The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] William Nylander to Vancouver?

ForzaTikare

Because of the start in Toronto and the Nylander stigning taking time rumors have started to go on a trade involving him, probably for a Defenseman.. Think there is something behind this? 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/is-a-william-nylander-trade-in-the-leafs-future-here-are-8-possible-teams

2 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Because of the start in Toronto and the Nylander stigning taking time romouts have started to go on a trade involving him, probably for a Defenseman.. Think there is something behind this? 

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/is-a-william-nylander-trade-in-the-leafs-future-here-are-8-possible-teams

LOOooooove how they use analytics as a case for wanting player X or Y but Tanev is too old or too banged up

But hey they mentioned Erik Gudbranson.  Would love to see a Real Gud trade 1-1 for Nylander just so I could hear

Toronto claim he's the greatest defensemen who ever lived not named Pronger and Vancouver to bemoan how they just let this guy go

and

Vancouver to claim how Nylander is the next Naslund and shows all the leadership one could want and Toronto claim how they never needed him anyways and he's a bum

Hockey fans are as fun as religious fans and political fans

Maybe at one time this made sense, but not now.  I would think that Toronto's ask would include Edler and either Juolevi or Hughes.  Where would that leave our defence?  We actually have a pretty good looking, young, group of forwards right now, with more coming down on the farm.  Trading for Nylander for important defensive pieces seems redundant and counter-productive at this time.

Article says Tanev is "too old", too injured I can't really argue with. But too old? 29 in December. I wouldn't consider that too old. He's at least much younger than the guy they currently have with Reilly. LOL. 

Gudbranson's injury history is similar to Tanev's, but doesn't say he is "too banged up". 

5 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Because of the start in Toronto and the Nylander stigning taking time romouts have started to go on a trade involving him, probably for a Defenseman.. Think there is something behind this? 

This is a rumour for sure.  It’s craperolla, which is (pretty much) the definition of rumour.  WM is a redundant piece on every team.  All teams have smaller, perimeter wingers.  We have both Baer and Goldy, so why would we add WM?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is a rumour for sure.  It’s craperolla, which is (pretty much) the definition of rumour.  WM is a redundant piece on every team.  All teams have smaller, perimeter wingers.  We have both Baer and Goldy, so why would we add WM?  

Because he's significantly better than Baertschi and (at the present) Goldobin.

I doubt it happens, but he's a legitimate top six threat already and has top line potential. He's not as good as some of Toronto's other guys, so he falls on the depth chart there. He would look good here, though. That being said, I doubt there's any validity to the rumors, but I would be pretty happy if they brought him to Vancouver for a reasonable price. He'd make the powerplay even more scary.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

LOOooooove how they use analytics as a case for wanting player X or Y but Tanev is too old or too banged up

But hey they mentioned Erik Gudbranson.  Would love to see a Real Gud trade 1-1 for Nylander just so I could hear

Toronto claim he's the greatest defensemen who ever lived not named Pronger and Vancouver to bemoan how they just let this guy go

and

Vancouver to claim how Nylander is the next Naslund and shows all the leadership one could want and Toronto claim how they never needed him anyways and he's a bum

Hockey fans are as fun as religious fans and political fans

but i don't think it would be smart for the canucks to pay him 8 million a year

which is apparently his contract demand (aav)

that is a bit crazy for where this team is at

They can probably get better defensive pieces from other teams than us. Don't think we are the ideal trading partners. Though would love to get Nylander somehow. Nylander/Pettersson duo would be insane.

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

They can probably get better defensive pieces from other teams than us. Don't think we are the ideal trading partners. Though would love to get Nylander somehow. Nylander/Pettersson duo would be insane.

Nylander, Pettersson, and Boeser on the powerplay would be so very fun to watch. All three can snipe in addition to Petey and Nylander's distributing abilities.

3 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Because he's significantly better than Baertschi and (at the present) Goldobin.

I doubt it happens, but he's a legitimate top six threat already and has top line potential. He's not as good as some of Toronto's other guys, so he falls on the depth chart there. He would look good here, though. That being said, I doubt there's any validity to the rumors, but I would be pretty happy if they brought him to Vancouver for a reasonable price. He'd make the powerplay even more scary.

So he’s not good enough for TO, and we want him?  How do we ever win a Cup if we take on (in trade) other teams’ scraps?  Like you say, Goldy is looking as good, if not better.  Plus, Baer IS a very similar player to WM.  Baer compensates fewer points, by actually playing on the defensive side of the puck.  60 points, combined with soft selfish, and scared is not a helpful player.  The guy did a Double Flamingo!  You want a teammate who does that?  Do you think the Leaf players like that?  

18 minutes ago, Toews said:

This isn't a rumor, its speculation. It's from the Sun as well which means it's worth even less than that.

Wouldn't be surprised if every TO media outlet has some sort of 'trading Nylander' speculation going on. SN's Luke Fox ( total a-hole ! ) has Tanev and Edler in his speculation. I think that Vancouver is included for the click bait value. In reality, I don't think there's a deal that makes sense for either team.

I just don't see us as great trading partners for Nylander. Tanev alone isn't enough, Guddy isn't even close. Juolevi is a no go. I see a team like Minny that could offer up a Dumba type Dman making more sense. That said, I would do Tanev and a second. Then I would flip WN in a three way for a good young dman. Pipe dream though as TO would of just traded WN for that young dman anyways.

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Wouldn't want him with the latest saga regarding his $$$ demands. Puts up 2 60pt seasons and all of a sudden he thinks he's worth 8+ mill/year. Hard pass.

you can't fault a guy for it, they clearly can't afford all of Marner, Mathews and Nylander

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So he’s not good enough for TO, and we want him?  How do we ever win a Cup if we take on (in trade) other teams’ scraps?  Like you say, Goldy is looking as good, if not better.  Plus, Baer IS a very similar player to WM.  Baer compensates fewer points, by actually playing on the defensive side of the puck.  60 points, combined with soft selfish, and scared is not a helpful player.  The guy did a Double Flamingo!  You want a teammate who does that?  Do you think the Leaf players like that?  

This. WN is somewhat overrated playing on that stacked team. If Baer played on that team his numbers would be inflated as well.  The only reason I would want WN is to flip him for a young, stud, dman.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Toronto's offensive depth is insane. It makes ours, and most of the leagues, look shallow in comparison. So, yes, I think a player who doesn't necessarily fit their plans could still be a very valuable asset to our team. I absolutely would like to add a player who can put up 60 points, yes. Especially if the cost ends up below market value due to his contract situation.

Goldy is not looking better, yet. He's had a good start to the year, but it remains to be seen if he can keep up the consistency. I would keep him together with Pettersson because there seems to be budding chemistry there, but having another viable offensive threat would be huge for us. Nylander in the top six allows Sven to stay in the middle six (ideally third line) where he looks more comfortable as a utility scorer who can take on defensive responsibility.

You're undervaluing what Nylander can bring to the table. He is extremely offensively talented, and I think on a roster where he has more room to shine he could elevate his game even further than he has in Toronto.

Archived