The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Matheson suspended 2 games

Between the usual Twitter brigade saying Matheson did nothing wrong and Dan Murphy posting that dumbass "slew foot" clip, I was worried it'd just be a fine. 

This doesn't bring EP back, or decrease my desire to see Matheson get pasted, but at least the NHL recognized that was some bush league $&!#. 

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I can llive with it. No history on Matheson to warrant a much longer suspension. DoPS manages to cool things off a bit by suspending a viscous play, and demonstrates that WWE moves aren't acceptable. 

Yeah it's fair tbh I didn't think they would suspend him actually, but I'm definitely okay with sending the message to the rest of the NHL no more roughing a guy up after you've made the play and the puck is gone, now the real question will be consistency from the NHL, will it only be addressed when someone is injured or all the time...

1 minute ago, DADDYROCK said:

There should be some type of note that a ref was right there and no call for a penalty was made,if you don't see the [play as a ref that's one thing) but if you are right there and don't call a penalty, the LEAGUE should look at your reffing ability and maybe move you down to pee wee or bantem until you learn how to be a FAIR REF.

It was in Florida and he didn't want ot put the home team at a disadvantage and get the fans mad at him,if you are unable to do this you do not deserve to be a NHL REF.

I think the Ref might have been following the puck and when he looked back, assumed that Pettersson just stumbled and fell after the push into the boards. I don't think he saw the body slam.

As long as someone breaks Matheson's nose on Jan 13th, all will be right in the universe again!

16 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Now everyone should move on.

Seriously

Hope EP gets better.

Have team focus on winning.

Damn, there goes the voice of reason.

All right everyone, put away the angry villager supplies and let's look forward to seeing Gaudette back in the lineup on Tuesday!

Better than I expected.

There still needs to be a retribution the next time we play them. 

Whenever Matheson has the puck, nail him hard, even if it is borderline on boarding penalty.

My guess is that Matheson will be cautious and will try to get rid of the puck as soon as it touches his stick or even avoid it all throughout the game, so one of the players will have to challenge him to a fight.

EP scores 5 goals. 

This is a disappointing ruling.  The extra shots after a hit is not acceptable.  Should be a 5 gamer but I'm a biased however the league can be biased against us so what do we expect, 2 gamer suspension.   At least the eastern media wants to see what EP40 can do so the league gives them the biscuit by suspending Matherson.  IT also send a message that EP40 is untouched.  

a tv show from back east is on right now and the guys are just ripping the hit saying player safety are basically goofs, there shouldn't be a suspension.  Pettersson just fell. grrr! if it was a leafs player all hell would break loose. 

26 minutes ago, samurai said:

The team cannot win without him - we will lose the next 2 at least

But but it will be "lucky" Brock going up against Pittsburgh and Matt Murray.

I guess Matt "can't keep himself healthy" Murray is hurt again so Brock only scores 2 goals instead of 3?

Happy that he got 2 games (was expecting a fine like when Shea Weber smashed some guy's head into the glass a few years back)... but I thought for sure the NHL could have given out more.  The NHL could have bunged this up huge, but I think they actually did an okay job.  Canucks still need to make sure Matheson knows that kind of crap won't be happening again.  A few big hits from Virtanen, Rousell, Gudbranson in January should get the message through.

I had only a little problem with the initial hit; these guys know they are playing a very physical sport, and they are going to get hit. The replay sure looks like Matheson made a deliberate hit, but then again, he also was playing his position correctly and taking his man.

I have a huge problem with the WWE style takedown. That was a bush league move, one that I wouldn't even expect in the BC Ball hockey leagues. A proper punishment there would be...let Matheson play until Pete comes back. Then suspend him, without pay, for the same amount of games that Pete misses. That would get a lot of people's attention. If the NHL truly wants better press, then crap like this, when it gets aired to the general public in the US that doesn't know the difference between icing and offsides, has got to go away.

As far as the team taking umbrage to the hit...the guys that were on the ice at the time are not exactly known for their physicality. I would imagine that they know that the refs, seeing a star player injured, are going to watch for "retribution" a lot closer. Do the retaliation in a way that will matter; have Virt apply some of his reverse hits, have Roussell pester the hell of him next time, etc. Make him know he is persona non grata in Vancouver. Yes, I do kinda miss the days when guys like Tiger Willams or Dave Semenko would have plastered Matheson all over the ice. I'm more pissed that the refs didn't make a call. You can see one basically looking at the very end of the takedown. Why in hell he didn't call a major for roughing, at least, is beyond me.

Archived