The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Sam Gagner Didn't see his cut coming

brownky

48 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

If you want to talk stats... Gagner is not that far behind Schaller... regardless of line mates.

Schaller - 

2017-18 Boston Bruins NHL 82 12 10 22 42 -5 11 0 2 2 2

Gagner - 

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks NHL 74 10 21 31 35 -18 -- -- -- -- --

Grandlund - 

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks NHL 53 8 4 12 8 -10

Whats sad is that both players played significantly less games that Schaller. 

I have no bones about Horvat scoring not scoring so I dont know why you would even bring him up.

Placing Gagner on waivers is about the 3 mill in his contract. these 2 did shiz in the preseason and they are doing shiz in the regular season. Yet Gagner is the leading scorer for the Marlies. I wouldn't doubt he is hoping to be traded from this doomed team.  

Listen Sam. You were waived because you just didn't cut it anymore. You didn't fit into the team dynamic. You're not talented or dynamic enough to be in the top 6, and far too passive and lazy a player to cut it in the bottom 6. You're the meaning of mediocrity in hockey, and are now where you belong, in the AHL.

Maybe close your CDC account and get over your dismissal. Move on, mopey.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're not talented or dynamic enough to be in the top 6, and far too passive and lazy a player to cut it in the bottom 6

Sam joins the prolific "not talented or dynamic enough to be in the top 6, and far too passive to cut it in the bottom 6" team alongside Jordan Schroeder and Derek Roy.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Listen Sam. You were waived because you just didn't cut it anymore. You didn't fit into the team dynamic. You're not talented or dynamic enough to be in the top 6, and far too passive and lazy a player to cut it in the bottom 6. You're the meaning of mediocrity in hockey, and are now where you belong, in the AHL.

Maybe close your CDC account and get over your dismissal. Move on, mopey.

584333-1.gif

55 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Horvat is a totally different player here. :picard:

Do you think The Canucks wanted Gagner to be sent to the Marlies or to another team?...and as per the "stats" he was one of the better players in the preseason. If Benning is sticking to his word...why is Granny and Schaller  still here....3 games in the regular season...all of preseason..and Gagner the only producer here. 

Hf I know that. I was saying Horvat hasn’t been producing at his normal rate, but continues to do other things well. If Gagner isn’t producing, he’s pretty much useless. 

I think the Canucks wanted the Gagner who put up 50 points for Columbus year before last and he’s disappointed. So when they waived him, as a professional courtesy to an 11 year veteran, they granted his wishes to be closer to his family. 

Granlund hasn’t been bad in his role whatsoever so far, and Schaller played his very first game (where’d you get 3 games from? Unless you just phrased that poorly) last night and looked pretty good doing it. High tempo, plenty of effort. 

I don’t know why I’m responding to you, you’ve made it pretty clear you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. 

Pretty sure there is more to this than meets the eye. Especially when you factor in Gagner being "loaned" to the Marlies after clearing waivers, instead of reporting to Utica to work with and mentor the kids. You would think the later would be the more ideal situation. (??) 

My .02 on this for what it's worth.

We had all heard this summer how competitive this years camp was going to be. How in shape everybody was expected to be. We had also heard that if the "kids" were ready, spots would be made, even at the expense of the vets. Personally, I don't think Gagner had that bad of a camp, pretty much a typical Sam Gagner camp I guess you could say. Yes, he did score a goal as well.

I think (maybe) the problem could have been more his attitude, rather than his play or his work ethic. I'm not suggesting that he had a bad attitude per say and was bad mouthing management at every turn, but I am suggesting that he "might" have come into camp with a more cavalier, "I'm a vet under contract and thus, I have a roster spot locked up. attitude" If so, I can certainly see that ruffling a few Management feathers, given what they were saying about how "fluid" the roster is/was all summer, and possibly raising a few eyebrows among fellow players re "who does he think he is?"

I mean really, odd man out I can see to let Pettersson show his stuff, (if that's in fact who took his spot) but then shipping him to the Marlies to play rather than having him mentor and work with the kids in Utica, especially with his vast NHL experience, makes me think the Marlies move was to take him right out of the organization and pretty much incommunicado with all the kids.

:)    

This is why Benning should just hide the cheque book come July 1st. Not including this year (yet), none of his free agent signings have worked out thus far aside from Ryan Miller. Like, we as fans seem to know better than management and ownership that free agent signings are a waste of time unless you are on the brink of contending and need that extra piece. Now his cap hit is buried in the minors for two seasons.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

This is why Benning should just hide the cheque book come July 1st. Not including this year (yet), none of his free agent signings have worked out thus far aside from Ryan Miller. Like, we as fans seem to know better than management and ownership that free agent signings are a waste of time unless you are on the brink of contending and need that extra piece. Now his cap hit is buried in the minors for two seasons.

No we don't.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

No we don't.

Of course. We aren’t supposed to. Which is why these guys get paid what they do to make the decisions. However, sometimes I wonder how they rationalize the crap they do. Our management group is boneheaded when it comes to handing out contracts to free agents, overpaying and giving too much term.

8 hours ago, timberz21 said:

"TORONTO – When you sign a three-year, $9.45-million NHL contract one season, the last place you imagine starting the next is living at your parents’ house, three time zones away, and skating for some other franchise’s farm team"

EXACTLY!!! You're making 9.45M$ and you made like probably 20M$ before that...why would you go live with your parents...jeez, rent a hotel, a condo or house...i think you can afford it.

You don't know what he's done with his career earnings and how much he has saved. Just because he's made that much doesn't mean he has that much or more than enough in his bank. Besides, IIRC in the CBA players are allowed an allowance for rent/hotel should they choose so. Just so happened that he'd rather go live with his parents to avoid the loneliness of being in his own unit or hotel room and he'd much rather feel at home with his parents. Plus, whenever his wife and kids come to visit, they'll be able to stay with his parents instead of him having to incur extra expenses booking a hotel room for his family.

1 hour ago, SuperReverb2 said:

Pretty sure there is more to this than meets the eye. Especially when you factor in Gagner being "loaned" to the Marlies after clearing waivers, instead of reporting to Utica to work with and mentor the kids. You would think the later would be the more ideal situation. (??) 

I mentioned earlier in this thread that in the AHL, you're allowed a maximum 5 veteran players dressed on any given night. Utica already has 5 that will dress on a nightly basis which includes Boucher and Archibald who will be callups should injuries arise. The other 3 are Wacey Hamilton, Jaime Sifers, and Carter Bancks who are AHL vets themselves. Gagner would most likely have been scratched constantly and I'm 100% positive the culture in Utica in terms of work ethic, accountability, and effort is the same as what Travis Green has been instilling in the Canucks since he's arrived.

35 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Vanek? 

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Sam joins the prolific "not talented or dynamic enough to be in the top 6, and far too passive to cut it in the bottom 6" team alongside Jordan Schroeder and Derek Roy.

Add Schaller and Granlund to that list as well.....

20 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Get in line after Grabner (waived by the worst team in the league previously), Hodgson (dumped expensive contract due to being a prima donna... and having a dad who was one), Yakupov (1st overall pick back to Europe due to game not translating to two-way game)... etc.

Just cuz you're a 6th overall pick with an 8-point game in your past doesn't mean that you will be gift-wrapped a spot.   

I'd be on board if the Canucks gave Yakupov a second shot at the NHL in a couple of years.  He's putting up some points right now so maybe he'll start figuring out what he needs to do, and there's another Russian buddy to help get Tryamkin back over here as well.

14 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Of course. We aren’t supposed to. Which is why these guys get paid what they do to make the decisions. However, sometimes I wonder how they rationalize the crap they do. Our management group is boneheaded when it comes to handing out contracts to free agents, overpaying and giving too much term.

The problem with ufa's is if you actually want them you have to make the most attractive offer. All you get on one year deals are aging players going year by year, bottom end players, or formers looking to prove themselves again. Anybody decent and up will be looking for term and a reasonable salary. But anybody decent will have more than one team looking to sign them, meaning market value is the starting point.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schaller. Really?

Basically yet another older AHL player that Canucks signed to play on the team.

Pointless signing. 

If you want some comedy.... google the time Schaller asked Guddy to go.....     I think Schaller crapped his pants when he realized what he had signed up for with Guddy....

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Basically yet another older AHL player that Canucks signed to play on the team.

Pointless signing. 

If you want some comedy.... google the time Schaller asked Guddy to go.....     I think Schaller crapped his pants when he realized what he had signed up for with Guddy....

And yet Schaller asked Guddy to go anyway.  How many guys will do that? 

Archived