The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. rec-league hockey player dies after slamming into boards [article]

poetica

I know it doesn't really fit into this category since it's rec league, but I think it's worth noting because it's sad to see someone die playing the sport we love! :(

B.C. rec-league hockey player dies after slamming into boards

B.C. Coroners Service says it's investigating the cause of the young man's death

A young hockey player who died after slamming into the boards during a game in Langley, B.C., is being remembered by a teammate as a "gentle giant," and "one of the best players out there."

Noah Trulsen, 22, was playing in an adult recreational league on Oct. 3 when team member Gerry Leiper says his friend may have caught an edge while rushing to the bench for a line change.

Leiper says he saw Trulsen's forehead hit the top of the boards and his face shield came down on the bridge of his nose, sending him sprawling to the ice.

The B.C. Coroners Service says in an email that it is investigating the cause of the young man's death.

Trulsen's family is involved in the Ridge Meadows Minor Hockey League and a post on the league's Facebook site says it is heartbroken by the tragic loss.

The post also included a statement from Trulsen's mother, Lorraine, thanking the hockey teams on the ice, paramedics, ambulance attendants, police and health-care workers who tried to save their son.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-rec-league-hockey-player-dies-after-slamming-into-boards-1.4852783

49 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Crazy :/ so sad. My condolences to the family. 

Brutal.  This guy is way too young to die.  Playing hockey should be fun, especially for young people.  I drank too much tonight.  I’m feeling bad for this boy and his close friends and family.  It should us old people passing on, not this young person.  The world is messed up.  

I played on the same team as him in 2nd year midget and went to high school together. He was a quiet and humble guy but had a very high compete level that rubbed off on everyone around him. He was competitive in all the right ways and bled for the game of hockey. He was tough on the ice, but when he'd come off you'd never guess it was the same guy.

It's a devastating loss for the Ridge/hockey community. 

This is a goal we connected on in our Xmas tourney final once upon a time. He's the big fella who fed me the perfect pass.

Rest easy brother.

00201_1.mp4

On 10/5/2018 at 11:23 PM, Alflives said:

It should us old people passing on, not this young person.

I feel the same way.  When I hear that a rec league / beer league player has died, I fully expect it to be an old fart like me having a heart attack.  When I saw the story for this one, I was shocked.

I feel horrible for his family and friends.

Archived