[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Oct. 16, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Edler for Norris.

Loui for Selke

Nilly for Vezina

Elias for Calder

Just have to win the cup this year.

Tank nation needs to wake up and jump on the bandwagon before it's too late. Don't be caught like a fool jumping on way too late.

I repeat... All of Tank Nation... ABORT MISSION. JUMP SHIP!

Oh Apollo - you always manage to bring a smile to my face - forever the optimist

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I was curious as soon as a poster said that edler was leading the league in blocked shots by a wide margin, so I did some wuick research to provide you guys with this beauty of a stat right here 

CB44ABE6-A895-4AB9-8F19-907AE686BDFD.png

My fantasy team thanks Edler for his services. He was solid for me in the latter part of the season and decided to draft him in the later rounds as a steal and he has sure paid his dividends as an early candidate for steal of the draft.

18 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Great team win - must instill some confidence in the boys

Winterpig next? and home to the big bad bruins

Not a bad road trip at all

See you Thursday

It was just a fortnight ago? :huh: 

Laine was sayin they could handle their video games! We'll see?

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I was curious as soon as a poster said that edler was leading the league in blocked shots by a wide margin, so I did some wuick research to provide you guys with this beauty of a stat right here 

Sorry to disappoint you but BS doesn't mean blocked shots, it means bullsh*t said about you by your own fanbase on a per/game basis.    

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Alex and Chris in the top ten and Alex with 5 assists. That’s not bad at all. 

5 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Edler has been fantastic this year.  He has made a handful of clearing pass mistakes but who doesn't playing that much, and against some damn good competition. 

You Edler lovers have always been in denial its ridiculous lol

Look the guy is playing decent mostly at shot blocking (sometimes hurts more than helps) and pk but definitely hasn't been as good as Tanev and Stecher there's no way and that's why I brought this stuff up earlier in the first place.

Just a handful of clearing mistakes? You must be blind or in denial.

The guy has made horrible useless mistakes leading to 2 pivotal first goals against in 2 of 6 games alone! Our team is notorious for giving up the 1st goal and for a young team that's the last thing you need to start the night and I'd expect much better out of a well paid veteran than that.

I also remember another goal against he didn't clear his man in front screening the goalie in one game.

His passing has been pretty bad for the most part, he's taken a couple penalties, done bad powerplay work messing up several drop passes and very ineffective after setting up in the offensive zone with bad passes and shots and is also -1 on a 4-2  team and hasn't scored a goal for a team that's scored quite a few goals this season and been.given a tonne of opportunities to do that.

Just had the chance to watch that game.

Granlund Schaller Motte were outstanding - and so were Sutter Virtanen Roussel.

Fun team to watch now.  The bottom six is just so solid - even in the absence of Beagle - they shut down the Crosby and Malkin lines impressively.

Tanev and Edler as well - all these guys getting in the 20-30% offensive zone range - and giving up so little in the way of quality scoring chances against.

But really, the entire team is playing solid defensive hockey - tight, team systems.  Love watching that - particularly when half the group is so young. 

Liked all the pairings in this game.

Nice to see Ben Hutton coming out of a shell.   Don't really care about the pinch mistake that gave up the odd man rush and tying goal - it wasn't a great decision, particularly with three minutes remaining (but somewhat understandable the way the play developed).   I'll take him making the odd mistake without the puck, as what's more important imo is that he's improving where he was struggling - which was with the puck on his stick / puck moving.   He's not making the passive, hesitant mistakes - and he's carrying the puck like he's able to, which opens the ice up and it's no mystery he wound up ending his goal drought and nearly adding a second. 

Schaller certainly deserves a particular shout out after that game imo.

7 hits - and a whole lot of excellent forechecking puck pressure.

28.6% ozone starts, 55% corsi with a couple points and +1 in that shutdown role.  He, Granlund and Motte were great all night long.

8 hours ago, pushfrog7 said:

For what it's worth, yesterday's game was one of the more impressive games that the Canucks have played in my recent memory. They got a win, on the road, against a Stanley Cup contender without two of their starting centers and after two days of stewing over the Pettersson hit. By no means was it a perfect win. The shot clock tells that though the Canucks worked hard in the third, the Penguins worked harder, Hutton and Gudbranson had a major defensive gaffe each on the game-tying goal by Pittsburgh, and someone would be in the hospital if "each time the Canucks ice the puck" was a requirement to anyone's Tuesday night hockey drinking game. But I am incredibly proud of what the Canucks were able to pull off in Pittsburgh.

Over the past few days, I've seen a lot of fan backlash over the Canucks' perceived lack of toughness by not responding to the Pettersson hit. My personal bias is that a team can't react to something they didn't see. However, anything more I would say about the Pettersson hit has already been said. I would like to put forward that the culture the Sedins left behind is still alive and well in this year's Canucks in that the Sedins showed that there is more than one way to battle and to be tough. To me, that's what the Canucks' slogan of "Battle" means this year. To me, it doesn't mean that guys like Roussel or Gudbranson will be out there every night face-washing players, dropping the gloves, and chirping the opponent's benches in between whistles. To me, it means that the Canucks knew that no one out there was really taking them seriously during the off-season, no one really expected them to succeed, no one really thought they would be doing anything other than Lose for Hughes. To battle means to play games like last night and if the Canucks do that again and again this year, that's what makes me proud to be a fan.

Although I could really, really do with a few less icings. 

I really wanted to leave this topic, but then you bring up the Sedins to make your case for pacifism.  Had the Sedins had the kind of protection Gretzky had, they might still be playing for a couple of years.

5 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Look 5 points is decent but I'd actually argue that Edler could have more points if he hit the net more often, made some better decisions in the offensive zone, connected on passes better, had the ability to move in closer to attack without getting caught with his slow foot speed, was better in the neautral zone and opposition blue line helping the forwards out more. 

To be honest I really think if Green was to give Hutton or Stecher the chance in that spot on the powerplay they'd have as many points or more and be much effective at getting the puck out of theirs and into the offensive zone which would definitely create more offense for this team in general.

Look I don't want to just cut the guy down Edler has finally thankfully improved defensively and commits far less blunders over the last season or so and think Green has a lot to do with that because I'm positive he had lots of private conversations with him telling him to get his act together but Edler deserves some credit for these improvements.

For me Edler definitely hasn't done anything special offensively especially considering who he's had the opportunity to play with and all the minutes he's given mostly due to the team weak left side options. 

Edler has done some noticable good things for the team probably the things some fans only see things like the shots blocked, good pass on Beartschi breakaway goal, some good PK work but for just as many good things Edler is doing you can noticeably see the bad plays that lead to goals agains this season and also some real poor passing and decision making that's hampered the teams ability to produce more on the powerplay and 5 on 5.

Really at the end of the day to me he's been pretty average as a whole weighing in all the good and bad and there's definitely a lot of room for improvement in all 3 zones. 

Agree to disagree on point production. Less then 20 defensemen in the NHL have 5 or more points. Asking Edler for even 1 more point in this young season would put him in the top 8 of scoring instead of tied for 5th overall. That single extra point would also leave him at 2nd on the Canucks in scoring, surpassing Baer who he currently is tied for 2nd with. If Edler were to maintain this rate of scoring he would be on pace for a 67 point season. That would place him 4 points above Doug Lidster for the most points in a season by a D man, our franchise record.

While I agree with much of what you said, I don't expect anything more from Edler, let alone even expect him to be able to keep up this pace.

5 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

My fantasy team thanks Edler for his services. He was solid for me in the latter part of the season and decided to draft him in the later rounds as a steal and he has sure paid his dividends as an early candidate for steal of the draft.

I wonder what edlers stats were for blocked shots in previous years?  I'm suspicious of edler turning it around. 

4 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Could it be that Edler blocks so many shots because he is too slow to get out of the way?  Just kidding!  If they need an emergency goalie they can stick him in between the pipes.

It’s okay, he’s just as good at firing pucks into the other guy’s pads - just an Edler thing.  Humour only, overall he’s having a good start - just hope he can stay healthy.

47 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Agree to disagree on point production. Less then 20 defensemen in the NHL have 5 or more points. Asking Edler for even 1 more point in this young season would put him in the top 8 of scoring instead of tied for 5th overall. That single extra point would also leave him at 2nd on the Canucks in scoring, surpassing Baer who he currently is tied for 2nd with. If Edler were to maintain this rate of scoring he would be on pace for a 67 point season. That would place him 4 points above Doug Lidster for the most points in a season by a D man, our franchise record.

While I agree with much of what you said, I don't expect anything more from Edler, let alone even expect him to be able to keep up this pace.

I'd like to see Edler get more goals over the last season or so considering all the chances he gets but he doesn't look dangerous at all he looks more dangerous in that he's going to get caught up ice on short handed goals against actually how he moves the puck around and shoots like he's in slow motion and there's a lot of anxious moments when he's pressured on the line knowing how horribly slow he is lol.

Anyway yes I don't expect him to keep that pace because it's not likely the team will score as many goals per game as they are now for the rest of the season but I do expect total goals for and the PP to be very good for us this season.  I was one of few that didn't see the drop off in scoring all the doom and gloom fans and media were predicting which will mean just like now he'll get the points just riding the skill of EP Brock and our other skilled talented point producers.

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Also important to note -

Bo Horvat tied for 2nd in blocks (forwards).

Atta Bo!

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I wonder what edlers stats were for blocked shots in previous years?  I'm suspicious of edler turning it around. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4020/

From 09-10 to 17-18, he averages about 126.2 blocks a year and that's not including this year. He had a career high 203 just last year. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/edleral01.html#

Or if you go back as 07-08 to 17-18, he averages about 118.6 blocks a year not including the 35 from this year.

For the 2012-13 lockout year, he would've had 147.6 blocks that year in an 82 game span.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It was just a fortnight ago? :huh: 

Laine was sayin they could handle their video games! We'll see?

Is there any ramifications for Laine making those comments? Seemed to be joking but he was poking fun at how bad this team was last season. It would be nice to see Virtanen make Laine uncomfortable along the boards all night. 

Archived