20 save shut out vs 50 shot 1 GA game

weak 3rd assist vs an end to end rush that Loui Ericksson fails to finish

didn't Nilsson get an assist recently?

At the end of the season, or career, the best forwards score the most points

the best D have the highest + rating 

the best goalies get the most wins

and the best teams win the most Cups

everything else is just excuses

Erik Karlsson, top 3 dman in this league the last 7 years, is a career minus player. That took me 1 google search based off of a hunch. I can start digging whenever you want. 

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Erik Karlsson, top 3 dman in this league the last 7 years, is a career minus player. That took me 1 google search based off of a hunch. I can start digging whenever you want. 

I was thinking of using him as an example also.

maybe you can make an allstar team of - players

that would be interesting

I'll make one of + players 

then we can compare

On 26/10/2018 at 6:52 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

My point is that +/- without any interpretation is absolute garbage. Plugs on playoff teams are pluses, stars on bottom teams are minuses. It literally means nothing.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/just-how-horse-$&!#-is-the-nhls-official-plus-minus-stat

30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would much rather see a stat similar to baseball where if you commit an "error" it will be recorded. Doesn't matter if a goal is scored or not because then you are relying on another players performance. This would be a more accurate stat that would make the player solely responsible for the stat.

If you cough up the puck, you are out of position on a play and even if you commit an infraction such as hooking and tripping. If you are hooking or tripping you are not checking your opponent correctly. This would definitely make each player more accountable.

17 hours ago, lmm said:

At the end of the season, or career, the best forwards score the most points

Fun comparison - the last great Soviet line:

Federov:  1248 GP   //  483 G, 696 A, 1179 TP  //    .94 PPG    // +261

Mogilny:     990 GP  //  473 G, 559 A, 1032 TP. //  1.04 PPG    //    +81

Bure:           702 GP  //  437 G,  342 A,  779 TP. //  1.11 PPG    //    +42

Points?  Or points per game?

Federov was never a minus player with Detroit.  He was a minus, 6 of the 7 seasons after he left them!!

13 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I’m pretty sure if you understand the type of player, how he is used by a team, and where that team is in the standings , you’ll know exactly what his +/- stat represents.  Guys don’t rack up -30 stats year after year because they are victims of circumstance .

+/- is a stat where all surrounding context needs to be accounted for to truly be useful, yeah. 

23 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I would much rather see a stat similar to baseball where if you commit an "error" it will be recorded. Doesn't matter if a goal is scored or not because then you are relying on another players performance. This would be a more accurate stat that would make the player solely responsible for the stat.

If you cough up the puck, you are out of position on a play and even if you commit an infraction such as hooking and tripping. If you are hooking or tripping you are not checking your opponent correctly. This would definitely make each player more accountable.

That is a lot easier in baseball where an error is very clear. In hockey it would be so subjective. Blown d play or great o play?

Hit stats are useless because every building is so different in how they record hits. Wasn’t Vegas leading the league by multiple factors on hit stats because their stats guy didn’t really conform with the rest of the league. Errors would be even worse. 

‘Probably closest thing we have are zone entries and exits. Giveaway, take aways  as well are sort of similar. 

‘Maybe some of the more advanced stat weenies can comment further. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a lot easier in baseball where an error is very clear. In hockey it would be so subjective. Blown d play or great o play?

Hit stats are useless because every building is so different in how they record hits. Wasn’t Vegas leading the league by multiple factors on hit stats because their stats guy didn’t really conform with the rest of the league. Errors would be even worse. 

‘Probably closest thing we have are zone entries and exits. Giveaway, take aways  as well are sort of similar. 

‘Maybe some of the more advanced stat weenies can comment further. 

some how I turned the injury thread into a +/- thread.

I'm sorry

Archived