The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Liberals to End Solitary Confinement

DonLever

Somewhat related to Paul Bernardo who is in Solitary Confinement

The Federal Liberal government will get rid of Solitary Confinement soon.

From the CBC:

The Liberal government is moving to end the use of solitary confinement in federal prisons.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale tabled legislation Tuesday to establish penitentiary units — to be called Structured Intervention Units (SIU) — that will house inmates separately while still giving them access to rehabilitation, mental health care and other programs.

Under the new SIU model, inmates who can't be safely managed in the mainstream population will receive interventions and programs tailored to their needs. They will also be allowed outside their cells for four hours each day (compared to two under the current administrative segregation model) and will have access to two hours a day of "meaningful human contact."

Eliminating segregation is just one aspect of the bill, which also introduces measures to boost victims' supports and address the specific needs of Indigenous offenders.

Goodale said the new system will hold convicted criminals to account while creating an environment that fosters rehabilitation in order to reduce the number of repeat offenders.

"It is clearly world-leading in terms of the standards within the correctional system," he said. "The passage of this legislation will put Canada in the forefront of progressive, effective correctional systems that achieve safety and security, both inside and outside the institutions, and at the same time achieves the principles of rehabilitation and safe reintegration into society.

Goodale said there will be no "hard cap" on the number of days someone could spend in an SIU. The prison system will retain its power to physically separate dangerous inmates from general population, but those offenders will no longer be deprived of human contact and programs that help them rehabilitate, he said.

According to the bill, an inmate's confinement in an SIU is to end "as soon as possible."

Conservative Public Safety critic Pierre Paul-Hus accused the Liberals of ditching a "common and legitimate safety measure" used by many Western countries to protect prison guards from dangerous inmates.

"It is clear from the tabling of this legislation that the Trudeau Liberals are prioritizing the rights of Canada's most violent and dangerous criminals ahead of the rights of victims," he said in a statement. 

"Instead of changing the Corrections and Conditional Release Act to make sure killers like Terri-Lynn McClintic are kept behind bars, Justin Trudeau is softening the law to make prison time easier for criminals."

Paul-Hus said the Liberal government is demonstrating a "shocking indifference for victims and a disturbing compassion for criminals."

24 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Paul-Hus said the Liberal government is demonstrating a "shocking indifference for victims and a disturbing compassion for criminals."

That's a stupid take. Solitary confinement does nothing for victims, but has actually been proven to lower rehabilitation rates and cause significant damage to the criminals to the point that they're more likely to re-offend once release from prison. I believe that this is a good move by the Liberals. Sure, no one likes to see criminals get "more rights", but realistically, this is better for society in the long run.

Conservatives putting ideology ahead of research.

Sure, Bernardo can go F himself. But Bernardo is not the typical offender in segregation. The typical offender in seg is often in for a minor offense, but has serious mental health problems and can't get along on a regular unit. Unlike Bernardo, this person is going to be released back into the community. Ensuring that this type of person receives proper services is what is going to prevent people from being victimized.

Conservatives like Paul-Hus don't actually care about victims, they just care about public perception. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Typical Liberals soft on crime and they don't want to punish dangerous criminals. Same thing under Chretien, except under Chretien they also received hustler magazines on the tax payers dime. Same old liberals.

Not sure I understand your reasoning.  If solitary confinement isn't shown to be effective, in either correcting behaviour, or more broadly lowering recidivism, according to evidence-based research, then why push for it? 

Good move.

Don't see Solitary confinement really helping convicts rehabilitate.......

Most prisoners will get out of jail someday..... so society is better off if they come out of prison better off  behaviourally than when they entered prison.....

17 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Not sure I understand your reasoning.  If solitary confinement isn't shown to be effective, in either correcting behaviour, or more broadly lowering recidivism, according to evidence-based research, then why push for it? 

It's there as a punishment. Liberals have a history of siding with criminals rather than victims. Just look at the last two major stories from Saskatchewan. Siding with criminals.

If we have no deterrents why even have jails? 

19 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Don't bother with that guy. He does it again and again where he enters a thread, says something ideological rather than evidence-based, and then runs away. He is the type of post-modernist that doesn't care about facts or evidence, just how he feels. In that sense, he is no better that the far left. 

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Don't bother with that guy. He does it again and again where he enters a thread, says something ideological rather than evidence-based, and then runs away. He is the type of post-modernist that doesn't care about facts or evidence, just how he feels. In that sense, he is no better that the far left. 

You mean you? I haven't run away. You have me confused softy. Why don't you head over to the Bernardo thread and call for his parole.

Your post is even more stupid that you think your opinion is all that maters funny that many, many people disagree with you.

This issue essentially boils down into one crucial thing sides, the criminals side and the victims side. I am firmly on the side of the victims, we should spend all of our money placating them than on these... incorrigible villains. :angry:

Sorry guys I am channeling my inner centrist so that I can finally feel worthy enough to vote C-3 on that CDC poll. This thread has grown too one sided therefore I am here to provide some balanced commentary like a good ol' centrist does. -_-

24 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's there as a punishment. Liberals have a history of siding with criminals rather than victims. Just look at the last two major stories from Saskatchewan. Siding with criminals.

If we have no deterrents why even have jails? 

Hmm, you may be on to something there. Why not take it a step further and wall off Manitoba? We can drop felons in there with nothing but a parka and a knife. It’ll be like Fortnite!

Left out is that these changes stem from a report done after that girl died in solitary a while back.

It indicated clearly that SI was more damaging than beneficial and did nothing but cause a form of psychological torture and degrade mental stability.

I'm all for capital punishment but prolonged solitary confinement does nothing for the victim or for the rehabilitation process.

Also...the Cons had a chance back in 2010 ish to close the loophole that would send violent offenders to sweat lodges etc and voted against it.  Using that as a sounding board is highly hypocritical 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Wall? Those things don't actually get built in real life.

Ha!

In all seriousness though, there’s been a glut of studies which have shown that people in long term solitary confinement situations come out way more messed up than when they went in. Unless the plan is to keep inmates in prison forever, I’d rather the people who re-enter society don’t come back with additional mental issues. That’s just from a purely pragmatic perspective as well.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ha!

In all seriousness though, there’s been a glut of studies which have shown that people in long term solitary confinement situations come out way more messed up than when they went in. Unless the plan is to keep inmates in prison forever, I’d rather the people who re-enter society don’t come back with additional mental issues. That’s just from a purely pragmatic perspective as well.

I'm not necessarily saying long term. It should be there as a deterrent and a punishment. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Good move.

Don't see Solitary confinement really helping convicts rehabilitate.......

Most prisoners will get out of jail someday..... so society is better off if they come out of prison better off  behaviourally than when they entered prison.....

I would love to see the evidence that prison makes people a better person

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

I would love to see the evidence that prison makes people a better person

We all would. Sadly the way our prisons are run..... probably the opposite is true.

Rehab is expensive.........   but of course recidivism  is also costly... Pay now or pay even more  later is the way i see it...

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

We all would. Sadly the way our prisons are run..... probably the opposite is true.

Rehab is expensive.........   but of course recidivism  is also costly... Pay now or pay even more  later is the way i see it...

True, I’m just not sure the government would be effective (at the expense of tax payers) to make people slightly improved members of society; if that is even possible.  Depends on how much investment to how much actual benefit.  Remember the government sucks at everything

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not necessarily saying long term. It should be there as a deterrent and a punishment. 

The problem with excessive punishment is you also punish the victims when the prisoner finishes his sentence and becomes a repeat offender. 

Punishment does nothing to deter crime. Rather, it increases it. 

Jail itself is a punishment, you've taken away a person's freedom. Might as well rehabilitate them while they are in there, so that they do not commit further crimes when they are released.

i'll take the mugger who gets 1 year in prison and gets rehabilitated back into society over the mugger who gets 3 years, gets released, and proceeds to start mugging people again. 

Archived