The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Locker room cancers

Me_

On 2018-10-31 at 2:21 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

This summer I witnessed Evander Kane drop off a pizza and some orange juice to a homeless guy in South Hill, and drive away afterwards. While I've heard horror stories about the guy, what I witnessed was pretty thoughtful and selfless.

I mean it’s gotta be tough to be an asshole all the time. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he returned now (highly doubtful) considering his comments and unwillingness to play for the Comets, would he be a cancer to our room now?

No.  Because I'm sure the players on the team would respect his decision to want to play closer to his family.

The posters here should also respect this.  Pretty sad it's even a question for some of you.

On 30/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, Me_ said:

We hear a lot about players who have a reputation of being a “locker room cancer”.

From Kassian asking for a trade (cancer) to Gagner asking to play near his family (cancer), here is a place to compile a database of the locker room cancers of the hockey world past, present and future.

Who do you think are the biggest cancers in hockey?

how are either os those two things locker cancer material?  Not even close, imo

31 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

No.  Because I'm sure the players on the team would respect his decision to want to play closer to his family.

The posters here should also respect this.  Pretty sad it's even a question for some of you.

I guess you know for certain how the other guys (especially the Utica call-ups) feel about a player who refused to help them.  There is no need for you to be insulting to those who have a different opinion than yours, is there?  

Clearly you are a Gagner fanboy, and that's okay.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about Betman?  :o 

Inducted into the HOF in 2018... While in 2020 has a 4th straight lockout under his tenure.  We honor the bad guy, what a world we live in. I won’t miss that cancerous count when he finally decides to say good night and resign. Still baffles me that they induct him while on the job. (Off topic my bad but he is a bad guy)

21967715-671E-476F-95CE-36BFBF928EED.gif

4 hours ago, stawns said:

how are either os those two things locker cancer material?  Not even close, imo

This thread is not supposed to be about my opinion on Kassian or Gagner. Those two players have been deemed “cancer” players very recently in other threads.

This thread is supposed to be about your opinion on what makes a player a “cancer” and who those players are.

I think most posters got the gist of it. Sorry for the lack of clarity. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I guess you know for certain how the other guys (especially the Utica call-ups) feel about a player who refused to help them.  There is no need for you to be insulting to those who have a different opinion than yours, is there?  

Clearly you are a Gagner fanboy, and that's okay.

How does it make me a fan boy because I have respect for people?

Give your head a shake.  If anyone has a problem with Gagner playing closer to his family,  I would be more inclined to think that player is more the problem than Gagner.  We want our prospects playing in Utica growing as players anyway,  not guys like Gagner taking the ice time..

Since not playing on the Flames top line, which he may have been lured to the team with promises of, James Neal has been visibly and vocally (according to Elliotte Friedman) disgruntled. He recently called out Smith mid-game on his apparent lack of focus on a play (it's on a Tim & Sid clip on YouTube), and they were up by 2 goals at the time. 

I know he was good in Vegas last year (seems almost everything was) but from this short season so far would you consider James Neal a locker room cancer? 

2 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

Since not playing on the Flames top line, which he may have been lured to the team with promises of, James Neal has been visibly and vocally (according to Elliotte Friedman) disgruntled. He recently called out Smith mid-game on his apparent lack of focus on a play (it's on a Tim & Sid clip on YouTube), and they were up by 2 goals at the time. 

I know he was good in Vegas last year (seems almost everything was) but from this short season so far would you consider James Neal a locker room cancer? 

Base on that, a hunch tells me that Vrbata was also probably a cancer in his 2nd year here when he was moved-off the Sedin line.

McCann probably was also someone that management didn’t like because of his attitude, hence, why he was traded for Guddy. I remember the Sedins calling out players for not trying hard enough in the 2015-16 season, and we believe it was the young guys Virtanen/McCann/Hutton. As years progress, both Virtanen and Hutton seems to be guys who are able to work hard and adjust to play better at a professional level. Those 2 completely transformed after 2 years, which tells me that management thought at the time Virtanen and Hutton both have better attitude/willingness to adapt than McCann did.

Off the ice, Alan Eagleson, for what he did to Bobby Orr and the players union in general.  On the ice, read some things about Eddie Shack back in the day, about how his act wore real thin real fast with teammates, which is why he bounced around a bit.  Maybe Derek Sanderson as well?    

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, ruilin96 said:

Base on that, a hunch tells me that Vrbata was also probably a cancer in his 2nd year here when he was moved-off the Sedin line.

Without all doubt.  Guys don't like lazy floaters who probably should have been suspended for their lack of effort.

I prefer to focus on the positive.  I want to comment on how important integrity and character are in this league.  I feel like this current team is very solid and the fact that they play a hard, skilled, fast game versus a dirty one is a much better foundation to build on.

Hearing the way they talk...seeing things like the Building Brock special or interviews with EP about how important family is to him.  These young men bring so much pride to our city...not only in how great they are on the ice, but off as well.

I must have watched the prom segment 3 times now because it wasn't just a gesture of kindness.  Brock was truly thrilled and outwardly displayed that...it was so organically sincere.  The hairdressing part too...that he is sharing his story with those close to him.  These guys are humble and true to their roots.

Just beaming like a proud Mama Bear.   I feel like part of the reason they're bonding and have so much chemistry is because they share similar values and there' isn't peer pressure in relation to hazing type behavior where you have to prove yourself as this or that.   They all seem to be on the same page.  Even the banning of Fortnite on the road...obviously, if some aren't into gaming it can be alienating and form cliques.  To eliminate that aspect of things was a great idea in my view.  This team has always been ahead of the curve in things that help the team away from the game.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, Me_ said:

We hear a lot about players who have a reputation of being a “locker room cancer”.

From Kassian asking for a trade (cancer) to Gagner asking to play near his family (cancer), here is a place to compile a database of the locker room cancers of the hockey world past, present and future.

Who do you think are the biggest cancers in hockey?

EDIT:

This thread is not supposed to be about my opinion on Kassian or Gagner. Those two players have been deemed “cancer” players very recently in other threads.

This thread is supposed to be about your opinion on what makes a player a “cancer” and who those players are.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. 

How is this a cancer.  He was being demoted to the AHL, its not like he said he wouldn't report to Utica but the team thought good will to send him to Marlies so his family had direct flights to visit him was the best thing....

Archived