The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post When You Are Stoned

Rate this topic

Master 112

Let's ask the crew:

@Blue Jay 22 @luckylager @falcon45ca @Baer.

Is the individual man's freedom being abrogated?

Whimsical, ill-argued, imaginative and entirely baseless responses are encouraged and appreciated, but I expect something meaty and pretentious from Blue Jay that makes constant reference to his new diploma. Bonus points will be awarded for strong opinions.

Edited by 112
1 hour ago, 112 said:

Let's ask the crew:

Whimsical, ill-argued, imaginative and entirely baseless responses are encouraged and appreciated, but I expect something meaty and pretentious from Blue Jay that makes constant reference to his new diploma. Bonus points will be awarded for strong opinions.

Depends. I'm not free and never have been.

I've felt free, but the reality is we're all prisoners on one level or another.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, 112 said:

Let's ask the crew:

What do we mean when we say "freedom"?

It's a complex idea...one could argue that people are enslaved by the need for food, water, shelter, etc. 

Are we talking about the "big brother" culture of modern surveillance, or the economic "credit culture" that finds folks forever making payments?

Edited by falcon45ca
2 hours ago, 112 said:

Let's ask the crew:

It is not a question of freedom but a question of deviating from the norm. People are so afraid of being left out from the crowd. Not being accepted. Making the wrong choice. Individuality has been tossed aside for meaningless conformity, all in the name of professional or monetary or societal gain. The feeling of loss of freedom is a side effect.

Edited by Baer.
  • Cheers 2
4 hours ago, Baer. said:

It is not a question of freedom but a question of deviating from the norm. People are so afraid of being left out from the crowd. Not being accepted. Making the wrong choice. Individuality has been tossed aside for meaningless conformity, all in the name of professional or monetary or societal gain. The feeling of loss of freedom is a side effect.

Interesting way to look at it.

I've always felt free to defy convention, be the sore thumb and find my own crowd; or let it find me.

I've never identified with pop culture, I've always resisted and resented it.

The production line. The machine. The animals that walk their talk are feeble minded muppets, too afraid to actually find what is they're looking for.

If I were truly free I'd bitch slap every crooked ass politician, I'd fist fight cops, take from the banks and never feel like I owed them a damn thing. But that's just not the case.

Freedom is such a blurry topic. A big grey smoke screen actually.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Interesting way to look at it.

I've always felt free to defy convention, be the sore thumb and find my own crowd; or let it find me.

I've never identified with pop culture, I've always resisted and resented it.

The production line. The machine. The animals that walk their talk are feeble minded muppets, too afraid to actually find what is they're looking for.

If I were truly free I'd bitch slap every crooked ass politician, I'd fist fight cops, take from the banks and never feel like I owed them a damn thing. But that's just not the case.

Freedom is such a blurry topic. A big grey smoke screen actually.

If that's what you want just do what the guy in the movie 'into the wild' did. Go live in a bus in the middle of nowhere alaska.

In my case, I felt the most free when I stopped caring what people thought of me. I say what is on my mind brazenly.

Edited by Baer.
  • Cheers 1
11 minutes ago, Baer. said:

If that's what you want just do what the guy in the movie 'into the wild' did. Go live in a bus in the middle of nowhere alaska.

In my case, I felt the most free when I stopped caring what people thought of me. I say what is on my mind brazenly.

Totally. Giving up on society and ceasing to give a &^@# about what anyone thinks of you is very freeing.

I find their frustration fulfilling.

I'm no stranger to the bush either. I miss my bail outs.

Unfortunately society is constructed in such a manner it's impossible for me to bail for any substantial length of time without failing in my obligations to my family and employer.

But hey, I'm free to go ahead and &^@# up my wife and kids lives because I don't want to play anymore, right? 

On 8/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, 112 said:

Let's ask the crew:

Sorry, been very busy lately. Didn’t forget about the question. 

I would say that as long as the power of free will exists, then man will always possess the necessary level of freedom. I would like to think that I am in control of my own actions and control my destiny.

One could argue that this destiny might be conformed with the norms, laws, and other governance rule of land, but I would argue that those who put in the laws of the land, and architects of structured governing systems and laws manifested their destiny to have that right. 

All actions have reactions that result in positive or negative consequence. If I control my actions, I control my future and therefore my freedom.

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I would say that as long as the power of free will exists, then man will always possess the necessary level of freedom. I would like to think that I am in control of my own actions and control my destiny.

One could argue that this destiny might be conformed with the norms, laws, and other governance rule of land, but I would argue that those who put in the laws of the land, and architects of structured governing systems and laws manifested their destiny to have that right. 

All actions have reactions that result in positive or negative consequence. If I control my actions, I control my future and therefore my freedom.

Destiny, luck, karma, call it what they want. It's all bull$&!#. I make my own luck.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Blue Jay 22 said:

man bj this is some serious deep thinking $&!# right here

not stoned btw just been drinking but feel like i still fit in with this thread more than the drinking one

Not pondering the deep much these days.

About 10 years ago I found the deeper I went the more empty everything felt. 

I also believe manifest destiny is too sentimental and definitely not cold enough to be a broad reality. Those born among the elite may be able to believe in such a motto, but we, born into the real world know that that vision is just a mirage.

Edited by luckylager
The "that that". Can't reword it, sorry