The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paul Bernardo to seek Parole Wednesday Oct. 17

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

My honest imo I believe he shouldn't be allowed parole and should rot in jail.

Paul Bernardo to seek parole Wednesday after 25 years in prison

Convicted killer and rapist Bernardo, 54, became eligible for parole in February

Paul Bernardo, whose very name became synonymous with sadistic sexual perversion, is expected to plead for release on Wednesday by arguing he has done what he could to improve himself during his 25 years in prison, mostly in solitary confinement.

Designated a dangerous offender, Bernardo, 54, became eligible for parole in February but has so far not been allowed beyond the confines of his maximum security prison in eastern Ontario.

Bernardo's parole hearing at the Bath Institution is expected to attract numerous observers, most of whom will have to watch via a videolink. The hearing also comes almost two weeks after the prosecution withdrew a weapon-possession charge against him related to the discovery of a screw attached to a ballpoint pen handle in his cell.

Defence lawyer Fergus (Chip) O'Connor did not respond Tuesday to a request to discuss his client's bid for freedom. However, at the aborted weapon trial this month, he outlined the pitch Bernardo was expected to make to the National Parole Board panel.

"He's as horrified as you and I are at what he did," O'Connor said. "I expect that he will take full responsibility, express remorse, and he appears to be sincere in that."

While isolation has limited available programming, Bernardo has made a "determined effort not to make up for what he's done — for that can never be done — but to improve himself" and has been of good behaviour in "very hard conditions" of confinement, O'Connor said.

Bernardo's crimes over several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, some of which he videotaped, sparked widespread terror and revulsion.

Among them, Bernardo and his then-wife Karla Homolka kidnapped, tortured and killed Leslie Mahaffy, 14, of Burlington, Ont., in June 1991 at their home in Port Dalhousie, Ont., before dismembering her body, encasing her remains in cement and dumping them in a nearby lake. Dubbed the "Scarborough rapist," Bernardo also tortured and killed Kristen French, 15, of St. Catharines, Ont., in April 1992 after keeping her captive for three days.

Bernardo was ultimately convicted in 1995 of the first-degree murders of the two teens and numerous sexual assaults. He was given life without parole eligibility until he had served 25 years since his arrest in early 1993.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/paul-bernardo-parole-hearing-1.4865061

Update: Parole Denied

Ontario killer and rapist Paul Bernardo denied parole

A National Parole Board panel has decided Paul Bernardo will remain behind bars. The Ontario rapist and killer was denied Wednesday in his first attempt at getting parole.

The decision was announced soon after the mothers of two of Bernardo's victims and a woman who survived an attack read impact statements to the panel, and Bernardo spoke. 

Debbie Mahaffy told the hearing that today has been an "emotional hell" for her, because she had to be in the same room as her daughter's killer. 

"I don't want to be here," Mahaffy said at the hearing in Millhaven Correctional Centre, east of Bath, Ont. "I do not want to be in the same room [with Bernardo]. I do not want to participate. Yet, here I am."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/bernardo-parole-mahaffy-french-1.4866556

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Just leave him in prison.  I doubt after 25 years in the clink, he's somehow a newer and better man.  It's a bit odd that he is even eligible for parole.  What more do you have to do in Canada to get locked up for life?

In Canada, life sentences are eligible for parole after 25 years. However, that does not mean you get paroled after 25 years. For example, Clifford Olson was denied parole every 2 years until he died. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

In Canada, life sentences are eligible for parole after 25 years. However, that does not mean you get paroled after 25 years.

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think that he will get a similar treatment to that of Clifford Olson.  And the crazy bastard will get all kinds of enjoyment out of watching the response to him getting a parole hearing.  

His accomplice/ex-wife got a plea deal and only served 12 years.  Now she's volunteering at a private elementary school and anyone who complains gets their children booted from the school.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/greaves-academy-parents-who-criticized-karla-homolka-say-school-asked-them-to-leave

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Just leave him in prison.  I doubt after 25 years in the clink, he's somehow a newer and better man.  It's a bit odd that he is even eligible for parole.  What more do you have to do in Canada to get locked up for life?

not really, in Canada you can be deemed a dangerous offender and get an indeterminate sentence that can go on forever which is the case for Bernardo. But it comes with a formality in the law that the case has to be reviewed every so often. He has zero chance of ever getting out. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not really, in Canada you can be deemed a dangerous offender and get an indeterminate sentence that can go on forever which is the case for Bernardo. But it comes with a formality in the law that the case has to be reviewed every so often. He has zero chance of ever getting out. 

Hopefully you guys are right.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Hopefully you guys are right.

oh there's no doubt whatsoever on this one. 

I can understand the angst over his ex-wife though. Not sure what the hell that school is thinking but its their choice unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

His accomplice/ex-wife got a plea deal and only served 12 years.  Now she's volunteering at a private elementary school and anyone who complains gets their children booted from the school.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/greaves-academy-parents-who-criticized-karla-homolka-say-school-asked-them-to-leave

That's just disgusting, I hope the parents sue. 

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not sure what they can sue for.  It's a private school.

I think the lesson there is you might want to ask at the next PTA meeting if there are any convicted criminals working at your school. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the lesson there is you might want to ask at the next PTA meeting if there are any convicted criminals working at your school. 

They even ran a criminal background check on her before they let her work at the school as a volunteer.  What amazes me is that they are ok with her having actually murdered multiple children in the past.

In the US, you'd get your house burned down or worse by angry parents if you so much as stepped foot on school property let alone volunteer there.

Archived