The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Alex Edler

58 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Not to disagree with you KH but Edler has been a stud since day 1 here. Dude gets an undeserved rough ride. Sure if he waived and we got assets that would be a plus but he owes the francise absolutely 0.

Like Ohlund he belongs in the ROH.

ROH? Stud? You've lost your mind...

Some of the worst hockey IQ and bone headed decisions I have seen since the days of Brent Sopel. 

He shows small sample sizes of brilliance otherwise tarnished by crazy inconsistency and mind blowing turn overs. 

He is a 2nd pairing guy AT BEST forced into being a #1 on a very shallow D core. 

12 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

he owes the francise absolutely 0.

If he owes us nothing, we should owe him nothing. He just is getting old and I am ready to move on from the entire old regime of players. Not advocating to go sign a same age D for a long deal for more $ than Edler either. 

Just dont think we should be handing out another semi long contract with all but assured another NTC to an aging player so he can retire here

Trade and re-sign would be lovely if we're really tanking around the trade deadline. If we're anywhere near a playoff spot I'd keep him, those pressure games would be brilliant for our young guys to play in. The importance of even 1 round of playoff games for the likes of Boeser, Pettersson and co. would be far more valuable than trading Edler for picks even.

To all those who think he's useless, he's still our #1 defenceman, misses one game and we get spanked by one of the worst teams in the league. He has been this team's unsung hero for a long time and one of the most underrated Canucks for years on these boards. We can afford to miss one of Edler or Tanev for a game or two but look what happens when they're both gone.

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Very similar to what they have in place right now with NYRs.

TB 2nd is up in the air with the NYR trade from last year. Personally we would be lucky to even get Foote in any trade for our D. I think Tanev for Foote is closer than Foote plus a pick for pending ufa Edler

42 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

TB 2nd is up in the air with the NYR trade from last year. Personally we would be lucky to even get Foote in any trade for our D. I think Tanev for Foote is closer than Foote plus a pick for pending ufa Edler

Edler @ 2.5mil (50% retained) would be an amazing addition to a cap strapped team (could even take back a cap dump). That could boost his value big time.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Tampa has Hedman and McDonagh for LHDs. They'd be much more interested in Tanev.

As for contenders with a need for LHD, Winnipeg would be a great fit. And Edler lived there before, would stay in the West, and be on a SC favourite. He might waive, esp if Canucks planned to bring him back July 1st.

• 2 months later...

I guess it has moved from speculation to rumour at this point?

Benning just said the Edler situation is a front burner issue right now and they are discussing how to move forward this week.  Edler also acknowledged that he knows the options are on the table and didn’t shut it down like some folks keep suggesting is the case.

I think anything doesn’t happen until right at the deadline to reduce the time he is away from his family and when the price will be highest.

Having said that, at the start of the season I would have said the most likely scenario was that we would re-sign him st the deadline.  Now I think there is a better chance he moves and we try to re-sign him in the summer.

There are benefits to either choice.  If we don’t ask him to waive, we can leverage for a good discount on a 2-3 year term compared with market value.

If we ask and he agrees to waive, we get a really good return but will have to pay closer to market rate for him as a UFA.

Good need either way.  Anyone who doubted that he is our best D before this season probably has changed their minds now.  This is his best season since his back injury and we don’t have anyone better on that side to ease the kids into more meaningful minutes.

Have been on team Trade Edler for the past few years, but now have sort of waffled on that and would prefer we keep him unless we are getting an absolute blue chip prospect in return... 

Late 1st round picks don't carry enough value, IMO... the chance we get a player of Edler's quality back at 25-30 is not good enough... 

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

Have been on team Trade Edler for the past few years, but now have sort of waffled on that and would prefer we keep him unless we are getting an absolute blue chip prospect in return... 

Late 1st round picks don't carry enough value, IMO... the chance we get a player of Edler's quality back at 25-30 is not good enough... 

True, but Edler will only last a couple more years.    The prospect give us years and years. 

11 minutes ago, awalk said:

Benning has been pretty solid with his picks in late 1st and early 2nd round. (Boeser, McCann, Demko, Lind, Woo)

It isn’t a matter of Elder compared with that... it is likely missing 20-30 games of Edler when we are out of the playoffs anyways.  The likelihood of him re-signing in the summer isn’t that much reduced by trading him for a Cup run.  He controls all the cards, so it won’t be a matter of poisoning the relationship.

It will be, “Hey we want you here, are you willing to do this for us in return for maybe an extra year of term and a higher market rate salary?”

The big discussion would be whether to really try and pull the trigger sooner to reduce the chance he gets hurt and we miss our chance.

Edler is putting together a fantastic season. He’s really eliminated his bonehead turnovers from years past. Years ago people were saying he was unmovable and now I’d say first and a good prospect. He’s a 25+ minute dman, plays in all situations, blocks a ton of shots, and if he didn’t get injured would be on pace for 50+ points this year.

Archived