The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paul Bernardo to seek Parole Wednesday Oct. 17

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I really don't get it, maybe someone there was over sympathetic to her situation somehow? its a head scratcher for sure. 

There's sympathy and there's outright stupidity.  I feel for the starving wolf, but I'm not going to let him watch over my sheep.

funny how we can all agree that this guy should never be allowed to walk free again, yet there is a debate on returning ISIS members who basically did the same crimes as Bernardo and yet not only will they be walking our streets but be given free government paid programs to help them get back into society . . . . :blink:

22 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Call me crazy, but I think someone who kidnaps, tortures, and kills someone, shouldn't be eligible for parole in the first place, even if it's a formality.

Then you will be happy to learn that the faint hope clause was tossed out by Harper's goverment, although it still applies to offences committed before 2011.

The reason behind the clause was essentially to be a carrot for anyone serving a life sentence.  If there's zero chance of parole then they have nothing to lose from being violent in prison.  You can't exactly lengthen a life sentence.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You should read my post again - I said release him to the general prison population which isn't the same as parole.  There's a reason why he's in isolation now - to protect him from the other prisoners getting to him. 

He would be fine in the general population, Canada has one of the lowest murder rates in prisons.

If he was serving time in Brazil, Venezuela, Russia, El Salvador, USA etc.

I would agree that he would have been stabbed, raped, beaten or killed.

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/publications/005007-9002-eng.shtml

I do believe in the ability of the judicial system to reform even the most heinous of offenders. However, Bernardo, does not seem to realize what is wrong with his behaviour. 

https://torontosun.com/2014/07/03/paul-bernardo-to-marry/wcm/7bc4929b-25ca-4e6c-b185-37156d6f087d

From a prison cell, serial sex killer Paul Bernardo has charmed and manipulated an attractive, university-educated woman into planning to marry him, the Toronto Sun has learned.

The 30-year-old London, Ont., woman admitted she has been writing letters to the Scarborough Rapist, telling friends the schoolgirl killer is “innocent” and was a bystander to the rapes and torture slayings of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

Sporting a recent ankle tattoo that says “Paul’s girl” in cursive writing, she has been corresponding with Bernardo since last fall.

Looks like the same manipulating and controlling relationship pattern to me. He also doesn't seem to be taking responsibility for his actions if he is telling his new girlfriend he was just a bystander. 

5 hours ago, taxi said:

I do believe in the ability of the judicial system to reform even the most heinous of offenders. However, Bernardo, does not seem to realize what is wrong with his behaviour. 

https://torontosun.com/2014/07/03/paul-bernardo-to-marry/wcm/7bc4929b-25ca-4e6c-b185-37156d6f087d

Looks like the same manipulating and controlling relationship pattern to me. He also doesn't seem to be taking responsibility for his actions if he is telling his new girlfriend he was just a bystander. 

What the hell is wrong with this woman? She needs serious medical attention.

Archived