The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your advice for dating?

Master 112

If you actually like the girl (or guy, since you haven't specified), act like you are already married.

By this I do not mean tell her you are married and wear a fake ring, I mean act interested but hesitant in that you have other options.  The key I think (like Rim Jobson said above) is don't act needy.  I always performed best with women when I was interested in someone else or in a relationship already.  There is an aura of confidence about you when you could take or leave a woman.  Women appear to have a keen sense of desperation that, if detected, acts as a repellent.

I’m not usually one to give relationship advice but I will say this. If you have a shot at someone you like, just take it. I really liked this one girl in my history class a few years ago and we got pretty close, but I blew my chance to ask her out and I’ve only seen her once since. I’ve blown far too many chances for my liking and I don’t want to see anyone else go through the same. 

Hey, I'm no expert ... take from this whatever resonates with you.

- Learn to smile often and be open to conversation.

- Make someone's day

- Be honest and upfront with a person in what you're looking in a relationship.

- Be honest and upfront about who you are - your strengths, weaknesses, values, struggles, etc. For example ... if you're excellent at organization, productivity, and communication but you struggle with managing money, utilizing technology, and ... god forbid ... setting the PVR on time ... don't lie and pretend that you're good at those things.

- Be honest and upfront with what you want in a relationship. You don't have to settle.

- Learn how to communicate and also (more importantly) learn how to listen

- Laugh and have fun

- Take expectations and timelines of the future off the table. Let things happen when and if they're supposed to happen.

- Be attentive to the other person's likes and needs. Make them feel good. Surprise them.

- If you really like someone, let them know

- Don't play games

- Be honest with yourself and the reasons why you want a relationship. If you're looking for someone else to fill an unresolved void in yourself ... only you can fill that void. Concentrate on personal development and resolving key internal issues. The less baggage you carry into a relationship the better. The person you enter into a relationship with should be a bonus to who you are, not a necessity for survival.

- Be patient, not desperate

I can't tell if you have dated much or not, but if you haven't just get out there and don't settle. Date as much people as you can, figure out what it is you like in a partner and what it is you don't. You are also going to realize how relationships change you and many people say that is bad, i don't feel that way. There are relationships I've been in that have taught me a lot about myself - how I deal with conflict, have put me in situations i feel uncomfortable in, what I'm willing to compromise on and what I'm not. Be attentive and ask questions remember the little things - but don't be over bearing. As someone said earlier have your own friends, your own life, your own job and your own hobbies. i think open and honest communication from the beginning is important - this way there aren't any false expectations - if you are just dating for the fun of it be honest, if you are dating to "court someone" be honest. But most importantly be yourself and don't change that for anyone - because at one point or another you won't be able to carry on the charade and the person is going to see who you truly are and that change in behaviour would suck so much more. 

PS. Be ready for A LOT of rejection, sometimes people suck.......

UPDATE: I made a Tinder profile and am looking for feedback.

About Me: 

I'm a complete narcissist with an ugly personality and nothing of value to offer those with whom I match.

The appeal of Tinder to me is that it provides a platform through which I can make crude jokes and lazy puns to go unacknowleged by the recipient, and it also permits me to issue intentionally $&!#ty pick-up lines to anyone desperate enough to swipe right on and engage me--without real-life consequences.

I once predicted the end of the world. That prediction has not yet been proven wrong.

-

I was going to make it longer, but there's a 500 character limit, which I'm 1 below. :( Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

start out with lunch. I usually order egg salad sandwiches and try to dominate the conversation, chewing and talking loudly at the same time as much as I can.

man that started out so well :lol: 

activity dates are good 1st dates too. 

32 minutes ago, 112 said:

UPDATE: I made a Tinder profile and am looking for feedback.

About Me: 

I'm a complete narcissist with an ugly personality and nothing of value to offer those with whom I match.

The appeal of Tinder to me is that it provides a platform through which I can make crude jokes and lazy puns to go unacknowleged by the recipient, and it also permits me to issue intentionally $&!#ty pick-up lines to anyone desperate enough to swipe right on and engage me--without real-life consequences.

I once predicted the end of the world. That prediction has not yet been proven wrong.

-

I was going to make it longer, but there's a 500 character limit, which I'm 1 below. :( Thoughts?

you may want to add something, maybe "likes dogs and walks on the beach"? 

Buy a truck. Jack it up real high, high enough you can just drive over other vehicles instead of having to pass them. 

Crank the music, make sure the latest "Lil" rapper is blaring so loud the ground shakes. 

Wear your freshest tap out or Ed Hardy shirt. 

Now, this is important. You have to use a whole bottle of axe spray. Not a quarter, not a half, full. If they can't smell you from the next town, you have no shot.

Now you're ready. Pull up onto West Georgia, park half on the side walk half next to a fire hydrant (this is how you show girls you can afford tickets and towing fees). 

Walk into the Shark Club next to the Moxies. Order a rockstar vodka cooler, pour it in a class and creepily stare at the moms trying to re-live their youth, or the overly tanned and pierced 20 something year olds trying to find "direction" in life. 

Badda bing badda boom, you leave with your "shorty" and go get tested at the clinic the following morning. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Buy a truck. Jack it up real high, high enough you can just drive over other vehicles instead of having to pass them. 

Crank the music, make sure the latest "Lil" rapper is blaring so loud the ground shakes. 

Wear your freshest tap out or Ed Hardy shirt. 

Now, this is important. You have to use a whole bottle of axe spray. Not a quarter, not a half, full. If they can't smell you from the next town, you have no shot.

Now you're ready. Pull up onto West Georgia, park half on the side walk half next to a fire hydrant (this is how you show girls you can afford tickets and towing fees). 

Walk into the Shark Club next to the Moxies. Order a rockstar vodka cooler, pour it in a class and creepily stare at the moms trying to re-live their youth, or the overly tanned and pierced 20 something year olds trying to find "direction" in life. 

Badda bing badda boom, you leave with your "shorty" and go get tested at the clinic the following morning. 

You have mastered life itself. Respect.

Archived