The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury Report: 2018/19 Canucks

ftmN

7 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

'In a few weeks'........as in 3 or 4 or 5 weeks time ? 'A few' is more than two. There are only six weeks left.

This is why we can't re-sign Tanev.

We can't count on this guy being healthy when we need him.

Unfortunately his value has likely diminished around the league too.

Tanev, Sutter Baertschi and Virtanen are basically done for the year.  We may get Edler back in a week or two.  At this point unless we win the next two games we should be sellers at the deadline.  Get what we can for Goldobin, Granlund and maybe Hutton.  Unfortunately Schaller and Pouliot have zero worth.  Biega could be included in a package deal.

We need to look at moving Tanev in the summer for sure.  I really don't want to give him an extension at this point.  Having Edler extended is good enough for me.  A 31 year old Tanev extended for any length of time next year would be a disaster.  

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tanev, Sutter Baertschi and Virtanen are basically done for the year.  We may get Edler back in a week or two.  At this point unless we win the next two games we should be sellers at the deadline.  Get what we can for Goldobin, Granlund and maybe Hutton.  Unfortunately Schaller and Pouliot have zero worth.  Biega could be included in a package deal.

We need to look at moving Tanev in the summer for sure.  I really don't want to give him an extension at this point.  Having Edler extended is good enough for me.  A 31 year old Tanev extended for any length of time next year would be a disaster.  

100% agree.  Trade any and all possible from the over 25 crowd at the coming TDL.  I just don’t see any takers for our crap.  Definitely DO NOT resign Edler.  Definitely TRADE Tanev.  Use the cap saving to sign DK July 1st. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

100% agree.  Trade any and all possible from the over 25 crowd at the coming TDL.  I just don’t see any takers for our crap.  Definitely DO NOT resign Edler.  Definitely TRADE Tanev.  Use the cap saving to sign DK July 1st. 

I would re-sign Edler.  Tanev definitely I would move.  The Canucks need to go all in on Mark Stone.  He's the perfect winger for BO and will only be 27 and still in his prime.  I don't want to sign a 29 year old EK to an $11 million 7 year contract.  It's gonna bite us in the behind in the long term, especially when Pettersson is gonna need to get paid upwards of $12 million.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would re-sign Edler.  Tanev definitely I would move.  The Canucks need to go all in on Mark Stone.  He's the perfect winger for BO and will only be 27 and still in his prime.  I don't want to sign a 29 year old EK to an $11 million 7 year contract.  It's gonna bite us in the behind in the long term, especially when Pettersson is gonna need to get paid upwards of $12 million.

We do have Hughes, who might just be better than EK.  I love Stone.  He’s an old time hockey player.  If we could get him I’d be ecstatic.  

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is why we can't re-sign Tanev.

We can't count on this guy being healthy when we need him.

Unfortunately his value has likely diminished around the league too.

agreed.......many of us were wanting him moved when it first became apparent that injuries were going to be an ongoing thing with him.........when he still had value

On 2/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, Alflives said:

Recipe for disaster if I've ever seen one

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Recipe for disaster if I've ever seen one

I said this in another thread, but if you look at the standings, the teams who have gone heavy on the youth movement are all on the outside looking in, aside from the (puke) Maple Leafs.  People need to get over this "youth over veterans" delusion.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I said this in another thread, but if you look at the standings, the teams who have gone heavy on the youth movement are all on the outside looking in, aside from the (puke) Maple Leafs.  People need to get over this "youth over veterans" delusion.

Old, and declining core veterans are not what a rebuilding team needs.  We have a young developing new core.  We need veteran pieces supporting that young core, but not being part of it.  Edler, Tanev, Sutter we’re part of the previous core, and should not be part of our next core group.  It’s time for all three to move on.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You need to be careful with what veterans you keep. They need to be productive players. The Oilers only have a few players that are productive and they are all youthful. The older players that they brought in are not productive and yet they eat up a lot of cap space. 

You need a mix of all ages but they all need to be producing at a high level. Offensively and defense wise. They also need to be paid according to what they produce or your team ends up with cap troubles. Edler needs to be paid accordingly and you do not want to be stuck in a position where you must protect him in the expansion draft.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

You need to be careful with what veterans you keep. They need to be productive players. The Oilers only have a few players that are productive and they are all youthful. The older players that they brought in are not productive and yet they eat up a lot of cap space. 

You need a mix of all ages but they all need to be producing at a high level. Offensively and defense wise. They also need to be paid according to what they produce or your team ends up with cap troubles. Edler needs to be paid accordingly and you do not want to be stuck in a position where you must protect him in the expansion draft.

I agree, you have to have the right vets.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Old, and declining core veterans are not what a rebuilding team needs.  We have a young developing new core.  We need veteran pieces supporting that young core, but not being part of it.  Edler, Tanev, Sutter we’re part of the previous core, and should not be part of our next core group.  It’s time for all three to move on.  

I think there is a fine line between letting the youth play on their own and having some veteran presence. I really believe our young forwards are stifled a bit without veterans on their lines and even more so on the PP. I really think another year with Vanek playing alongside Boes and Petey would have been beneficial for them.

I don't think trading our top two Dmen would help our goalies or our young dmen in any way. Hughes is going to have to learn how to play in the NHL and I would rather he be eased in slowly and not have to play top minutes, while he is still learning.

We need to be patient as the young guys will push out the vets soon enough but we are not there yet.

16 hours ago, Dungass said:

What have the vets on this team gotten us the past five years except the second worst record in the entire league.  I seriously don't get the reluctance.  

Exactly!!! The vets have still made us a bottom feeder team, yet we should keep them all and not ask them to waive their ntc. JB either has no balls or he is just too nice of a guy to be a GM.

July 1 some agents are salivating looking at our cap space and asking for ntc and $ up front in signing bonus etc from JB. He gives in every summer

16 hours ago, Dungass said:

What have the vets on this team gotten us the past five years except the second worst record in the entire league.  I seriously don't get the reluctance.  

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Exactly!!! The vets have still made us a bottom feeder team, yet we should keep them all and not ask them to waive their ntc. JB either has no balls or he is just too nice of a guy to be a GM.

July 1 some agents are salivating looking at our cap space and asking for ntc and $ up front in signing bonus etc from JB. He gives in every summer

We are competitive when healthy and questionable when not. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

We are competitive when healthy and questionable when not. Simple as that.

And that's a big part of the problem, the vets can't stay healthy.  Edler and Tanev can barely put together a full season between the two of them, never mind Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, etc.

2 minutes ago, Dungass said:

And that's a big part of the problem, the vets can't stay healthy.  Edler and Tanev can barely put together a full season between the two of them, never mind Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, etc.

Agreed,but I wouldn't want to see what a FULL SEASON without them looks like. It would be U-G-L-Y!!!!!!

Archived