The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Alex Edler

I'd be fine with a trade but Eddie would have to agree to it of course. I'll be fine if he chooses to stay too though, the clause was negotiated into his contract and he's still useful to us. Ideally we'd see a trade and him coming back next season imo. Edler gets dumped on a lot but our d core would sure look a lot uglier without him. If he had sufficient top four support beyond Tanev he wouldn't have to play as much and we'd likely see fewer mistakes.

He's had a real resurgence since last Christmas or so.  I'd love to see a quality RHD prospect coming back, but I'm also open to re-signing him.  Neither OJ nor Hughes will be ready for the first pairing, and ideally wouldn't be counted on to have to play in the top 4.  We'll need vets in the D group and I'd rather not overpay for a UFA.

Sorry calling BS

CDC and HF Boards all agree with a near majority  Edler sucks.  They are now and always will be more knwoledgable than 30 professional hockey GMs backed with dozens of scouts and mountains of data so no way this can be a real story and certainly not a pick and a prospect pfft

OK for real though, i'd be very ok with a trade and re-sign.  At this point i'd also just be ok with a re-sign to retirement deal.  Almost 33 years old, 3-5 years at $3 ish million per leading in to retirement.  The Canucks are one of the few teams over the last decade that can say they drafted and retired their players after only playing on one team.  Be nice if it happened with Eddy too

But we need picks and prospects and this is the year to get both

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's had a real resurgence since last Christmas or so.  I'd love to see a quality RHD prospect coming back, but I'm also open to re-signing him.  Neither OJ nor Hughes will be ready for the first pairing, and ideally wouldn't be counted on to have to play in the top 4.  We'll need vets in the D group and I'd rather not overpay for a UFA.

This is just it.  Who would fill the #1 D spot until Hughes or Juolevi is ready.  Benning has taken a cautious approach with young players in the past.  He has not assumed that they will just slot in.  Examples are Pettersson, Gaudette, Hutton, Stecher.....you name it.  He has been adding veterans just in case:  Weircoich, Gagner, Beagle, Schaller, Gudbranson, Roussel, Sutter, Del Zotto.  Why would he change now.

I think that this is just a case that Edler is in the final year of his contract without a renewal and he is attractive as a rental.  The vultures are circling.

Benning would be crazy to let Edler go.  He would have a great deal of difficulty in finding a veteran replacement particularly at the term that Edler may be willing to sign at.

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.

Since returning from injury last January he's been playing like a much younger version of himself. Resurged indeed.

If he'd accept a trade and resign in July scenario, he'd achieve legendary status in Vancouver. 

Unless by some crazy stroke of fate we're in a playoff position in Feb... That'd be unexpected, but warrant an extension

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sorry calling BS

CDC and HF Boards all agree with a near majority  Edler sucks.  They are now and always will be more knwoledgable than 30 professional hockey GMs backed with dozens of scouts and mountains of data so no way this can be a real story and certainly not a pick and a prospect pfft

OK for real though, i'd be very ok with a trade and re-sign.  At this point i'd also just be ok with a re-sign to retirement deal.  Almost 33 years old, 3-5 years at $3 ish million per leading in to retirement.  The Canucks are one of the few teams over the last decade that can say they drafted and retired their players after only playing on one team.  Be nice if it happened with Eddy too

But we need picks and prospects and this is the year to get both

Would he tough for him to turn down the 5 mil he could easily get on the open market.

16 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I'll be happy with just one of HIGH draft pick OR a top prospect 

I'd rather the pick.

Jimbo seems to be lights out with the drafting in the first and second round. No duds - some 'underperformers', but all serviceable players at the very least.

No Patrick Whites thus far.

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Would he tough for him to turn down the 5 mil he could easily get on the open market.

He might not care about it.

He could be one of the rare breed who simply wants to live where he wants to live, and that's Vancouver. If an extra 4-8 million over the life of the contract doesn't make that much difference to him, then it doesn't.

Archived