The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your advice for dating?

Master 112

I'm looking to get into the game- I haven't been super interested in relationships before now but have become increasingly lonely over the past few years and am particularly scared of dying without having had some companionship beyond random sexual encounters.

I'll leave the question open and general so that everyone has the opportunity to share their insights and experiences and to touch on whatever they may want to.

try it.

don't be a jerk if someone's not into you.

girls are just as weird as guys. 

there's a fit for you out there. 

I'll just add one more thing  - just be who you are and don't put so much pressure on yourself, if a relationship works its very easy right away, if its hard and feels off then it probably isn't right for you. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

try it.

don't be a jerk if someone's not into you.

girls are just as weird as guys. 

there's a fit for you out there. 

this. just roll with it and don't be a dick. there's no real secret. if being yourself isn't good enough, then there's something you need to change about yourself and thats just the way it is, and that stuff you have to find out on your own

The little things matter. Don't think that material items make up for time lost. If the person cares for you they will just want your time, not your money. Pay attention to them and don't be mean. We're all people, we all have bad days.

Just go with it, be yourself, don't try and be what you aren't because they will either see thru you now or in the future.  Theres people out there, don't get materialistic or go for "looks".  Talk to friends, see if they know someone that they feel would work with your personality that they know and could try and set you up with.  Most of the time that seems to be the easiest way unless you want to do the shot in the dark online dating thing (I know people who have met on there).  

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I'm looking to get into the game- I haven't been super interested in relationships before now but have become increasingly lonely over the past few years and am particularly scared of dying without having had some companionship beyond random sexual encounters.

I'll leave the question open and general so that everyone has the opportunity to share their insights and experiences and to touch on whatever they may want to.

giphy.gif

If you manage to snag a young woman on your hook and you really like her, do not come off as being needy.

In my experience, women prefer a man who seems like he could take or leave her either way. Also, if things are going well, do not be too eager to sleep with her too quickly. A woman will think you're a better man if you can resist her sexually for a healthy amount of time. Not only that - but in this day and age of #MeToo, you'll want to be cautious of who you have intercourse with so as to avoid a false sexual assault allegation against you.

My advice is to tread lightly with any prospective new ladies. Show them a good time, show them respect, give the new relationship time to grow, and when the time comes for things to get romantic - no matter what she tells you about birth control - use protection.

Look for the type of vibe where you want to be with each other, not feel a need to be with each other.

My best relationships have all been ones with very little codependency, including my most recent. Having someone want to be around you while knowing they have other things they care about in life takes a ton of pressure off and let's you enjoy each other more. Don't let the relationship become your life. That is not healthy. Maintain your hobbies and interests, make sure they have theirs too. Don't be afraid of space from one another when you need it. Take it slow.

Don't be yourself. Being yourself ended you up where you are now, lonely. Go on as many dates as you possibly can and have fun. Tell lies, tell the truth, just get experience talking to women. Just don't be needy and available all the time. One last thing, I know men love to ask women for advice but this is a terrible thing to do. Many women have no idea what they want or think they know what they want but date the opposite. Regardless, they will give you vanilla advice that is just more well wishing than anything.

Archived