The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis TSN 1040 Interview

Qwags

Gillis: My biggest regret running the #Canucks was that I didn't change the scouting staff & system early enough.I should have done that a lot quicker. But we felt we could work through a better process, make things better, and came to the conclusion too late that wasn't the case

Yes, Ron Delorme encouraged Benning to pick Pettersson. But that doesn't excuse his decades long influence on the scouting for the Canucks as chief of amateur scouting. One of the worst, if not the worst, teams in the league for all that time in that department. I know all teams miss on players, but the shoulda coulda woulda list of players that would have been in the Canucks family is staggering. Many just one pick down.

So yeah, Delorme continued his hapless run working for Gillis.  Who's only real gem under his term was Horvat, but that was unusual circumstances, and even that was balanced the other way as we lost whet was considered an up and coming great #1 goalie of the future in exchange.

Gillis was famous for harping on since his first arrival, about following the "Detroit plan".   Well, the Detroit plan only worked because  they had a great scouting staff that could pick later round gems consistently. Gillis never had enough talent in his scouting department to fulfill that part of the plan.

One thing I will always respect Gilles for, is during a nationally televised Canucks-Leafs game, one in which the Canucks were dominating, Ron McLean had his anti-Burrows rant/high lite reel.

Gilles saw this, and immediately pulled any Vancouver Canuck players, coaches, whoever, from doing ANY CBC interviews. This, again, during a Saturday night nationally televised game, with the Canucks being the best team in the league, and now NO ONE to interview during intermission or commercial break. 

Poor Scott Oake was scrambling to find filler.

Word got out quickly what had happened, and McLean’s “whole hearted apology” about the Burrows character assassination  happened a few days later. 

Thumbs up to Gilles for that!

On 2018-10-11 at 1:16 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Sounds like Gillis was thinking some changes were needed after 2012? I thought at that time that the team in hand wouldn't win and it would be time to make some moves while you still can, I would guess based on these comments that the owners kept that from happening.

I’m glad he failed to also make changes in the scouting system.

Thanks to his steadfast mentality, the Canucks now have Virtanen, Pettersson, Boeser and Juolevi and Quinn Hughes, among with a plethora of good futures in later rounds such as Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPieteo, Gunnarsson, Palmu, Gaudette, Demko and Tryamkin.

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Gillis: My biggest regret running the #Canucks was that I didn't change the scouting staff & system early enough.I should have done that a lot quicker. But we felt we could work through a better process, make things better, and came to the conclusion too late that wasn't the case

Yes, Ron Delorme encouraged Benning to pick Pettersson. But that doesn't excuse his decades long influence on the scouting for the Canucks as chief of amateur scouting. One of the worst, if not the worst, teams in the league for all that time in that department. I know all teams miss on players, but the shoulda coulda woulda list of players that would have been in the Canucks family is staggering. Many just one pick down.

So yeah, Delorme continued his hapless run working for Gillis.  Who's only real gem under his term was Horvat, but that was unusual circumstances, and even that was balanced the other way as we lost whet was considered an up and coming great #1 goalie of the future in exchange.

Gillis was famous for harping on since his first arrival, about following the "Detroit plan".   Well, the Detroit plan only worked because  they had a great scouting staff that could pick later round gems consistently. Gillis never had enough talent in his scouting department to fulfill that part of the plan.

Benning having a scouting background himself is most likely a huge influence on our scouting department.

That's the difference, that and learning from your mistakes.

Everything happens for a reason anyway.

Mike Gillis Canucks the Best team in franchise history. 

He called it thou, his biggest failing was not getting rid of the inept scouting staff when he came in. And benning proved it.

Bennings best move was promoting judd bracket, drafting improved exponentially since then. (Having top ten pick year after year helps too.)

Gillis will be a GM again he did a great job at putting and keeping winning team on the ice over a long period of time.

and all those who think he was awful......WINNINEST GM IN FRANCHISIE  HISTORY. ...... 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, vancouverbucsfan said:

He's still an idiot sorry to say! Took all the credit and glory for a team largely put together buy Burke and Nonnis. Didn't do enough depth wise in developing the teams third and fourth lines other than adding scraps like Raffi Torres

loser.png

perdente.png

Now, if AV had played Schnide's in game 4 instead of asking Luongo if he wanted to play after being lit up for 8 goals in game 3 and then after the game Luongo saying how much of a grind the playoffs were.....Schnides was the other half of the Jennings trophy for best goalie tandem, Schnides was a Bean Town hero that could have turned some more fans to the Canucks favor in Boston just cheering him, maybe playing rested and uninjured Tambellini, Ballard or Hodgson over injured players, Higgins, Glass,  in game 6, AV had Oreskovich dressing and basically pinned to the bench.....when Marchand started goofing it up Boston gave him extra icetime, AV cut back on Torres icetime, a player that had the Boston players head on a swivel....could have called up Rypien

What good is depth if not used?

And IF they had won one more game and won the cup....still would have been the riot just not as intense, would Gillis be blamed for winning the cup?

Would've, Should've, Could've, But Didn't

@theguardian yes I agree with you. As well have argued with a lot of Canucks fans regarding Luongo's play in that final as well. Certainly not all of it was his fault but he let 21 pucks fly buy him in 4 games! As the saying goes 'you are only as strong as your weakest link"! Bottom line he UNDERPERFORMED! He got paid handsomely to seal the deal and failed to do so. Being up 2-0 and 3-2 at one point all he had to do was STEAL us one more game and we'd have hosted lord stanley. And a goalie has to do that once in a while. Carey Price has done it for Montreal along with Patrick Roy, Brodeur, Quick, etc. All the fans responding to me here via this site or youtube comments are like 'well the Canucks couldn't score"! Well New Jersey couldn't score either but Marty Brodeur has 3 cups! Bottom line in this final if both goalies are on top of their game it is gonna be a 1-0 2-1 kind of game. Seems most of the finals these past years have all been tight low scoring games that are ending up being 1-0 2-1 kind of games. It comes down to grit and will power. You'd figure the law of averages we should have at least been able to have one more win and game gone our way. Luongo played great 3 games, the other 3 he sh8it the bed, game 7 the team was done and out of gas! And yes I'd have started Schnieder game 6 in boston over Luongo and AV could've told Luo be good to go game 7 at home. Luo can't be faulted in game 7, the team didn't show up. And Luo game 6 in Boston let 4 pucks go buy him in the first 10 minutes of that game if we all recall. Kirk McLean had one bad game in the 94 final(game 5 I believe) but he still was more clutch than Lou was and got us to that 7th game which we could've won that cup as well. I rest my case.

20 hours ago, vancouverbucsfan said:

He's still an idiot sorry to say! Took all the credit and glory for a team largely put together buy Burke and Nonnis. Didn't do enough depth wise in developing the teams third and fourth lines other than adding scraps like Raffi Torres

loser.png

perdente.png

Never mind the fact that guys like Torres and Higgins were a huge part of the depth that got us to the finals.... 

On 12/10/2018 at 4:31 PM, combover said:

Mike Gillis Canucks the Best team in franchise history. 

He called it thou, his biggest failing was not getting rid of the inept scouting staff when he came in. And benning proved it.

Bennings best move was promoting judd bracket, drafting improved exponentially since then. (Having top ten pick year after year helps too.)

Gillis will be a GM again he did a great job at putting and keeping winning team on the ice over a long period of time.

and all those who think he was awful......WINNINEST GM IN FRANCHISIE  HISTORY. ...... 

It does beg a question though: How did a scouting staff that found Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Raymond, Hansen, Grabner and Schneider (none in the top 10 of any draft and 4 outside the first round) suddenly become completely inept under Gillis?

How difficult was it to turn his inheritance into a cup contender?

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Raymond/Kesler

Hansen

Edler

Bieksa

Salo

Luongo

Schneider

Every new GM inherits pieces, but an awful lot of the keys to success were already here before he took over. Burke inherited pieces in Anaheim. But compare the roster the season before Burke took over to the roster that won the cup. There's two bottom 6 forwards and the starting goalie left. Plus Getzlaf and Perry who were in the system but hadn't played an NHL game yet. Burke did far more to build a winner than Gillis had to. Burke replaced 4 of his top 6 forwards and inserted rookies Getzlaf and Perry, plus he replaced the entire D. Burke was given no credit on this board for building a contender because Getzlaf, Perry and Giguere were inherited. Gillis inherited far more of his contender yet some here believe he did an amazing building job.

The only major Gillis contributions to becoming a contender were Hamhuis and Ehrhoff. The rest were just easy to acquire role players. Hamhuis turned down several better offers because he wanted to come here and Ehrhoff came with a cap dump that limited the cap strapped Sharks trade partners. Pretty easy deals for any GM in Gillis' position. I'll certainly give him credit for filling the roster out to be a contender but it wasn't some amazing display of GM wheeling and dealing to do it.

Typical CDC.  Some people using injuries and refs as excuses for losing under Benning, totally ignore Hamhuis, Maholtra, Samuelsson, and Raymond being injured in the finals under Gillis.  Rome suspended.  Higgins playing on broken foot, Edler with two broken fingers and Erhoff with a shoulder injury that he had to get surgery for.  Not to mention an epic ref job thanks to Colin Campbell's kid playing for the Bruins.  

Lets not forget Gillis made his best move by not firing Alain Vigneault and bringing in his own coach when he was hired.  Hired sleep doctors to help with brutal road schedule, did everything he could to give the team an advantage off the ice.  I hated that we hired some player agent as a GM when we had a good team but he helped but them over the top, made me a fan of his. 

Archived