The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rating our trades

smithers joe

At the time I was pretty upset we traded Hunter Shinkaruk and Jared McCann. However, Shinkaruk is in the minors still and Jared McCann looked serviceable but average last year.

The acquisition of Baertschi was pure money. Sutter has been very good when he isn't injured. Gudbranson is a bit of a disappointment, I expected him to develop into a solid top 4 D, and he's really looking like a bottom pairing D on a good team.

Pouliot has struggled heavily, but he's still only 24 years old. Sometimes guys put it all together in their late 20's, so there's still plenty of time for him to improve.

30 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

baertschi...dahlen...goldobin...granlund...gudbranson...leipsic...markstrom...motte...pouliot...sutter

how would you rate them?

Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Gudranson, Pouliot are wins at this point

Motte, Leipsic, Dahlen, Goldobin remain to be seen

Markstrom was a loss.

DAHLEN (Burrows)  A+

GOLDOBIN & 4th (Hansen)  A+

BAERTSCHI (2nd)  B+

GRANLUND (Shinkaruk)  B+

LEIPSIC (Holm)  B+

POULIOT (Pedan, 4th)  B

SUTTER & 3rd (Bonino, Clendening, 2nd)  C+

GUDBRANSON (McCann, 2nd, 4th)  C

MOTTE & JOKINEN (Vanek)  C

MARKSTROM & MATTHIAS (Luongo, Anthony)  D-

(this was a Gillis trade. I miss Lu).

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Gudranson, Pouliot are wins at this point

Both teams can come out for the better in any given trade.  The Pens got what they wanted in the essentially Bonino for Sutter trade.  Win/Win trade.

The Gudranson trade is still a 'work in process' at this point  (he has to be able to remain healthy).

Granlund 8/10

Baertschi 9/10

Gudbranson 7/10

Goldobin 9/10

Dahlen 10/10

Pouliot 9/10

Motte 9/10

Sutter 3/10

Ratings based on what we gave up. Not necessarily how good they are now. 

Goldy and Dahlen were acquired for old vets that weren’t in our plans going forward. Dahlen and Goldy have/had high upside.

Shinkaruk has bounced around and is a career AHLer at this point. Granny is a good depth guy.

Not even sure who was drafted with the pick used for Baer. But Baer is our best LWer. Despite all the goofs that kept advocating moving him for a 2nd rounder he is a very good player. Getting a top 6 player for a 2nd round pick is a win, even if he is considered “fringe” top 6er.

Got a 5/6 d-man for a career AHLer and a 4th round pick. Pouliot trade is an easy 9. Even go as far to say that’s a 10.

Loved the Gudbranson trade when it happened. Health is the only reason I have him at 7. Didn’t the guy they selected with the 2nd rounder in the deal not sign with them?

I love Sutter. But we overpaid for him. Hard to say we won a trade when they got a guy that was a beast in their cup runs AND we overpaid on top of it all.

Motte is same deal as Dahlen and Goldy. Vanek was not apart of our future. Old vet we got for “free” in Free Agency. Motte is a battler and I love his game. Forward version of Stecher.

Everyone points to Baertschi as this shining trading moment for Elmer ...

Does anyone believe we could get a high 2nd round pick for him today ?

Word has it that we tried to move him at last yrs deadline and this off season, and nothing close to that was offered.

Not only was this not a "great" trade as so many of you point to....IMO , we lost this trade.

And this is one of his BEST trades ???

It's certainly not as bad as most...but Cmon ??

• -SN- changed the title to Rating our trades
5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

baertschi...dahlen...goldobin...granlund...gudbranson...leipsic...markstrom...motte...pouliot...sutter

how would you rate them?

Are you rating the player or the trade?

If it is the trade then any trade that moved a guy out who would no longer be on this team is an A in my books because it produced an NHL player, regardless of how good the player is.

i.e. Bear-cheese, Goldy, Granny, Leipsic, Pouliot are all "A's
Honourable mention to Dahlen because he has yet to make the NHL and Motte because we could still use Vanek nut Motte is looking good.

I like all these deals.

Hard to rate them relative to each other given they all represent different values - and values spent - but I'd take any of those deals at the time, and over again with the benefit of hindsight.

I would note that Marky was a move made by Gillis.

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

how would you rate them?

First three - definitely love these (2 top-six scoring wings, plus maybe a 3rd for declining assets and a 2nd?  Heck yes) A-

Granny - was a doubter at first (his AHL totlals were mediocre), now I'd agree that it's a steal (relatively - Hunter's a bust) B

Leipsic - low cost, medium reward (liked him as a Leaf, hope he meets his potential as a gritty scorer) B-

Motte - thought he wasn't much more than a throw-in for the Vanek deal, any development would gravy B-

Sutter - I'm not mad at the cost (Bonino = wash, Clendening = meh), he's solid defensively and needed on this team B-

Pouliot - expecting more but for Pedan that's still a steal (20 point D-men are not bad to have) C

Now these guys would probably get a failing grade in my books

Guddy - I wonder if Tallon pulled the wool over Benning's eyes with this one (they were hyping him so much as a glue guy on the team)... he's not really a modern NHL-type D-man and he gets beaten by speed... physicality for being a defensive liability does not seem worth it esp. at the price of assets it cost to acquire him

Markstrom - he's had his moments but he's also had times when he was a sieve.  At the time it might have looked like a decent return for Lu but I doubt he'll become that high caliber starter he was projected to become.  

Letter grade and impact (what we lost, size of deal, performance on both sides etc) out of 5

CURRENT ROSTER
Dahlen A+ (1.5). Fantastic trade getting a quality prospect for Burrows. Burrows was pretty much worthless at the time and opened up a late season roster spot. 

Baertschi A- (3). Baertschi has done a job in Vancouver (when healthy). Pick became Rasmus Andersson who is a good prospect. 

Goldobin A- (2.5). Hansen at the time was a much better player than Burrows and had a year left on his contract. We also got a pick that was flipped into two picks and became

Petrus Palmu. Goldobin has outscored Hansen 12-4 since the trade and is still in the league. 

Granlund B+ (2.5) - I hated this trade at the time but it worked out well. Shinkaruk has played just 14 games since the trade and Granlund had a 19 goal season here. His numbers took a bit of a hit last year but he still played a solid bottom six role. 

Leipsic A (1) - Pretty much a free pickup. Leipsic is still on the roster and looked good last year. Time will tell. 

Pouliot C+ (2) - Pouliot hasn't been great, but he has been decent at times. Pedan is no longer in the league, so a 4th round pick to take a chance isn't bad but he hasn't done much more than a waiver-type guy. 

Sutter C+ (3) - Sutter has done his job well during the losing seasons, a lot of hockey analysts thought this was a bad trade for us. As of right now I'd rather have Sutter over Bonino even if he is a bit overpaid. 

Motte C+ (1.5) - Not very good return at the time for a guy who put up solid numbers. At the very least Motte made the team out of camp and is looking like a good bottom six forward. 

Gudbranson F (3.5) - Lost a good young centre in McCann, DeBrincat fell to our pick, plus Gudbranson has been awful. To top it off we sign him for way more money than he is worth. 

OTHER BENNING TRADES
5th for Larsen - F (1)

Jensen + 6th for Etem - C- (1.5)

Kassian + 5th for Prust - F (2.5)

Bieksa for a 2nd - A (2)

Lack for a 3rd and 7th - C (3)

Forsling for Clendening - F (2)

3rd + Mallet for Pedan - D- (1.5)

2nd for Vey - D- (2)

Kesler + 3rd for Bonino + Sbisa + 1st (McCann) + 3rd - C+/B- (4)

3rd for Dorsett - B+ (2.5)

Garrison + Costello + 7th for 2nd - A (2)

The Kesler deal is hard. It would be a higher score if we didn't make the Gudbranson trade most likely, but at the same time given his salary, injury, and lack of production I am happy we have Sutter over him. 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Granlund 8/10

Baertschi 9/10

Gudbranson 7/10

Goldobin 9/10

Dahlen 10/10

Pouliot 9/10

Motte 9/10

Sutter 3/10

Ratings based on what we gave up. Not necessarily how good they are now. 

Goldy and Dahlen were acquired for old vets that weren’t in our plans going forward. Dahlen and Goldy have/had high upside.

Shinkaruk has bounced around and is a career AHLer at this point. Granny is a good depth guy.

Not even sure who was drafted with the pick used for Baer. But Baer is our best LWer. Despite all the goofs that kept advocating moving him for a 2nd rounder he is a very good player. Getting a top 6 player for a 2nd round pick is a win, even if he is considered “fringe” top 6er.

Got a 5/6 d-man for a career AHLer and a 4th round pick. Pouliot trade is an easy 9. Even go as far to say that’s a 10.

Loved the Gudbranson trade when it happened. Health is the only reason I have him at 7. Didn’t the guy they selected with the 2nd rounder in the deal not sign with them?

I love Sutter. But we overpaid for him. Hard to say we won a trade when they got a guy that was a beast in their cup runs AND we overpaid on top of it all.

Motte is same deal as Dahlen and Goldy. Vanek was not apart of our future. Old vet we got for “free” in Free Agency. Motte is a battler and I love his game. Forward version of Stecher.

We also played Bonino to high.  His ideal spot is 3rd liner and with this team at the time that wasn't the case.  He was thrust into a 2nd line role, got off to a hot start and then played how he did in Anaheim and people were pissed because he wasn't putting up protypical numbers.  

4 hours ago, martybyrd said:

Word has it that we tried to move him at last yrs deadline and this off season, and nothing close to that was offered.

Not only was this not a "great" trade as so many of you point to....IMO , we lost this trade.

Never heard that.  It also doesn't make sense.  Try to move him but can't and then sign him to a 3 year deal.

5 hours ago, martybyrd said:

Yeah most players who are heavily shopped sign 3 year deals because... Reasons? 

8 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

1. Dahlen

2. Goldobin 

3. Granlund 

..... the rest are pretty much even trades 

Baertschi I would consider at the top of that list however Dahlen could turn out to be a jackpot with Elias. Sutter for Bones was a W despite Boninoes success w Pitty his trade allowed Bo to flourish with a defensive stalwart to back him up. Bo would have had a much tougher time developing behind Hank and bonino . McCann was cancer and is only showing to be a fringe NHLer I'd take a Mammoth 5/6D with leadership attributed every day over a cancerous fringe NHL fwd. 

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Baertschi I would consider at the top of that list however Dahlen could turn out to be a jackpot with Elias. Sutter for Bones was a W despite Boninoes success w Pitty his trade allowed Bo to flourish with a defensive stalwart to back him up. Bo would have had a much tougher time developing behind Hank and bonino . McCann was cancer and is only showing to be a fringe NHLer I'd take a Mammoth 5/6D with leadership attributed every day over a cancerous fringe NHL fwd. 

But who knows who JB would have drafted in that 2nd round -right after Brock.

Archived