The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Nate Schmidt

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

This will either be a huge bargain or a huge flop. Schmidt was their #1D during their cup run, massively underrated.

I lean towards the first half. Even though he didn't get the minutes in Washington to put up more points, his underlying numbers were off-the-charts good. There is abundant evidence that he is a legit top-pairing defenseman, in his prime. He's sort of like Matthias Ekholm or Hampus Lindholm - a lot of people who just look at points don't realize that he is an elite, complete defenseman.

Honestly, given his performance last season, and his impending UFA status, he may have been flirting with $7 million x 7 years on the open market. Perhaps Vegas showing their faith in him during his suspension is a reason the deal came together for $6M x 6.

Just now, D-Money said:

I lean towards the first half. Even though he didn't get the minutes in Washington to put up more points, his underlying numbers were off-the-charts good. There is abundant evidence that he is a legit top-pairing defenseman, in his prime. He's sort of like Matthias Ekholm or Hampus Lindholm - a lot of people who just look at points don't realize that he is an elite, complete defenseman.

Honestly, given his performance last season, and his impending UFA status, he may have been flirting with $7 million x 7 years on the open market. Perhaps Vegas showing their faith in him during his suspension is a reason the deal came together for $6M x 6.

Maybe that 2.2M in guaranteed money has something to do with it. I read he will make $8.8M in his first year and also comes with 10 team no trade list

9 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Knights have lost their minds with these past few contracts. Atrocious and excessive to say the least. 

I didn't like the Tuch one, and was unsure with Pacioretty's. However, I think this will be a very good contract for Vegas.

Schmidt is like Tanev in his prime defensively, but with significantly more offense. I'm actually surprised they got him under $6 without offering 7 or 8 years.

Archived