The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Locker room cancers

Me_

Not a big fan of people using the term 'cancer'.  I generally hear it used by 12 year olds on gaming forums, so this is a new one.  

In any case, we've got awesome individuals on the Canucks in guys like Guddy, Beagle and Bo.  I'm pretty happy that we didn't get Kane in here.

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Gagner preferred to be playing in Vancouver.  It was the team that decided he wouldn't be playing here.

So what if he requested to play closer to home instead of Utica?  That doesn't make him a locker room cancer.

Can't be a locker room cancer if you're no longer in the locker room LOL

I'm Russian so I can speak about some Russian players

Alex Kovalev was a cancer. He was well known for cruising on the ice and for being a guy all about himself in the locker room. Same with Yashin. He signed his big contract and mailed it in. Apparently Yashin refused to take part in defensive drills sometimes. Also the whole sitting out a year contract situation. 

I forget which player it was but he was well known for going around bars in Russia with his girlfriend bragging about how he should get special service for playing in the NHL. Then he would start fights and whatnot and get his ass handed to him every time. Early first round pick who was a big bust. 

Also a really obvious one should be Sean Avery 

Also Voynov besides being a woman beater was a huge douchebag. He was just arrogant to everyone and wouldn't talk to people asking for autographs. 

Compared to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov and Malkin who are much better representatives of my home country and much classier. 

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

We hear a lot about players who have a reputation of being a “locker room cancer”.

From Kassian asking for a trade (cancer) to Gagner asking to play near his family (cancer), here is a place to compile a database of the locker room cancers of the hockey world past, present and future.

Who do you think are the biggest cancers in hockey?

Just because Gagner wants to be closer to home doesn't make him a cancer. Benning just gave himself a win win situation. The Comets can further  the development of players with the extra roster spot and Gagner is now out of sight out of mind while Gagner is hanging at home collecting his pay. That's just good business.

As for your question. Matheson would be cancer one if we are talking about hockey and not locker rooms just because he took a whole lot of games away from a promising star and also because I am still salty. Marc Bergevin would be cancer two, then Hoffman's fiance would be cancer three, and Brian Burke's tie would be four. Just doesn't seem like the same guy and I want to hear that guy unshackled.

My definition of cancer, is Karlsson/Hoffman situation or someone sleeping with another player's wife, not someone asking for a trade.

Anyway, Gagner never got to the point of affecting the Canucks locker room, it was dealt with before it even was a problem.  NOt sure Kassian is a cancer either, maybe he's a problem for the GM/Coach but I don't think his situation affect his teammates at all.

Gagner is a family man and team-first guy and the opposite of a cancer.

We didn't waive him because he was a cancer, we waived him because his performance was not good enough and other guys were better. 

Being a bad NHL player does not make you a cancer.

And letting him play for the Marlies was the humane thing to do. He has a young family who was under the impression they would settle into a home in BC and raise their young family here. Being asked to transplant all of that to upstate New York, and worse, Utica of all places, could be devastating for a young family. Gagner has his family and extended family in Ontario who can help out now. 

For those who haven't been to Utica (I have) - it's a terrible town. It's sketchy, you always feel like you're going to get mugged or shot. The only 2 good things in Utica are the Comets arena, and Utica College for their post-grad degrees.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think Evander Kane was widely regarded as being a cancer during his time in Winnipeg. It came to a head when he showed up in a track suit for a team function and Byfuglien tossed his stuff in a cold tub. Kane was traded to Buffalo about a week later. 

But so far he's a great fit in SJ. Maybe it had as much to do with Buff having a problem with Kane as much as anything else. I don't like the idea of labelling someone a "cancer" when no one outside of the room knows whats going on. 

15 hours ago, Me_ said:

We hear a lot about players who have a reputation of being a “locker room cancer”.

From Kassian asking for a trade (cancer) to Gagner asking to play near his family (cancer), here is a place to compile a database of the locker room cancers of the hockey world past, present and future.

Who do you think are the biggest cancers in hockey?

Neither of these guys are cancers based on your definition.

The biggest cancers are those guys who sleep with their team mates wives/fiances but this is usually kept behind closed doors and is left to rumor or speculation. It is thought this is what ended Mike Comrie's days in Edmonton and there may be some other examples. Albeit, the wives should also be held to balme (it takes two to tangle) this is the ultimate douche thing to do, there is really nothing lower that can compare to this.

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Gagner is a family man and team-first guy and the opposite of a cancer.

We didn't waive him because he was a cancer, we waived him because his performance was not good enough and other guys were better. 

Being a bad NHL player does not make you a cancer.

And letting him play for the Marlies was the humane thing to do. He has a young family who was under the impression they would settle into a home in BC and raise their young family here. Being asked to transplant all of that to upstate New York, and worse, Utica of all places, could be devastating for a young family. Gagner has his family and extended family in Ontario who can help out now. 

For those who haven't been to Utica (I have) - it's a terrible town. It's sketchy, you always feel like you're going to get mugged or shot. The only 2 good things in Utica are the Comets arena, and Utica College for their post-grad degrees.

basically its Surrey

Archived