner on the other hand has looked better than our prospects so it's hard to advocate for a prospect in that case. 

I think that's the worst part in all of this, none of our prospects have really stood out other than Pettersson.

2 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

I think that's the worst part in all of this, none of our prospects have really stood out other than Pettersson.

True...Motte has looked good,but there's no room for him on the team...None of the other prospects have taken the bull by the horns,and staked a claim in the lineup.

7 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

Thats true, but in saying that I think some young players have improved from last year, such as Hutton, Goldobin, Virtanen, Leipsic and even Gudy some what. They all look leaner and in better shape, hopefully that carries forward to all around better play.

20 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

Nothing wrong with prospects not being ready, everyone is perfectly on track. To expect more than what we have received from our prospects is unfair. 

Just now, dukeofcanuck said:

Sure but one would of hoped guys like Juolevi or Dahlen would be knocking on the door by now.

It's wishful thinking. It was common knowledge that they'd spend most the year in Utica, nothing to be upset with here. Juolevi had a slow off season due to surgery and dahlen needs to adjust to NA and they both need to get a bit stronger. Nothing wrong with that, having all these veterans (good and bad) allows us the flexibility to be patient and not rush kids who arent ready. 

5 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

Sure but one would of hoped guys like Juolevi or Dahlen would be knocking on the door by now.

'By now'?

It's not like they're Goldobin/Leipsic aged. It's ok for kids to develop in due course. The vast majority of players don't make the NHL at 18/19 and most that do are ~top 5 picks.

54 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Didn't Sam score last game?

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

On what planet is a shade over $3m, for a whopping (:rolleyes:) 3 years, 'overpaying' for a +/- 40 point veteran player who can play all 3 positions, up and down your lineup? Particularly on a rebuilding club with very little leverage.

If you guys are saying that Gagner is not so bad, then we are in agreement. Obviously he makes the 23 man roster this season and he is decent player. I still don't like the strategy of bringing guys like that in given the stage the Canucks were (and are) at, and I don't think there would be any takers for his contract in the trade market, but he is still a legitimate NHL player and he seems like a decent guy.

10 minutes ago, cyoung said:

It's wishful thinking. It was common knowledge that they'd spend most the year in Utica, nothing to be upset with here. Juolevi had a slow off season due to surgery and dahlen needs to adjust to NA and they both need to get a bit stronger. Nothing wrong with that, having all these veterans (good and bad) allows us the flexibility to be patient and not rush kids who arent ready. 

Time will tell I suppose, hopefully they do well in Utica.

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

If you guys are saying that Gagner is not so bad, then we are in agreement. Obviously he makes the 23 man roster this season and he is decent player. I still don't like the strategy of bringing guys like that in given the stage the Canucks were (and are) at, and I don't think there would be any takers for his contract in the trade market, but he is still a legitimate NHL player and he seems like a decent guy.

He is what he is. A 'decent', versatile, trustworthy (and expendable when deemed so) vet on a basically meaningless/inconsequential contract.

How that get's painted as a 'bad' contract is beyond me.

He was signed at the 'stage' where Henrik was possibly retiring, Pettersson was likely 2-3 years away (not 1), Gaudette still had major question marks on his projection, we had yet to trade for Leipsic etc, etc. It was perfectly reasonable 'insurance' move to ensure we could actually ice an NHL team of 'not-Megna's'.

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Gagner is a stop gap player who could very well be traded this season to another team. I've railed on him in the past for some of his gaffes, but he's a decent hockey player. A veteran that is holding a spot until Green sees one of the kids ready to take the spot.

I've battled with the idea of signing free agents during a time where the spots should be kept open for younger players. After some careful consideration, it does make sense not to rush prospects in, if the coach doesn't feel that their ready. Sometimes there's nothing worse for a young player than being put in a position that they aren't quite ready for, and feeling way out of their element. I would think that overloading the roster with youth could backfire if the team blows this year. Edmonton tried the method and it didn't work. It bred an air of apathy on the team and the stench still seems to linger there.

Might be best to avoid that by using a more methodical approach.  

Archived