The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humbolt Broncos - PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK

Rob_Zepp

Please do not buy this book

Parents of Humboldt Broncos players involved in bus crash urge people not to buy new book about the team

blake-lough-headshot2-2017.png?w=55&h=55By Blake LoughDigital Journalist  Global News
  • 2WS: HUMBOLDT BRONCOS AND SASKATOON BLADES RAISE AWARENESS FOR BLOOD DONATIONX

ABOVE: New book about the Humboldt Broncos hockey team is facing criticism from some of the victims' families.

- A A +

Family members of players involved in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash are harshly criticizing a new book about the hockey team and are urging people not to buy it.

“The story of our family members is ours to tell, either individually or collectively, as we choose,” read a post on Toby Boulet’s Facebook account on Monday. Boulet’s son, Logan, was one of the players killed in the crash involving the Broncos’ team bus and a semi-truck.

The crash on April 6 claimed 16 lives and injured over a dozen others.

On Sept. 5, Barry Heath, a former Saskatchewan coroner and veterinarian, published his book titled Humble Beginnings of the Humboldt Broncos and the 2017-2018 Team.

It is listed on the Indigo-Chapters website and is shown to be available at multiple locations in Saskatoon.

“Please do not purchase this book,” Boulet wrote. “Dr. Heath asked families for input and not one family agreed to provide input. He was told that the families were not ready to tell the collective story about the tragic day in April.”

The mother of Ryan Straschnitzki, one of the Broncos who survived the crash but was left paralyzed from the chest down, tweeted her displeasure with the author on Monday as well.

“Do not buy the book,” she tweeted. “It was in no way supported or endorsed by the 29 families! It is not Dr. Heath’s story to tell.”

“A man by the name Barry Heath has written a book about the tragedy and nightmare we have all been living,” Christina George-Haugan, the widow of former Broncos coach Darcy Haugan who was killed in the April crash, posted on Facebook on Monday.  “He has done this without the support and endorsement of any family involved in this. In fact he was specifically asked not to do this at this time as none of us felt ready for something like that.

“Would you please do me a favour and not purchase this book and support him and share this so others don’t as well? I would appreciate that!”

WATCH: Humboldt Broncos player Layne Matechuk leaves hospital after 6 month stay

2018-10-06T04-01-25.766Z--1280x720.jpg?w=670&quality=70&strip=all

According to Boulet, Heath first sent letters to family members four to five weeks after the crash to pitch the book.

In a Facebook post that has since been deleted, Heath said he “followed the proper channels” by also contacting former Broncos president Kevin Garinger and sending him chapters of the book before publishing. He admitted that Garinger did not provide feedback.

Barry Heath Facebook comment.

Barry Heath Facebook comment.

Facebook

Because the families did not agree to participate in the writing of the book, Heath relied on details and interviews already published in various media outlets. Before the post was deleted and his account made private, many commenters criticized him for trying to profit off the tragedy.

Toby Boulet post on Facebook.

Toby Boulet post on Facebook.

Facebook

“Some may think I wrote the book for profit,” Heath wrote. “All the proceeds of the book go to the Humboldt Broncos Alumni Association, which was accepted by the Broncos as an umbrella group under them. One of the activities of the HBAA is to support hockey players by using funds for bursaries for young players. This is what I have agreed to do. $10 of each $20 book is going to the HBAA.”

Barry Heath comment on Facebook.

Facebook

“Ask yourselves – have the newspapers and TV and radio stations given support to the families from the profits of the additional papers or advertising they sold? Or did they just keep hounding them for more interviews?” Heath wrote.

Facebook

According to the author, the book also focuses on the early history of the team, but the table of contents shows at least 16 of the 28 chapters are dedicated to the bus crash and its aftermath.

Heath said the book took approximately 500 hours to complete and is his tribute to the team – adding that he believes he has “done justice to the emergency responders and the memories [of] the families of those lost and injured.”

I really don't see what the problem is here.  Millions of dollars were raised around the world, the families will be well taken care in that respect.  The author uses public domain as a source, which he is allowed to do. 

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I really don't see what the problem is here.  Millions of dollars were raised around the world, the families will be well taken care in that respect.  The author uses public domain as a source, which he is allowed to do. 

It sounds like none of the families wanted to be involved or for him to write this book. Considering the crash only happened 6 months ago, I think it's pretty $&!#ty of him to go ahead anyway and then say "nyah, nyah public domain!" on Facebook. 

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Not only that but now it's been brought to the front as before this post I've never heard of it. Now I just want to read it to see what the fuss is about.

Who cares. These humbolt family members "all 29 of them" seem completely hell bent on letting this incident ruin their entire lives. Aren't they all suing each other and fighting over who gets the money, and how much? The ones who had people die think they should get more than the ones who are living with serious injuries etc. Just split the money 29 ways and go on with your life. Lots of people die every day, I have lost 9 family members in the last 12 years, many in tragic ways, including car accidents. Death is never easy but time to move on people.

24 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Grief is a commodity.

I have little to say except that I am pumped to see that people are still recovering.  I knew no one directly involved. But have family who to this day live in Humbolt. My mum may move back into a care home near her sister. Her dad ran the Co-op general store and gas station in town for 30 years, hailed from nearby Leroy. Travelled these roads every day & ran his farm. We travelled the very road every year to camp, hunt, water ski & fish at Nipawin, see our cousins at Carrot River. The Co op's, he would say, were always a way the community could help each other. It was how people from Saskatchewan lived!. They tell me the community has rallied. Excited to have the team back.

I hope to watch them play this winter, have not been home for 15 plus years.

Good luck to all. At this moment, Layne & his dog from the posted story (thanks @Rob_Zepp for posting.) Yes, lets honor the families wishes!

image.png.7f5777ade198a0b350bf5988535f33ed.png

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I agree.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some may think I wrote the book for profit,” Heath wrote. “All the proceeds of the book go to the Humboldt Broncos Alumni Association, which was accepted by the Broncos as an umbrella group under them. One of the activities of the HBAA is to support hockey players by using funds for bursaries for young players. This is what I have agreed to do. $10 of each $20 book is going to the HBAA.”

That's not all the proceeds. If all $20 went to the HBAA then I'd be fine with it given the avenues he went through during writing, even if the families aren't. 

48 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That's not all the proceeds. If all $20 went to the HBAA then I'd be fine with it given the avenues he went through during writing, even if the families aren't. 

The book isn't produced for free. There are printing, distributing and marketing costs. I can't speak to half the $20 being all the costs that are a part of the book, but from experience with others self-publishing books I know it isn't cheap.

15 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It sounds like none of the families wanted to be involved or for him to write this book. Considering the crash only happened 6 months ago, I think it's pretty $&!#ty of him to go ahead anyway and then say "nyah, nyah public domain!" on Facebook. 

I don't know something about this quote just doesn't sit well with me:

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

“Do not buy the book,” she tweeted. “It was in no way supported or endorsed by the 29 families! It is not Dr. Heath’s story to tell.”

15 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

These humbolt family members "all 29 of them" seem completely hell bent on letting this incident ruin their entire lives. Aren't they all suing each other and fighting over who gets the money, and how much?

Sad.

16 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

thats true, its one of those 'you can' but 'should you?' things. The timing is crappy. 

This is definitely one of those grey areas really.

However, it's curious that only half of the proceeds are going to charity. Where is the other half going?

So yeah, I think there is definitely the stench of fishiness in this. You don't just spend 500 hours of your time making a book that clearly none of the families wanted yet and have it just be as a "contribution". The man clearly had some sort of ulterior motive with this if he knew from near the start that it wasn't something desired by the families.

heres a review on his previous book  "Saskatchewan coroner"       

Elizabeth's Reviews > Saskatchewan Coroner

Saskatchewan Coroner
by
U 50x66
Elizabeth's review

did not like it

This profiteer of tragedy has zero morales and has put himself on a pedestal. Absolutely sickening and beyond insensitive treatment of the families of the victims, both in word and behaviour. Despicable behaviour not worthy of a human being with an ounce of compassion. Do not waste your time on a single word.

On 09/10/2018 at 3:37 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

Who cares. These humbolt family members "all 29 of them" seem completely hell bent on letting this incident ruin their entire lives. Aren't they all suing each other and fighting over who gets the money, and how much? The ones who had people die think they should get more than the ones who are living with serious injuries etc. Just split the money 29 ways and go on with your life. Lots of people die every day, I have lost 9 family members in the last 12 years, many in tragic ways, including car accidents. Death is never easy but time to move on people.

From what I read, the families hired a lawyer to help determine how the money should be allocated. They are in no way suing each other for money. 

Archived