The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tom Wilson suspended 20 games

The NHL is like a brotherhood they shouldnt have a former player as head of player safety. Some of his former teamates and good friends could be gms and coaches and even still play the game. I remember when Burrows got suspended in 2014 by  Stephane Quintal. Not even a week later a former teamate does the same thing burrows did but worse and gets nothing!!

3 minutes ago, Jtutino said:

The NHL is like a brotherhood they shouldnt have a former player as head of player safety. Some of his former teamates and good friends could be gms and coaches and even still play the game. I remember when Burrows got suspended in 2014 by  Stephane Quintal. Not even a week later a former teamate does the same thing burrows did but worse and gets nothing!!

The NHL is all about the incestual nepotism.

55 minutes ago, DarkestThought said:

I'm going to miss the days when hockey had edge to it, the hit seemed fine with me, he was gliding and went for a standard hit, he was open and it wasn't very late, just the fact he looked like he was headhunting and came from a distance.. whatever.

You can have tough, hard nosed hockey without bonehead hits like that. No need for that level of hit. 

24 minutes ago, Fateless said:

To be honest, I didn't even think the hit was suspendable. Especially with its comparative hit being Nazem Kadri on Daniel Sedin. Really surprised at 20 games, figured he'd get between 2 and 5.

I think this is my issue with the NHL 0 consistency when it comes to these kind of hits. Kadri should have gotten 5 for his predatory hit to Daniel but that didn't happen. I thought Wilson would get 5 to 10 but 20 WOW!

Per their video Sundqvist was allowed to be checked and should have expected it. Their issue is that Wilson delivered a hit to the head instead of a check through the body.  He had time to control his hit and simply didn't.   

30 minutes ago, Fateless said:

To be honest, I didn't even think the hit was suspendable. Especially with its comparative hit being Nazem Kadri on Daniel Sedin. Really surprised at 20 games, figured he'd get between 2 and 5.

The man has been suspended 4 times within 105 games played, sometime he has to learn. That's the only reason he's been thrown the book. 

League making a statement to get rid of these types of hits. Because of the way Wilson plays and who he is as a player, league had to send a message somehow. Clearly, the Torres suspensions didn't make any difference. Also, league probably wants to change the way Wilson approaches the game and the way he approaches hits. 

Not sure how there's people saying it's to much, 4 suspensions in 105 games...

And to people saying they need to do this for every hit like this, no they don't. They need to do it to repeat offenders. Hits like this will always happens accidentally/in the heat of the moment. It's players repeatedly doing it and not even trying to learn from their mistakes, that's who the league should crack down on the hardest. I'm happy with the number.

Just now, Apple Juice said:

League making a statement to get rid of these types of hits. Because of the way Wilson plays and who he is as a player, league had to send a message somehow. Clearly, the Torres suspensions didn't make any difference. Also, league probably wants to change the way Wilson approaches the game and the way he approaches hits. 

There is literally no way that this hit was avoidable.  It was less than 1 second from the time Sundqvist turned into the middle of the ice to the moment of impact.  Wilson was coming into the play area, and the man carrying the puck put himself in the line of fire. Wilson did not seek his head, his head ended up on his shoulder.  Is the correct play to allow the opposition free reign in the offensive end?  Is the correct play to put HIMSELF in a position to get massively injured by bailing on the play just because Sundqvist is an idiot?  Wilson did everything he was ever taught on this, and the end result was bad.  I am personally disgusted by this decision.

Archived