The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) A trade that could really help, but hurt the hearts of us Canuck fans

Gator

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Its kind of unfortunate that by the time we get to the point of competing for the cup Horvat is only going to have a 3-4 year window of his best hockey left. I'd look at trading him, but not now. 

What timeline do you think we will be competing in?

34 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

nope

elias will be our #1 center by the end of the season

and will stay in that role for at least the next 10 seasons

i really doubt jack hughes could supplant him

bo makes an excellent complimentary center

he is a bit of a power forward in a center role..  a hard combo to find

i'm thinking the team could/should focus on drafting an elite winger

or a high skill dman with our top draft pick next season

I actually agree with you Coastal....solid comment IMO

I would temper it with a little wait and see attitude

as I am sure you know

Such a trade already happened to the Canucks....Twenty years ago!

The heart & soul of the Canucks (Trevor Linden who never took a shift off...now while he may have had a bad game or two, he never mailed it in) was dealt for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a draft pick who turned out to be Jarkko Ruutu!  McCabe was later one of the major pieces that Burke was able to draft the Sedins.

Thats tough to top.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

trading C depth of Bo's quality makes no sense right now. Its also impatient, we should see both Juolevi and Hughes on the team next year and I doubt teams would give us an upgrade on either.  

them and Tryamkin I absolutely have no stomach for tanking 1 more year

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I can see aquaman trading Horvat OR boeser + 1st rd pick 2019 (2nd overall - 5th overall)  for the 1st overall pick in 2019 to draft Jack Hughes. This would be a big splash but usually host teams try to make a big splash on draft day. 

Tbh I wouldn't mind trading Horvat+2nd-6th+mid round picks for Hughes. Love Horvat but having the Hughes brothers and Pettersson with a 40g Boeser.. man that'd be sweet

5 hours ago, Pickly said:

If the Canucks miraculously win the lottery and draft Hughes it makes horvat expendable. Pipe dream though cause they will never get the 1st overall pick

wow actually we would keep him and trade another to have two great C, sutter might be the odd man out going forward which I would hate to see but it would be him,Bo is not going any where no matter what people think

5 hours ago, ftmN said:

My first thought would be Werenski, but I'm not sure if Columbus would do a straight 1 for 1 swap and I would rather a RHD. So Jones for Horvat?

So you're saying...Norris-nominee for a player who is a below-average first-line player?

That's the trade Columbus used to acquire Jones in the first place. But, at that point, he was still developing. I imagine trading Horvat for a younger D would carry similar risk. And Columbus did it because of character issues - which is the other end of the spectrum from Bo.

I say stick with what we have, and continue to build on it.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

nope

elias will be our #1 center by the end of the season

and will stay in that role for at least the next 10 seasons

i really doubt jack hughes could supplant him

bo makes an excellent complimentary center

he is a bit of a power forward in a center role..  a hard combo to find

i'm thinking the team could/should focus on drafting an elite winger

or a high skill dman with our top draft pick next season

If the canucks draft 1st overall they will undoubtedly draft Jack Hughes. The thought of having two potential PPG elite caliber centerman is amazing. You always draft the best player available when you are picking that high and Hughes is a cut above the rest according to every draft expert out there.

Just now, Pickly said:

If the canucks draft 1st overall they will undoubtedly draft Jack Hughes. The thought of having two potential PPG elite caliber centerman is amazing. You always draft the best player available when you are picking that high and Hughes is a cut above the rest according to every draft expert out there.

it is october

the draft is in june

these are very young players

some will improve rapidly between now and the draft

it is too soon to anoint hughes #1 now

he is not a generational player.. just an elite potential player

everyone will be in a better position to assess the draft more accurately

in april/may . . when the seasons for the prospects is done

18 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

wow actually we would keep him and trade another to have two great C, sutter might be the odd man out going forward which I would hate to see but it would be him,Bo is not going any where no matter what people think

In order to get the top 2 stud defenseman this team needs it’s gonna come at a premium. If not Horvat than who?

Just now, coastal.view said:

it is october

the draft is in june

these are very young players

some will improve rapidly between now and the draft

it is too soon to anoint hughes #1 now

he is not a generational player.. just an elite potential player

everyone will be in a better position to assess the draft more accurately

in april/may . . when the seasons for the prospects is done

The Canuck brass have stated numerous times that they put a premium on drafting/developing centerman as you can never have too many in your system. I can’t see Benning passing up on the consensus best centre in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The Canuck brass have stated numerous times that they put a premium on drafting/developing centerman as you can never have too many in your system. I can’t see Benning passing up on the consensus best centre in the draft.

he would in a heart beat if bure was available

so let's just see where the prospects are at when the draft rolls around

Bo ?!

I'm looking at Boeser.
Not convinced that the team is being honest (BIG SURPRISE) about his health.
He looked totally off all pre-season and didn't even have a shot on goal in the opener.
Not saying "trade him!!!!"

but not saying don't either, if it's true ....   this team needs to learn how to get ahead of these kinds of things...

Like Ricky Bobby said IF YOU AINT FIRST YOU'RE LAST 

ps. and no, gaining a whopping EIGHT pounds in the summer is not an excuse for what's going on with him.

15 hours ago, Pickly said:

If the Canucks miraculously win the lottery and draft Hughes it makes horvat expendable. Pipe dream though cause they will never get the 1st overall pick

That's pretty much the only scenario in which I can see Horvat get moved for a defensive prospect.

10 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Such a trade already happened to the Canucks....Twenty years ago!

The heart & soul of the Canucks (Trevor Linden who never took a shift off...now while he may have had a bad game or two, he never mailed it in) was dealt for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a draft pick who turned out to be Jarkko Ruutu!  McCabe was later one of the major pieces that Burke was able to draft the Sedins.

Thats tough to top.

I still wouldn't have traded him. The "Heart and Soul" of the Canucks died that day he was traded. There has been nothing but heartbreak ever since. Bo may be the closest to a "Linden" this team has seen in decades. Hard pass.

Archived