The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Teams Turning Heads

With all games complete as of Oct 20th, the collective record of the 7 Cdn franchises stands at: 31 - 17 - 4.

Call that pretty darn surprising. At least 3 Cdn entries were pegged as certain bottom-dwellers as the season got underway. Those 3 have all suffered key injuries as well.

Every Cdn team has had pretty good 'tending, thus far. They've also ALL featured a surprising amount of offence(that is 6 teams, & McD)

****************************************************************                             *****************************************************************

So how many Canadian teams make the PO's? Which ones?

I predict 5 teams make the spring dance: Winnipeg, Vancouver, Edm, TO & Ottawa.

Mtl & Cal miss out.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

With all games complete as of Oct 20th, the collective record of the 7 Cdn franchises stands at: 31 - 17 - 4.

Call that pretty darn surprising. At least 3 Cdn entries were pegged as certain bottom-dwellers as the season got underway. Those 3 have all suffered key injuries as well.

Every Cdn team has had pretty good 'tending, thus far. They've also ALL featured a surprising amount of offence(that is 6 teams, & McD)

****************************************************************                             *****************************************************************

Mtl & Cal miss out.

I was with you until you got to "Every Cdn team has had pretty good 'tending, thus far."

You have Edmonton making it? If McDavid isn't scoring their team isn't scoring. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success over a full season. Edmonton needs depth scoring like a bad habit. Everyone other than Draisaitl and McDavid need to be better offensively.

Vancouver, as has been stated before, started hot in prior seasons. We haven't been truly tested yet, specifically on the injury front. Pettersson is a loss, but how big depends on how many games he misses. Goaltending has been good, but can it be sustained? I don't like making predictions but this Vancouver team can surprise a lot of people come April. I am excited to see how it unfolds. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

We haven't been truly tested yet, specifically on the injury front.

Those road wins in contending teams' cities weren't a true test?  And what team can sustain the level of injuries this one has the past 2-3 years?  Heard complaints in the GDT last night of the Bruins "missing" Krug and McAvoy -- well how about the Canucks missing Edler and Tanev, not to mention Bo, Sutter, Boeser, Sven, Granlund, etc.?

Didn't think about it while quickly typing up the OP, but there's been about(guesstimate) 10 Cdn on Cdn matchups, thus far(we've had 3 ourselves). So you minus 10 wins/10 losses from that top number...

21 - 7 - 4  Early-on, I have been noticing the Cdn teams winning the vast majority of tilts vs US counterparts. Most of you have stated it's early, as well. Fwiw, if all 7 Cdn teams could make the dance(prob almost impossible),I'd gladly take it.

Be better if all Cdn fans could get over their irrational, regional-hatreds. Rivalries & a lil' mud-slinging..well okay. It's the League itself, & wh*ring, dishonest lackey-media who really get my goat!

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You have Edmonton making it? If McDavid isn't scoring their team isn't scoring. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success over a full season. Edmonton needs depth scoring like a bad habit. Everyone other than Draisaitl and McDavid need to be better offensively.

Vancouver, as has been stated before, started hot in prior seasons. We haven't been truly tested yet, specifically on the injury front. Pettersson is a loss, but how big depends on how many games he misses. Goaltending has been good, but can it be sustained? I don't like making predictions but this Vancouver team can surprise a lot of people come April. I am excited to see how it unfolds. 

A spontaneous shot in the dark! Always hated 'dem Coil. But I'll confess to a soft spot for their wunderkid. Love how Canada continues to produce such gems.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I like your thinking with how the team will be doing come April.  Just think how big of a jump in team success when Hughes is injected into the lineup at the end of his College season. :)

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Mtl & Cal miss out.

When we hit the 50 mark of the season I hope you will return to this post and take a few lessons from it.  

4 minutes ago, samurai said:

When we hit the 50 mark of the season I hope you will return to this post and take a few lessons from it.  

At that point anyone's just a glorified trends-analyst..Who cares, & where's the fun in that!?

In Oct, it's the light-hearted grist of simply reading tea leaves. People are welcome to laugh/cry & hyperventilate about my wacky predictions to their heart's content!

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

At that point anyone's just a glorified trends-analyst..Who cares, & where's the fun in that!?

In Oct, it's the light-hearted grist of simply reading tea leaves. People are welcome to laugh/cry & hyperventilate about my wacky predictions to their heart's content!

I will take being glorified at analysis over being dumb anyday.   I like wacky but you don't have it.  

Winnipeg, Toronto , and a lot of maybes is all I see. Calgary and Vancouver could pull wildcards Ottawa will drop from contention , Edmonton is not a well oiled machine, Montreal is over achieving right now . As much as I want playoff hockey I think

Vancouver still needs another good draft before the rebuild is complete . Making the playoffs won’t help this year. 

Archived