The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post When You Are Stoned

Rate this topic

Master 112

17 minutes ago, 112 said:

ooooohhhh I used to read about that stuff. Maybe you know--I've probably made a bunch of references to Greek mythology in the past.

One that's of interest to me is Daedelus and Icarus, although I wouldn't call them my favourite. It's used quite poetically in Malcolm X's autobiography; his interpretation of the myth is that Icarus flew too high and so offended God, and that's why he fell. I'm not religious, but I like how it's used there. Concerning the Labyrinth: I've sometimes felt stuck in one.

On that note, I like the story of the Argonauts because it's strikingly similar in parts to a late addition to the epic of Gilgamesh as well as the Biblical flood story involving Noah. All involve ships, floods and doves. I'm assuming all are of the same origin, but I've never confirmed this through research.

One that's dear to me is Baucis and Philemon.

And I've always been a fan of Homer's Odyssey. I much prefer it to the Iliad because it's the journey of one man instead of the chaos of a great multitude. I think it's much more relatable in that sense; everyone can find something they know in the idea of moving forward, trying to get somewhere. Penelope's Web is a great concept and I envision one day having the perfect opportunity to use it to describe something.

Daedelus and Icarus is great story in that incorporates both aspects of the Greek Comedy and Tragedy. To fly out of a tower in make shift wings, only to get to close to the sun and have a father watch his son's death. 

All great stories.

Few of my favorites:

Atalanta and the Golden Apples:

A young boy falls in love and seeks the favor of the goddess of love. Only in the end to be turned into lions for offending the same powers that gave them their fortune.

King Midas and the Golden Touch:

A king receives a blessing and reward from the wine god, only for his same reward and blessing to be turned on him and reveal his pride and bane. By the end, he hated the gift he coveted.

Just now, 112 said:

Would this mean there's no afterlife or karmic reward system?

It would mean if you believed before, then your reality is that you go into the ground and that's it; no afterlife, no judgment, no higher being of power depending on your life.

And that if you did not believe before, that when you die, there is an afterlife where your soul goes, and you will be judged for your life's actions by a higher being of power than us.

12 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

It would mean if you believed before, then your reality is that you go into the ground and that's it; no afterlife, no judgment, no higher being of power depending on your life.

And that if you did not believe before, that when you die, there is an afterlife where your soul goes, and you will be judged for your life's actions by a higher being of power than us.

Oh. I misread it.

Then I'd be a much better person than I am now.

e.g I wouldn't have yelled at that guy who antagonized me (at the skytrain, not DM)

• Haha 1

Update: I found the tiniest bit of weed. The amount of work I put into finding it was much greater than the bounty I earned--or at least it feels that way,with a lifetime of playing video games messing up the work-reward system in my brain.

@Blue Jay 22 @falcon45ca

Another SkyTrain story (didn't realize how many I have): a couple of years ago, riding it, it came to a stop, and I must have been intoxicated or something, because I blacked out and work up on the floor a split second later. I fell into somebody but didn't realize it, and he let me know, asked if I was all right, etc., when I got up. I felt super bad about it and apologized as well as I could, and he took it really well and didn't seem that upset about it. I think he asked me 'you thinking about making a change?' or something tho so I got scolded a bit. :unsure:

Have you ever done something accidentally to someone--doesn't have to be as bad as getting wasted and falling into them--and were surprised by how well they took it?

Alternatively: favourite stoner music (can be single songs or entire albums/corpuses)?

grats and well done on the paper, BJ

• Cheers 2
1 minute ago, 112 said:

Update: I found the tiniest bit of weed. The amount of work I put into finding it was much greater than the bounty I earned--or at least it feels that way,with a lifetime of playing video games messing up the work-reward system in my brain.

@Blue Jay 22 @falcon45ca

Another SkyTrain story (didn't realize how many I have): a couple of years ago, riding it, it came to a stop, and I must have been intoxicated or something, because I blacked out and work up on the floor a split second later. I fell into somebody but didn't realize it, and he let me know, asked if I was all right, etc., when I got up. I felt super bad about it and apologized as well as I could, and he took it really well and didn't seem that upset about it. I think he asked me 'you thinking about making a change?' or something tho so I got scolded a bit. :unsure:

Have you ever done something accidentally to someone--doesn't have to be as bad as getting wasted and falling into them--and were surprised by how well they took it?

Alternatively: favourite stoner music (can be single songs or entire albums/corpuses)?

First Answer:

When I was 14, I was playing a lacrosse game for my high school's club team. I was Defensemen, who carried 1 of the longer Dmen sticks as opposed to the regular sized sticks. Because it was so long, you could really wind up and get some torque when swinging, shooting, slashing, etc.

In this particular scenario, I was guarding the other team's best attacker and we both chased after a loose ball that was rolling. He was slightly quicker than me, so I knew he would beat me to the ball, which meant I needed to take his stick out of the play. When he went to scoop the ball, I took a two handed chop with my stick aimed at his stick so that it would be impossible for him to scoop the ball. The only problem is I miscalculated the angle, and instead of landing on his stick, I went right on top of his left wrist and broke a bone. 

I felt terrible, even though it was accidental. As someone who has had multiple injuries/surgeries, I knew that I had just given up a long extended vacation from playing a sport that he was good at, and that he would have to go through months of rehabilitation. I went over afterward to apologize. His mom was there too, so immediately I felt awkward. After fumbling out an apology, he told me no worries at all, and his mom remarked that she thought I was a good player. 

I was humbled by their restraint and patience. I don't know if they had ever been in that situation before, or if my apology had gone a long way, but I can't imagine ever acting as calm and collected as they did if the roles were reversed.

2nd Answer:

Something with an incredible bass. Either EDM/Techno, or the kind of rap music that if you play it on your grass, it turns your grass to weed. Wiz is usually my go to in that mood.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

First Answer:

When I was 14, I was playing a lacrosse game for my high school's club team. I was Defensemen, who carried 1 of the longer Dmen sticks as opposed to the regular sized sticks. Because it was so long, you could really wind up and get some torque when swinging, shooting, slashing, etc.

In this particular scenario, I was guarding the other team's best attacker and we both chased after a loose ball that was rolling. He was slightly quicker than me, so I knew he would beat me to the ball, which meant I needed to take his stick out of the play. When he went to scoop the ball, I took a two handed chop with my stick aimed at his stick so that it would be impossible for him to scoop the ball. The only problem is I miscalculated the angle, and instead of landing on his stick, I went right on top of his left wrist and broke a bone. 

I felt terrible, even though it was accidental. As someone who has had multiple injuries/surgeries, I knew that I had just given up a long extended vacation from playing a sport that he was good at, and that he would have to go through months of rehabilitation. I went over afterward to apologize. His mom was there too, so immediately I felt awkward. After fumbling out an apology, he told me no worries at all, and his mom remarked that she thought I was a good player. 

I was humbled by their restraint and patience. I don't know if they had ever been in that situation before, or if my apology had gone a long way, but I can't imagine ever acting as calm and collected as they did if the roles were reversed.

2nd Answer:

Something with an incredible bass. Either EDM/Techno, or the kind of rap music that if you play it on your grass, it turns your grass to weed. Wiz is usually my go to in that mood.

Great answer and story. How long did you play lacrosse for?

Just now, 112 said:

Great answer and story. How long did you play lacrosse for?

3 years. Club 8th grade, varsity freshmen/sophomore. But it wasn't to be. I tore my ACL freshman year which ended my 2nd half of that season. Then my sophomore year, I tore my meniscus halfway through the season again. After that injury, my mind mentally checked out of the sport. I made full recoveries in both situations, but I was too scared to go through the process all over again. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

3 years. Club 8th grade, varsity freshmen/sophomore. But it wasn't to be. I tore my ACL freshman year which ended my 2nd half of that season. Then my sophomore year, I tore my meniscus halfway through the season again. After that injury, my mind mentally checked out of the sport. I made full recoveries in both situations, but I was too scared to go through the process all over again. 

Damn, sorry to hear that, but I guess the silver lining is that you recovered fully. I'm not sure how bad those injuries can get, but having to carry around some sort of physical issue for one's whole life would not be not a fun ordeal. Did you pick up any other extracurriculars after lacrosse was no longer a thing?

14 minutes ago, 112 said:

Damn, sorry to hear that, but I guess the silver lining is that you recovered fully. I'm not sure how bad those injuries can get, but having to carry around some sort of physical issue for one's whole life would not be not a fun ordeal. Did you pick up any other extracurriculars after lacrosse was no longer a thing?

There were definitely learning moments in that span. At the very least, it made what I am today.

I was big into sports at this time period. Basketball was what followed. I was on the freshman basketball team as well, but when the knee injuries set in, it set me back from that as well. Still I did travel and city ball (until I hurt my knee again, lol). Outside of that, I did piano, and was part of the school jazz band, which was something I didn't predict would happen going into high school.

Edited by Blue Jay 22
11 hours ago, 112 said:

@Blue Jay 22 @falcon45ca

When I was a wee lad...maybe 8? 10? Playing at recess, and for some reason I was at the top of the slide (one of those old school wood jungle gym setups) keeping the line from getting unruly - gotta hate line budgers.

This one chap, who's on my soccer team with his Dad being the coach, attempts to budge the line. Well, I ain't having none of that malarkey, so I grabbed him by the shoulder to pull him back...what ends up happening is he gets spun off-balance, and falls off the top of the slide. Broke his forearm. 

He never got upset with me, nor his Dad. He was at soccer practice that same week. Man, I felt like a total douche...and I cant even fully remember his name, I think it was Peter?

Stoner music? Hmmm....JJ Cale, Spoon, The Mars Volta, TOOL, Pink Flyod, Death Cab For Cutie...pretty much anything, as long as it doesn't suck

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I'm in Vancouver, soon to be stoned en route to the Canucks/Oilers game.

It's been 10 years since I've gotten high in this town.

Are there memories?

Enjoy the game. I'll be at the one on Friday.

Edited by 112
37 minutes ago, 112 said:

Are there memories?

Enjoy the game. I'll be at the one on Friday.

Oh yes, it was the year before the Olympics and the countdown clock was on. I got a photo of the Olympic start being 420 days away. Classic.

Got to see Luongo play his first game back from his groin injury, he got absolutely lit up by the Coyotes.

Smoked grass inside an establishment for the first time, the New Amsterdam Cafe. I bought the weed from a pipe shop across the street. Had to show him my Sask drivers license to prove I wasn't a narc. 

Got so baked at a volcano cafe, which two ladies graciously gave me their full bag as we were a tad late to be able to get one for ourselves. Got lost walking 7 blocks due to super stoner syndrome.

Good times!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Oh yes, it was the year before the Olympics and the countdown clock was on. I got a photo of the Olympic start being 420 days away. Classic.

Got to see Luongo play his first game back from his groin injury, he got absolutely lit up by the Coyotes.

Smoked grass inside an establishment for the first time, the New Amsterdam Cafe. I bought the weed from a pipe shop across the street. Had to show him my Sask drivers license to prove I wasn't a narc. 

Got so baked at a volcano cafe, which two ladies graciously gave me their full bag as we were a tad late to be able to get one for ourselves. Got lost walking 7 blocks due to super stoner syndrome.

Good times!

Don’t know if you are talking about the actual Amsterdam or not.

but I spent four days there riding around in circles on a bike.:ph34r: