The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Matheson suspended 2 games

I figured 2-3 games was fair for this. I'd have preferred the 3 (that Petey will lose), but can live with two begrudgingly.

Matheson was a tool, and he's being punished. He'll also get his in-game punishment at the return trip I'm sure, but this should prevent another "no league punishment so here's all we've got" on one of their guys pound of flesh moments.

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1m1 minute ago

Video explanation from @NHLPlayerSafety deems it “interference and unsportsmanlike.” Also says a stick and pin followed by a push to the ice can be a legal maneuver but “this is not such a play.” Deemed the hit into the boards and forceful push to the ice as two separate plays.

And since the puck was long gone after the initial hit, the push was unnecessary and is deemed both interference and unsportsmanlike conduct on a play that caused injury.

In my mind, Matheson's hit was clean but the body slam was not. Had he just skated away after the hit, Petersson probably doesn't end up on the concussion protocol. If all things go well, Petersson only misses two games (maybe 5 max). I was thinking 3 games would be the ideal punishment for Matheson but 2 is good enough.

Just wishing Petersson a speedy and proper recovery and that it isn't as serious as some may think it is.

Not long enough for a deliberate attempt to injure. This wasn't a situation of accidental, slightly questionable contact or a hit that was a "little" late. This was a guy who was looking to hurt another player. Should be the 5 games maximum that can be done with phone interview.

There should be some type of note that a ref was right there and no call for a penalty was made,if you don't see the [play as a ref that's one thing) but if you are right there and don't call a penalty, the LEAGUE should look at your reffing ability and maybe move you down to pee wee or bantem until you learn how to be a FAIR REF.

It was in Florida and he didn't want ot put the home team at a disadvantage and get the fans mad at him,if you are unable to do this you do not deserve to be a NHL REF.

Archived