The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

Just now, mpt said:

I completely disagree with your 2nd last paragraph.  If his nomination is withdrawn and he is innocent, then you can make allegations about anyone if you want to change a political outcome.  If he’s innocent he should be sworn in, if he is guilty he shouldn’t.  You can’t punish someone for doing nothing wrong if nothing wrong was done.

Yeah after all trump needs other sexual predators to hang out with.

Birds of a feather will hang together.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OneSeventeen said:

Hi guys,

I watched the Kavanaugh hearings from beginning to end. I just wanted to share my thoughts and feelings, and of course read to all of yours.

First, the politics and political tactics on both sides has done Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford, Brett Kavanaugh and their families a great disservice. Second, the Republicans showed such political cowardice by deferring their questioning of Dr. Blasey-Ford to Rachel Mitchell. It’s disgraceful that they then chose to ask Kavanaugh questions themselves.

I found Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford to be credible. The emotion in her voice during her testimony was evident. I cannot imagine why a well-educated professional woman would come forward and subject her life and that of her family to the extreme vitriol and violent threats that comes with stepping forward into the ring of American politics.

I found the following to be the most compelling pieces of evidence and parts of her testimony:

1. She first revealed her experience of sexual assault years prior to Trump winning the presidency and Kavanaugh being nominated to the Supreme Court to her husband, marriage counselor and personal therapist.
  2. This precipitated because her husband could not understand why she wanted a second front door installed when they were remodeling their home.
  3. Dr. Blasey-Ford contacted her House representative when she saw that Kavanaugh’s name was on Trump’s shortlist as a nominee not after Kavanaugh’s name was announced as the official nominee.
  4. She freely admits that she cannot recall certain details about that night and welcomes and FBI investigation in order to gain a clearer understanding of it.
  5. The most emotionally devastating part for me was when she recounted how Kavanaugh and Judge laughed, and how she felt like she might be killed that night.

Dr. Blasey-Ford would have had to have been some sort of master political Svengali in order to have set this whole thing up years ago. If she were, what is her motive and what is she looking to gain? Would such a gain even be worth all that she has lost? (Moving out of her home, hiring private security, threats to her and her family’s life).

I want to be fair to Brett Kavanaugh. I feel like the emotion he showed today was genuine. I believe that he believes that he did not sexually assault Dr. Blasey-Ford. He’s in a difficult position because he really has no choice but to deny the allegations. I think his high school year book makes it pretty clear that he’s wasn’t the best guy back then to say the least. I do not believe him when he said that boofing was a term used for flatulence. I do not believe him when he said that the term Renate Alumnus was used by him and his friends in an unsexual way to show friendly appreciation for one of their good friends. But at the same time, I do not think his high school year book is enough to credible say that he sexually assaulted someone.

I can confidently say that believe Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court should be withdrawn. Regardless of whether Kavanaugh committed sexual assault or not, there are other equally qualified people who can serve on the Court that are not tainted by scandalous allegations to their credibility and character. The integrity of the Supreme Court must be maintained. If I were in Kavanaugh’s position I would withdraw my nomination and cite patriotism and the importance of a democratic society having a justice system it can trust.

Finally, I want to say how much extra pride and comfort I take in being Canadian today. Our country has deep faults. The Harper and Trudeau governments have been lacking in so many areas. But I truly believe that our society and our government institutions are not devoid of decency and humanity. I don’t think this is an automatic or default setting in our country. I believe our commitment to affordable healthcare and education and other social services makes this a reality because it gives people the opportunity to be their best selves.

Regarding your last paragraph I feel the same about both Canada and Australia.

We have our faults however compared to the US we are paragons of virtue.

I feel for people like Sabre, rational,reasonable and logical people who have to live with the crap that is going down in their country.

18 minutes ago, mpt said:

I completely disagree with your 2nd last paragraph.  If his nomination is withdrawn and he is innocent, then you can make allegations about anyone if you want to change a political outcome.  If he’s innocent he should be sworn in, if he is guilty he shouldn’t.  You can’t punish someone for doing nothing wrong if nothing wrong was done.

though i agree with your point in response to that paragraph..

it really does not apply to what we saw today

i think there are serious concerns raised in the testimony before the senate

which warrants the spending of some additional time and resources

before requiring a vote on the suitability of this nominee

the deadline being proposed is entirely artificial

and is being imposed for political purposes

and not to ensure that this nominee is truly acceptable

the present deadline makes this whole process feel like it is being railroaded

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I have the complete opposite take. I found Judge Kavanaugh's testimony and emotion to be more raw and powerful than her's. By no means do I want to discredit Dr. Ford's testimony, and I admire her bravery to go before that clown show committee, but ultimately, both of their testimonies I thought neutralled each other out, and it still comes down to which side do you believe more.

The biggest thing that I learned in today's testimonies was that Senator Feinstein was contacted by Dr. Ford in late July shortly after the nomination, then had recommended lawyers for her in August, AFTER having already met and interviewed Kavanaugh. Yet she did not bring this information up until 1 week ago. If any of that is true, then that is truly disgraceful and despicable, because it shows that herself and the Democrats don't really care about Dr. Ford and wanted to use her a political chess piece. And I think that move is going to cost them. I was able to watch about 80% of the hearings, and by the end of it, 2 Republican Anti-Trump Senators, Ben Sasse and Jeff Flake, were not only pissed off at Feinstein and the Democrats, but vocalized them during their time to speak. 

My prediction: Kavanaugh gets confirmed and the Democrats once again do what they do best...shoot themselves in the foot.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

though i agree with your point in response to that paragraph..

it really does not apply to what we saw today

i think there are serious concerns raised in the testimony before the senate

which warrants the spending of some additional time and resources

before requiring a vote on the suitability of this nominee

the deadline being proposed is entirely artificial

and is being imposed for political purposes

and not to ensure that this nominee is truly acceptable

the present deadline makes this whole process feel like it is being railroaded

The whole case is for political purposes

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, mpt said:

The whole case is for political purposes

that really does not matter

given what was presented today

there are real concerns raised

now there is a need to remove some of the politics

and see where the real facts lay

with some proper investigation facts can be refuted

or corroborated

a life time appointment to such a significant office

requires a tad more diligence in the vetting process

after what occurred today

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Exactly. These ultra far-left liberal women are stepping forward 40 years after the fact. Give me a break. I could not care less about the issues on either side, but as an outside observer, I can't get behind the stories. 

How do you feel about the people coming forward about priests? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, mpt said:

Would be funny if sometime you get charged with slander.

Yes because a poster in a hockey forum deserves and needs to be held to a higher standard for slander and liable than say

A media personality at Fox?

The president of a country?

• Like 3