The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Assault is defined....not by women, by law.

And times are a'changing.  There was once a time where, in order to get ahead, some had to comply.   Were pressed by execs who used their positions for personal gain.

Women were looked at in a dark light when they came forward.  What were they wearing?  What did THEY do to encourage it?  Etc.  Seems that's still prevalent today. Witchhunts and demonization.

This isn't about the act of rape...it's about the lack of respect for another human being.  It's about demoralizing behavior and mob mentality.  And crossing lines of personal space and violating someone's body against their will.  I'd say covering a mouth lends way to that?

Now sure, when we're young a lot of us misbehave and "fun" sometimes crosses lines.  But never should it violate another human being.

We're not talking about criminal prosecution here...but, rather, whether or not this is the ideal candidate for the job.  And my guess is no.  Innocent until proven guilty, sure.  But that applies to the female, too.

By the way, she was in therapy for this earlier on. That would support her "story". 

Often women are confused.  Ashamed.  Feel bullied and isolated.

It's time that changes......

But the first step in that is understanding there may not be eye witness testimony.  If I kick you in the groin, doesn't mean it didn't happen if no one saw it. That's the thing...it all is weighed out.  Not discarded because.  That's what needed to happen here, in a proper procedure.  Not something rushed to push this guy through.

I am very aware of the fact that  the door is open for exploitation and that false stories to fit agendas will be part of it.  But not many women I know would subject themselves to this kind of scrutiny, that will follow them for life, if it isn't true.  Innocent until PROVEN guilty means there's a process by which to determine that.  I don't feel this process was properly or thoroughly conducted.  It was a fast food drive through deal.

Your post sounds rather angry , defiant and defensive and has stereotyped with an us against them (feminists) deal.  I'm not a feminist and it isn't cut and dry.  You don't believe her but you do him.  Based on ? 

I appreciate your taking the time to reply so in depth to my comment from a week and a half ago; but one thing I've learned in all my years is that it is very difficult to change the mind of someone who's already made their's up. Therefore I'll respond only to the last part of your comment.

Yes, my post sounded angry because this debate struck a nerve for me. I do not appreciate a witch-hunt, for which an accusation with no viable evidence essentially is; especially this type of accusation which in the case of Kavanaugh v. Ford  should've been brought to light well under three and a half decades ago - if it were true.

If you or anyone close to you has ever been the victim of a false accusation like this, then you might understand my skepticism when it comes to a story like this. I'm afraid I've been jaded to the point of needing serious hardcore evidence delivered freshly before I'll give the benefit of the doubt to a supposed victim. Not that my opinion matters in such instances, but an accuser's "word" just isn't enough for me. Not when if an accuser is shown to be fabricating a story, or even outright lying - they get to waltz away scot-free without a care in the world whilst whom they've falsely accused could've had their whole world blown to pieces because of it.

Sorry, but to me the liars have ruined justice for the actual victims and for the people they accuse. It's sad but nobody should be believed without concrete evidence.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rim Jobson said:

If you or anyone close to you has ever been the victim of a false accusation like this, then you might understand my skepticism when it comes to a story like this. I'm afraid I've been jaded to the point of needing serious hardcore evidence delivered freshly before I'll give the benefit of the doubt to a supposed victim. Not that my opinion matters in such instances, but an accuser's "word" just isn't enough for me. Not when if an accuser is shown to be fabricating a story, or even outright lying - they get to waltz away scot-free without a care in the world whilst whom they've falsely accused could've had their whole world blown to pieces because of it.

Sorry, but to me the liars have ruined justice for the actual victims and for the people they accuse. It's sad but nobody should be believed without concrete evidence.

I hope no one close to you ever is the victim of this kind of thing.  How would you react if your sister, daughter, wife confided in you?

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I hope no one close to you ever is the victim of this kind of thing.  How would you react if your sister, daughter, wife confided in you?

KH, it goes both ways.   I have seen a few players basically having their lives destroyed (career for one, family life for another and so forth) for proven to be false claims and also have one family member and one close friend who were victims of coerced activities against their will and justice was far from served in those two situations.  I would not say that either "situation" is better or worse than the other and I wouldn't with either on anyone.  The common factor in each and every one of the situations was that everyone who was aware had an opinion, and seemingly an opinion rooted in some "knowledge" that they really could not have possessed, but very very few had the actual facts.    

In spite of what we all think we "know" on this one, all I see is the debate falling along political allegiance lines which, in itself, is a sad statement of our times.   

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Thank you, I hope so too.

If a female member of my inner circle confided in me such an atrocity, I would be inclined to take their word for it as they would most likely have no reason to lie to me about such a thing. However there are cases where a lie seems to be a way to go. Regret after the fact, revenge, extortion, etc.. It happens.

There was a story several years ago here in the town that I live about a young woman who claimed she was raped by an acquaintance of hers. She told her older brother about it. He went to the home of the alleged rapist and bludgeoned him to death with a baseball bat. Later, the young woman confessed to lying about the whole story. Her brother ended up in prison and an innocent young man was dead. Violently murdered. For no good reason. I have no idea why this transpired as it did, but it did, and I find it quite scary.

This is what can happen when a word is believed without question.

Many years ago I was the victim of a similar false accusation. It's why my view on this debate is colored more than most others on here. I dont wish to go into great detail but fortunately for me, that case didn't go beyond the local police station's "interview"(interrogation) room. I was a much younger man then, this was well before #MeToo was even dreamt of, and despite the interrogating cop's best attempt to make me hang myself (figuratively speaking), I gave him nothing that he could use against me. I was innocent and afraid, to the point where I went through the embarrassment of telling my parents the whole story beforehand. My father being the smart man he was, coached me through the interrogation despite the cop's protests, but that cop just wanted someone to burn regardless of actual justice, and that someone was me, over a false accusation by a young woman who was later revealed to have a boyfriend. I have to assume she regretted what happened between us over the course of 1 evening so the only "viable" option other than keeping it to herself, was to say she was raped. That was possibly the scariest period of time in my entire life. I was on the verge of losing almost everything - my job, my home, my freedom, my son (who I fear for greatly in this day and age), and I suppose I'd become a registered sex offender as well. Over what?

So since then my faith in "law enforcement" has wavered drastically; and I have difficulty accepting someone's word in a situation like this - especially someone I dont know, who may have something to gain/not to lose - without solid evidence.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, xereau said:

Not sure why I have to google for you...

https://epic.org/2018/08/kavanaugh-white-house-counsel-.html

https://mises.org/power-market/judge-napolitano-kavanaugh-enemy-4th-amendment

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/privacy-group-seeks-last-minute-brett-kavanaugh-delay-citing-extraordinary-new-disclosure

He was right in the thick of it.  And defended it.  And defends it.  And likes torture too.  The dude is a dbag and the people fell for the ruse hook line and sinker.  A real neoconjob has taken place here.

About 4 days ago, Trump was asked in a press conference about Kavanaugh, and I quote, "I hadn't even heard of the guy until a few months ago." LOL

Its disgusting how far removed from politics and the amount of Liberty the people have given away for nothing.

I did find those links that you posted, I meant more legitimate sources.

Also epic.org states that Kavanaugh assisted in patriot act, to claim that he was one of the chief architects is not true.

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I did find those links that you posted, I meant more legitimate sources.

Also epic.org states that Kavanaugh assisted in patriot act, to claim that he was one of the chief architects is not true.

Like CNN?  Mises and FEE are about as legit sources as you can get.  All referenced articles, and Liberty oriented.  Andrew Napolitano is the one that used the term "chief architect" btw, another source that I trust.  One of Ron Paul's best friends.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

These tattoos were originally designed to denote a love of fashion, but apparently, the demand has gone way up and the meaning has changed dramatically, since Kavanagh's confirmation:

Image result for coat hanger tattoo

Oh really, I never knew that was its original meaning.

First time I saw it was on Eddie Vedder's T-shirt in the early 90's. He was wearing as a pro-choice statement even back then.

• 11 months later...

Guess who's in the news again...

Male Classmate Tells NYT About Brand New Sexual Misconduct Allegation Against Brett Kavanaugh

In a shocking exposé and analysis released late Saturday by the New York Times, one of Kavanaugh’s male classmates at Yale relayed a story in which the eventual judge made apparently unwanted sexual contact with yet another female student during his time there.

Per that report:

We also uncovered a previously unreported story about Mr. Kavanaugh in his freshman year that echoes Ms. Ramirez’s allegation. A classmate, Max Stier, saw Mr. Kavanaugh with his pants down at a different drunken dorm party, where friends pushed his penis into the hand of a female student. Mr. Stier, who runs a nonprofit organization in Washington, notified senators and the F.B.I. about this account, but the F.B.I. did not investigate and Mr. Stier has declined to discuss it publicly. (We corroborated the story with two officials who have communicated with Mr. Stier.)

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/male-student-tells-nyt-about-brand-new-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-brett-kavanaugh/

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Guess who's in the news again...

Male Classmate Tells NYT About Brand New Sexual Misconduct Allegation Against Brett Kavanaugh

In a shocking exposé and analysis released late Saturday by the New York Times, one of Kavanaugh’s male classmates at Yale relayed a story in which the eventual judge made apparently unwanted sexual contact with yet another female student during his time there.

Per that report:

We also uncovered a previously unreported story about Mr. Kavanaugh in his freshman year that echoes Ms. Ramirez’s allegation. A classmate, Max Stier, saw Mr. Kavanaugh with his pants down at a different drunken dorm party, where friends pushed his penis into the hand of a female student. Mr. Stier, who runs a nonprofit organization in Washington, notified senators and the F.B.I. about this account, but the F.B.I. did not investigate and Mr. Stier has declined to discuss it publicly. (We corroborated the story with two officials who have communicated with Mr. Stier.)

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/male-student-tells-nyt-about-brand-new-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-brett-kavanaugh/

dorm party during his freshman year...nothing to see here. that's why it wasn't reported and why stier's still declines to comment on it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

dorm party during his freshman year...nothing to see here. that's why it wasn't reported and why stier's still declines to comment on it. 

Girls going to dorm parties, and getting drunk with a bunch of extremely horny guys.  Ya, I’m betting dollars to doughnuts there will be lots of unwanted sexual advances.  

34 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

Dorm party or not, you're missing the point and one of the biggest issues regarding things like this, drunk or not forcing something on someone to do is never acceptable, hopefully you figure that out one day.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Dorm party or not, you're missing the point and one of the biggest issues regarding things like this, drunk or not forcing something on someone to do is never acceptable, hopefully you figure that out one day.

of course I have, I'm 62 now. but we all did things in our youth...peer pressure...coming of age...whatever it happens and shouldn't be held over our heads for the rest of our lives

People are totally missing the point here. The real question is not his conduct all those years ago. The point is he was asked if it was true during his confirmation hearing and he denied it point blank.

If there are now many people confirming it's true then he lied under oath during the hearing and should be removed from the bench no questions asked.

The FBI are a complete bunch of frack ups for failing to investigate a single person of the 25 names who were provided as potential witnesses. What a mess.  

• Cheers 4

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

People are totally missing the point here. The real question is not his conduct all those years ago. The point is he was asked if it was true during his confirmation hearing and he denied it point blank.

If there are now many people confirming it's true then he lied under oath during the hearing and should be removed from the bench no questions asked.

The FBI are a complete bunch of frack ups for failing to investigate a single person of the 25 names who were provided as potential witnesses. What a mess.  

This.

You can sit and excuse a boys will be boys behavior and out yourself in the process as willing to accept those things as "coming of age"

But the fact is, as a grown man and professional he potentially lied under oath to a congressional committee the SCOTUS and the American people.

• Thanks 1