The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I realize this won't be the popular viewpoint around here - but the fact that Calgary's response to the Gudbranson hit on Dube - which was nowhere near as severe and without intent to injure - ie a hockey play that turned into a mis-timed / bad hit - resulted in (what may be a relatively severe) head injury to Hamonic - might give pause to the dominant assumption that the appropriate response to these incidents is to chase that player down and exact some revenge.

We all would have liked to see a 'response' - but the reality is that sometimes those 'responses' spill over - don't end in the intended result - and lead to conflating the problem.

In this case - the team legitimately appears to have been relatively unaware of what happened at the time - as it was not really in the heart of the play, but occured after Pettersson centered the puck to Eriksson.   Ideally someone saw what happened, and sent a 'message' to Matheson.  However, the reality is that the message doesn't always result in the intended effect - as was clearly the case when Hamonic's response resulted in a broken face for him.  

Would we all feel better today if Goldobin had seen what happened, picked a fight with Matheson and also wound up with a concussion?

Part of the problem with hockey fights is how much risk in involved to both parties - bare fist, on ice where players have been more severely injured by the ice at the end of a fight as by the fight itself, helmets to break hands on, and the fact there are no weight classes.   None of those conditions exist in mixed martial arts and yet, nevertheless countless concussions occur regardless - and those guys are 'prize fighters' not hockey players, who less and less are pugilists.

We can debate about what the response should have been - and very few of us would want to see a lack of response....

But one thing that's clear to me at this point - as it has turned out - the test/onus is now clearly in the hands of the DoPeS - this has landed squarely in their 'court' - and as far as I'm concerned, their leniency is a large part of why these incidents still occur with the frequency they do.  If anyone repeatedly fails to send a "message" it's them imo.  Count me among those with low expectations of them - that hopes to be proved wrong.

Are you implying since you're quoting me that I went around on the board and said Canucks should run after Matheson? Because I haven't said that once yet actually, the only thing I said was I think they should of lined him up for a hit, not chase him and pull a Bertuzzi like many on here have kind of suggested.

I've actually stated many times I believe it was an unfortunate injury on a play that does happen more then what people think, I've seen Gudbranson do the same thing before, but people weren't calling for him to be suspended. There should of been a roughing or interference call on the play no doubt, because the puck wasn't there anymore and this is why Canucks players didn't really pay attention to what happened they were concentrating on where the puck was. It wasn't like Pettersson was skating to get lined up with a dirty hit where everyone sees that stuff right away, this was a roughing up a player behind the play, that you don't normally see a concussion come out of it, just very unfortunate.

Maybe DOPS does something maybe they just issue a warning, surprised actually nothing has been released to the public yet about his hearing... It's already 5pm on the east coast they should of had this hearing by now. I honestly though see 2 sides of the issue if anything happens, one if you suspend him then I think it will upset a lot of players because many do believe he was just trying to rough him up but not try to injure, so it will confuse a lot of players. What if you're pushing a player infront of your net to protect it and he falls and hits his head, you weren't trying to injure him but it happened so they suspend him now too or just stop players from pushing guys away from infront of your net, because they don't want to risk it happening again. Second is they give him a warning instead because his intent was to rough him up and not intentionally injure him, tell him yes NHL is a physical sport and we want guys to be physical, but we can have you roughing guys up like that after you've already made hit, this is your warning so we shouldn't see you do this kind of stuff again, and if you do then you will be suspended.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Have you been to those loser cities in the winter, or felt the stinking heat in the summer in TO, or the giant bugs in Calgary in their summer?  Every city in Canada, except the east coast, like Halifax, are jealous of us, because we get livable weather in all seasons, and they don't.  They are stuck inside, and are watching us count our flowers in winter.  In summer they get eaten alive by giant bugs.  I don't blame them for their jealousy.  I would be jealous too, if I was stuck in either of those two pimples on the arse of the world. 

Putting down other Canadian cities when our own city has more than its fair share of pitfalls only makes us look arrogant and conceited.

I don't care where this douchbag Francis is based...Calgary, Toronto, LA, NYC, New Orleans, Mexico City, Shanghai, wherever...the bottom line is comments like that from him are beyond inappropriate and he should be disciplined by his radio station. A young innocent player was that close to suffering a career-ending and life-changing injury and this Francis guy finds it necessary to see humor in that.

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Are you implying

?

No -  I actually upvoted your post.

I think you're misinterpreting my post wadr - it's not a 'criticism' of yours - it's supportive / points regarding Carcillo's comments - which you appeared to agree with? 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sure looks like the definiton of petty retaliation over being manhandled by Gudbranson (not knowing if there's a larger context to this - but regardless, it looks highly inappropriate).

I'm glad Dube was not injured.

And it's really unfortunate that the result of Hamonic standing up for him was a concussion.

But this is beneath Francis.   Ironically, Gudbranson apologized immediately for the hit on Dube - knew it was a bad hit.

We'll see if Francis has anywhere near the class of EGud.

I would say there was a lot of celebrating about Hamonic's injury.  As we saw on saturday and Sunday, canucks fans can make anyone look good

I don't know which is more repulsive - this media clown who thinks a dirty play that causes a concussion to this year's Calder favourite is funny, or the various "fans" on CDC who are ignoring the body slam that caused the injury and yammering on about how hits are part of the game, and this was EP's fault for not protecting himself. No actually, I do know - the "fans" who claim that there was no problem with what Matheson did are the most repulsive. I think those "fans" should stick with watching MMA.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

No -  I actually upvoted your post.

I think you're misinterpreting my post wadr - it's not a 'criticism' of yours - it's supportive / points regarding Carcillo's comments - which you appeared to agree with? 

Alright gotcha fair enough, just wasn't sure that's why I asked, because you seemed to respond to it with how the Canucks response was or lack of it, but that had nothing to do with my quote, so was just curious that's all, all good!

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say there was a lot of celebrating about Hamonic's injury.  As we saw on saturday and Sunday, canucks fans can make anyone look good

Sorry, but I could not care less what random Canucks fans said/thought about the Hamonic injury.   Each person is only responsible for their own comments - I don't share an 'identity' with every Canucks 'fan' and can't be bothered to be 'embarrassed'.   Any random sample of any teams 'fans' can make anyone 'look good'.

This isn't about fans in a GDT on a message board in any event - the attention is nowhere near the same.

Nor do the comments of whomever you may be referring to make apologism for Francis' comments appropriate.  What 'professionals' say in their capacity as SN talking heads is not held to the same standard - I think that's what this thread is about - not 'fans'.

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Really we saw radio hosts celebrating that someone got injured and had a contest for fans to win tickets if they came up with a name for the finishing punch that injured Hamonic? 

32 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’ve never liked Francis. Classless and brainless might sell newspapers but no decent human being should aspire to such standards.

What a joke.

Unfortunately, much of our media is turning into the "Americanization" style of broadcasting....with sports, they are trying to be the entertainment, rather than reporting on it...

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sent the following email to Sportsnet:

I am appalled that you are providIng a platform for this unprofessional buffoon to make inexcusable jokes about head injuries, especially when the injury is a result of a dirty play.  This is unprofessional and should be considered grounds for immediate termination of employment.

Given that you are the sole broadcaster for the Canucks, I'll still be watching your broadcasts.  However, I will make sure I do not patronize any of your advertisers until you do the right thing and fire Francis.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Really, as Canuck fans we should be emailing Sportsnet in an effort to get this clown off the air. Edit. Email sent. This guy is a complete moron. 

2 hours ago, rychicken said:

which addy did you use? Was it this one?
feedback@sportsnet.rogers.com

Found this if you want to contact 960 one directly.

Contest and Open Phone Lines for 960

Local calls: 403-240-4444
Cell phone: *960 on Rogers Wireless
Text us: 960960

General Inquiries regarding SN 960 The FAN Radio in Calgary

You can email Program Director Kelly Kirch at kelly.kirch@rci.rogers.com
Switchboard: 403-246-9696

Archived