The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury Report: 2018/19 Canucks

ftmN

Welcome to the NHL Petty. Other teams will target you with intent to injure and may give you concussions or fractures. But don't worry, DOPS will give the offenders a telephone call and perhaps a few games. Oh and your team won't create any deterrents so you're on your own.

Hope he recovers fully before returning and his return includes better equipment and teammates.

59 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Shouldn't be with the team and shouldn't have flown on an airplane so soon after the incident then. 

The more sleep and rest you get post-concussion the better. Demko shouldn't have flown after his concussion and now they made the same mistake with Pettersson. 

Dumb.

I kind of think and hope that they say Pettersson is out for 7-10 days just so that Matheson gets suspended.  If they stated he was not injured and cleared to play, Matheson is not getting suspended.

51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

7-10 days means he will miss at least four games. I wonder if he will be ready by the time Canucks play back-to-back games next Wednesday & Thursday.

I really hope they don't rush him back, as much as we need him in the line up his long term health should be #1 priority. Being the competitive guy he is he will likely want to get back in the line up asap. 

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I really hope they don't rush him back, as much as we need him in the line up his long term health should be #1 priority. Being the competitive guy he is he will likely want to get back in the line up asap. 

Exactly my fear as well. You just can’t put a number on head injuries. Too many star players such as Paul Karia had to quit their career short because of concussions. No need to rush because we are not trying to win the cup this season. And we want EP to be back 100%. No need to rush the return.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I trust the experts over you.

Don't need to trust me, trust the science. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/7/639.1

Impact of Air Flight on Games Missed Post Concussion in NHL Players

Background Concussions(mTBI) occur at variable reported rates of 1–4 per 100 player games in the NHL. Hypoxia exacerbates neuronal death following mild TBI in animals and Oxygen deprivation leads to greater mitochondrial dysfunction in concussed brains. This study will evaluate the impact of mild hypoxia associated with airline travel on duration of concussion symptoms in NHL players.

Results 239 concussions occurred during the 3 study seasons of which 35 players were excluded for additional injuries or concussion lasted over the end of a season. 202/204 (99%) of NHL players with diagnosed concussions missed at least one game with a mean 9.2 games (SD +/- 9.6) missed. Those players that flew after suffering an mTBI missed 32.9% more games with: 10.5 (95% CI: 2.5–17.7) missed games and 26.5 days for those 99 NHL'ers (95% CI: 2.5–17.7) VS. 7.9 (95% CI: 0–16.5) games and 20.7 days for the 205 NHL'ers that did not fly; P<.01. Odds Ratio to miss games post concussion after air travel to no air travel: 3.8:1.

Discussion: This initial report of an increased rate of recovery in terms of nearly 1/3 more games missed, for professional athletes flying commercial airlines due to likely increased concussion penumbra and lack of brain rest following mTBI. Future studies should evaluate standard 48–72 hour post mTBI brain rest, without any air flight to abate the decreased oxygen tension suffered during pressurized cabin flight.

As a disclaimer, this is not a full study and shouldn't be taken as such. As an initial report, however, we can see a trend forming. 

Just now, EP Phone Home said:

Exactly my fear as well. You just can’t put a number on head injuries. Too many star players such as Paul Karia had to quit their career short because of concussions. No need to rush because we are not trying to win the cup this season. And we want EP to be back 100%. No need to rush the return.

Didn't this happen to Patrik Stefan? Had a concussion and never lived up to his potential?

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

John Shannon‏Verified account @JSportsnet

FollowFollow @JSportsnet

Jim Benning confirms that Elias Pettersson will not play in Pittsburgh or Winnipeg. Could be longer, but will be re-examined in Vancouver. Says EP is feeling better today.

8:23 AM - 15 Oct 2018

That's not terrible news... he could return after 2 games? If he's back for Boston, that'll make me happy.

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's not terrible news... he could return after 2 games? If he's back for Boston, that'll make me happy.

Back against Boston to have him play against the rat? Last thing we want to for him is to get submarine'd. Even getting close to him would give him the flu of some sort.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

Don't trust anybody. 

What benefit is there to trusting someone's word over someone elses'? Who makes that initial determination over which all opinions are originally formed and then taught? And then who believes it to be true? 

Letters behind a name does not indicate intelligence. It indicates the ability to acquire letters behind a name. 

The studies and PCS treatments I would think drive what is taught.

Iam not an expert by any means, but having been to that rodeo 5 times, rest is the best thing for sure. Having said that,  the severity of the symptoms should determine the flying time, as it can worsen the symptoms and delay recovery.

If it is a minor concussion your are generally ok to fly (take earplugs and a sleep mask). If you suffered a major (generally knocked out), a few days before flying is a good idea as there may still be swelling and that should come down first.

In the case of Demko vs Pettersson, everybody reacts differently to the symptoms, so it's case by case I believe. Without knowing how bad the symptoms are, you need to trust the team Dr.

11 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Didn't this happen to Patrik Stefan? Had a concussion and never lived up to his potential?

Not sure about Stefan (only remember him when he missed that open net against the oilers and then they tied the game left with seconds left to go:lol:) however guys like Lindros and many many others have been a victims of shortened careers from trauma to the head. As a snow boarder who wears a helmet on the mountain and has sustained 2 concussions. Over time they have their repercussions. I don’t like to think where I’d be without the helmet. Crazy to think that hockey at one point didn’t have helmets.

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago

Mike Matheson’s disciplinary hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety was held at 10 a.m. today.

George Richards‏Verified account @GeorgeRichards 1h1 hour ago

George Richards Retweeted Bob McKenzie

And he was on the ice at 10:50

1 hour ago, mll said:

Jay Beagle has a fractured forearm per McKenzie.  

As for Pettersson:

I don't know but I've often thought the forearms and wrists seem so exposed to slashes and pucks. When my son played I got him a longer wrist sweat band to help with the slashes. Similarly I'm glad the team looked at Tanner's equipment this off season.

10 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago

Mike Matheson’s disciplinary hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety was held at 10 a.m. today.

George Richards‏Verified account @GeorgeRichards 1h1 hour ago

George Richards Retweeted Bob McKenzie

And he was on the ice at 10:50

So...the NHL came down hard and gave him a fine?:wacko:

Archived