- Thiessen

- Friesen

- Neufeld

- Loewen

- Doerksen

- Toews

- Gerbrandt

- Klassen

That feel when you know people from there with most of those last names. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nail said:

Teams must always have 2 goalies on their NHL roster so I've left Lyon on your NHL team for now.

I thought so actually after I posted it occurred to me. ; ) 

all good, we will keep him up for now while we work to resolve the situation. (*seeking a low rent backup for those whose cups overfloweth)

12 hours ago, Monty said:

Ukko-Pekka

That is all.

Swoon!!!  I was laughing really well as the last 90 seconds wore off the clock, then I felt just a tick less pride than I would have felt had Canada won....the first game Finland won at the Victoria Venue when they played the anthem at the end of the game I was very verklempt. lol....last night was awesome to hear it again as the boys sang along. My grandfather died before I was born, but I have his medals from the First World War/Finish war of independence/Finish Civil war..and i have a few tintype photos of him as a teenage war hero with General (and briefly King of Finland) Mannerheim. (*and yes all three of those wars happened pretty much at the same time) Granddad was one of the 100 thousannd Finns who used overwhelming swarming defence to stymie a million russians using ski's and single shot rifles (which birthed the modern winter biathlon by the way). So the great victories against Team Canada and Team USA were pretty much right in character. 

:lol::lol::towel:

anyways..i do go on....super stoked with the Finn Win and my word what a netminder that young man is! Hans on hyva poika! 

Edited by Primal Optimist

Carolina Hurricanes - Back into the Fold

As always, the Hurricanes are looking to bolster things. Majority of prospects, including the following, are available to add major playoff assets. Once February rolls around, I won't be available for the most part, so the sooner the better:

- Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

- Shane Bowers

- Jay O'Brien

- Adin Hill

- Nikolai Kovalenko

Mikko Koskinen could be traded as well. The idea has been to extend him, which will happen once the season is over if he isn't moved.

Reports from Vancouver that a rather expensive deal was secured to shore up netminding down the stretch. Film at 11. 

EDIT: We have reason to believe the deal will bring in an excellent goaltender, and in time to play tonight! Go Nucks!

Edited by Primal Optimist

7 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

Reports from Vancouver that a rather expensive deal was secured to shore up netminding down the stretch. Film at 11. 

EDIT: We have reason to believe the deal will bring in an excellent goaltender, and in time to play tonight! Go Nucks!

Is Monty giggling somewhere; as he's rescued from having guys that will demand trades?

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is Monty giggling somewhere; as he's rescued from having guys that will demand trades?

Would you believe me if I told you that I haven’t had one offer or inquiry on my goaltenders?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

We have a trade...

To VAN: Jake Allen

To BUF: 2019 VAN 2nd + 2020 VAN 5th + Joe Veleno + Alex Lyon + Corey Crawford

@Nail

Did I mention this was an expensive move? We had to think long and hard about moving out a 2nd round pick, as our scouting team has a knack for finding 20th to 80th overall draft picks of great calibre, one of which is the other tough to move piece of this deal, Joe Veleno. 

Joe entered the QMJHL at the age of 15, the first kid to do so in the Q's CHL history. His "Exceptional Status" has been debated by prospect aficionados ever since. I got to see him three times recently in the warmups leading to the WJC20's in Victoria and Vancouver this past holiday season and I can tell you I am sold on his exceptional ability, he is a player who can close gaps in Planck Time, haha, or create his own room on the ice when he has the puck just as fast. His 2 assists do not testify well to his presence on the ice in every game situation, making it very hard to consider moving him, but in the end we absolutely require dependable professional, top flight talent in the paint and well, among his peers in the WOrld Juniors Veleno didn't actually stand out once the rubber hit the road. He will almost certainly be a strong two way 2nd/3rd line center for a decade in the NHL and such is the price of good goaltending.  

We were thrilled when we acquired Corey Crawford and Alex Lyon back in February, shortly after Corey's first concussion. A pedigree star netminder with Cups to his credit. Unfortunately though, injuries and time have worn him down and this most recent injury coupled with our place in the standings made it paramount that we go out and find a bonafide starter who can anchor out squad for years to come while providing points to push us to the playoffs this very season. With 6 wins in 23 appearances this year and out with an injury for what may be the rest of the season, we hope and wish Corey all the best in the future, and a swift return to pro hockey, likely as a starter once again in another season. Alex Lyon has always been high in my esteem and I believe he has a bright future still ahead, but with the NHL Philly Flyers aimed strait at a high draft pick as their only goal of this season, Alex looks to be a superb AHL netminder or trade bait in real life with a likely big year ahead next season. 

All in all, we love the three guys leaving our organization in this deal, and wish them all the best going forward, and we will surely miss our 2nd overall pick this summer, that being said: Jake Allen! A decade ago he won gold at the under 18's, and silver at the World Juniors, with a stellar career so far in the majors. Cool as a cucumber in three St Louis playoff runs in 14'15, 15'16, and 16'17. What shines through for us is that even on the worst St Louis team in years, this starter still has a winning record in net at 14 wins, 13 losses and 4 otl's. My scouting has had an eye him for years and this was the first chance we had to bring him in and we know we paid a heavy price, which is why I am taking the time to explain my rational to my fellow GM's. We had a need, and an opportunity and we feel lucky. Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity of course. Paying more than we should have at this time really is about the future while shoring up the present. We believe in Jake Allen today, tomorrow and well into the future. Welcome aboard the Vancouver Canucks.

Lastly, I would like to thank Buffalo's donut47 for a tough, but very fun negotiation. This one took some time to work out and I was pleasantly surprised to find stiff competition in a fellow GM. I have no doubt Buffalo "won" this trade in many ways, but the specific needs of revamping our netminding have now been accomplished without a tank year and we look well poised to go into the playoffs this year and excel in them in the future. 

Thank you all, donut47 and the executive group for making this happen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1