The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis TSN 1040 Interview

Qwags

Sounds like Gillis was thinking some changes were needed after 2012? I thought at that time that the team in hand wouldn't win and it would be time to make some moves while you still can, I would guess based on these comments that the owners kept that from happening.

Too bad he discovered too late the scouting staff needed an overhaul. Giving away NTC's like candy was bad. 

Would have been far better to give Luongo a larger salary and a 5 year deal. 

Not every goalie plays for 8+ years. In fact it's more the exception not the rule. 

For all the bitchin’ about Gillis, he did assemble a great group that made it to the finals. And imo, the most talented and cohesive group ever in canucks history. Just to clarify, I am 53 yrs old and watched all 3 finals, regardless of what others say about the 94 run, the 2011 team was the best.

Dude actually seems like he’s doing okay. Hopefully he lands a job somewhere and can prove that he knows what he’s doing. 

Regardless of what most folks say about him inheriting a bunch of talent, its really the team and structure he put together that got to the finals. Which is more than a lot of GMs can say. 

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

For all the bitchin’ about Gillis, he did assemble a great group that made it to the finals. And imo, the most talented and cohesive group ever in canucks history. Just to clarify, I am 53 yrs old and watched all 3 finals, regardless of what others say about the 94 run, the 2011 team was the best.

I respectfully disagree that he assembled a great group. He did make some key additions, but I believe his best work was being able to retain Burrows, Kesler, the Sedins, Luongo, Bieksa. In the salary cap era, for a team to get players to take pay cuts to build a great team, it is almost unheard of. 

16 minutes ago, xereau said:

Not very many teams recover from being so close.  Should have blown it up a LOT earlier.

Actually, many teams do and use it to grow.  The Oilers dynasty followed immediately after a Finals loss to the Islanders.  Flames got to the Final in 86, then won it in 89.  Canadiens lost in the Final in 89 and then won it in 93.  Pittsburgh and Detroit in the Crosby years.  Anaheim in 03 then 06.

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Actually, many teams do and use it to grow.  The Oilers dynasty followed immediately after a Finals loss to the Islanders.  Flames got to the Final in 86, then won it in 89.  Canadiens lost in the Final in 89 and then won it in 93.  Pittsburgh and Detroit in the Crosby years.  Anaheim in 03 then 06.

Not in the salary cap era. It is very rare.

Sounds like he knew assets needed to be traded after 2012 but " things intervened". I try keep my nose outta the "Owners are too hands on" stuff but, I mean. That would make sense no? Not sure I'd be 100% on board with Gillis leading the rebuild, but he did try overhaul the scouting department. Imagine a 2013 rebuild where we could sell off assets before they lost value. Or in some cases actually get something for some assets that Benning didn't. I have a hard time believing Gillis would have gotten nothing for Hamhuis for instance.

I do appreciate his comment about drafting and how the GMs only really have a say on the 1st rounder. I imagine it really depends on the willingness of the GM to be more hands on or not though. For instance I am assuming Benning enjoys the scouting/drafting part of the job more than Gillis. Whereas Gillis was more of a trader/free agent guy. 

But it is funny that a lot of discussion around some Canucks fans are about how Gillis' drafting history was piss poor and how the Canucks waited too long to rebuild. Both things he said he was going to address but was cut before he could. He deflects blame to his scouts and says "things intervened" to prevent a rebuild. Both things I am not saying aren't necessarily true but is interesting to keep in mind as you read his responses.

Edit: even though the rebuild is late I am incredibly happy with where the rebuild is now though. I am not saying I'd prefer a Gillis rebuild. Just interesting to think about what we'd look like if Gillis was allowed to rebuild when he said we should have with a overhauled scouting staff.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

the Romans built a dynasty after the Greeks

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Sounds like Gillis was thinking some changes were needed after 2012? I thought at that time that the team in hand wouldn't win and it would be time to make some moves while you still can, I would guess based on these comments that the owners kept that from happening.

I remember people suspecting that management and MG were having disagreements about whether to rebuild or not around that time. Definitely sounds that way now. Just imagine the returns we would've gotten if we had traded Kes, Burr, Hamhuis, Bieksa, etc closer to their primes around 2012.

Archived